Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > January 26th - February 9, 2020

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1452 comments Mod
If a book has a forward do you read it? Are you more likely to read it if it's written by a famous person?

message 2: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 650 comments Mod
Read every word including the author acknowledgements 😊

message 3: by Cátia (new)

Cátia | 574 comments I read everything too

message 4: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2214 comments I always start to read a forward, but if the writer rambles on too long, I jump to the book proper.

I skim other 'extras' like author acknowledgements.

message 5: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments I'm pretty inconsistent about this. Generally I look it over first, to get a sense of whether reading the forward is necessary to understanding the book. I also check out how long it is - the longer it is, the less likely I will be to read it all carefully. :-)

I agree about the length. I just finished a book, and I'll have to try and figure out which one, that had a forward that went on forever. I read part of it and just gave up. If a book needs a 50 page forward the book needs to be edited or something - I don't know what.

message 7: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2214 comments I'm with you, Sheri.

I read a book by a well-known author many years ago with a 20+ page forward by another well-known author that was nothing but a recap of their friendship and a string of anecdotes that 'showed' what a wonderful guy the book's author was.

Did you read all 20+ pages?

message 9: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2214 comments Sheri wrote: "Did you read all 20+ pages?"

Nope, quit reading after 5, skimmed the rest in less time than it took me to read the 5.