The Glass Woman
This topic is about The Glass Woman
Books of the Month 2020 > February 2020- The Glass Woman - Gothic

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katrisa | 207 comments Mod
This is the discussion for
The Glass Woman by Caroline Lea

1686, ICELAND. AN ISOLATED, WINDSWEPT LAND HAUNTED BY WITCH TRIALS AND STEEPED IN THE ANCIENT SAGAS.
Betrothed unexpectedly to Jón Eiríksson, Rósa is sent to join her new husband in the remote village of Stykkishólmur. Here, the villagers are wary of outsiders.
But Rósa harbours her own suspicions. Her husband buried his first wife alone in the dead of night. He will not talk of it. Instead he gives her a small glass figurine. She does not know what it signifies.
The villagers mistrust them both. Dark threats are whispered. There is an evil here - Rósa can feel it. Is it her husband, the villagers - or the land itself?
Alone and far from home, Rósa sees the darkness coming. She fears she will be its next victim . . .

I am excited for this one!

Jamie Zaccaria I've started this one and have mixed feelings. I love the gothic plotline and the amazing setting. The writer is great at description but I find the characters and dialogue to be an odd mix of romance novel and young adult that's offputting. I'll keep going for now though.

Jamie wrote: "I've started this one and have mixed feelings. I love the gothic plotline and the amazing setting. The writer is great at description but I find the characters and dialogue to be an odd mix of roma..."
I can agree with you there. My favorite things were the setting and gothic atmosphere. I enjoyed the book overall but not as much as Du Maurier gothic books

Jamie Zaccaria Trigger Warning for those who want it: Sexual abuse.

:-(

Jamie Zaccaria This book is reminiscent of Rebecca but with an entirely unique setting and much less intelligent dialogue. I loved how the author made us feel like we were in 17th century Iceland, it was a setting I have never experienced before and the realism of it is what kept me going. The mystery was good enough, especially once it finally got going. My biggest complaint was the YA-esque dialogue and unnecessary sexual assault. That being said, this was a chilly gothic tale worth a read for those who like both du Maurier and Vikings.

3 Stars.