Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Not By Chance
This topic is about Not By Chance
Not by Chance Characters

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Focus on a major or minor character from your anchor text.
Examine the characters language or interaction with other characters.
Include a quote with your examination.
Respond to two peers examination detailing your reaction to their analysis.
DO NOT REPEAT YOUR PEERS RESPONSES.

message 2: by Shaunae (last edited Jan 30, 2020 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shaunae | 20 comments The character that I chose to talk about in the novel, “Not By Chance, by J. Bliss, is Ms. Cynthia, Drew’s secretary. I think she is a very unassuming character and it’s interesting to bring light to background characters that are not usually discussed.

Ms. Cynthia is like a mother figure to Drew, as well as his secretary. She is always there to remind him of his meetings, packages he has received, or whenever he has special guests waiting for him in his office (although that’s in her job description as a secretary, it is evident that she has taken a liking to Drew). Ms. Cynthia always takes the initiative to check in on Drew to make sure he is okay when in his office. The author infers this in chapter 10 when Drew states, “Sh*t, Ms. Cynthia is buzzing for me on my phone. I rush out of the shower knowing if I don’t respond she will come into my office looking for me...Ms. Cynthia is at the door and it unlocks. Is she coming in my office? I rush over before she can enter. I swear she thinks she is my mother”(Bliss, 2018, p. 111-112). This scene shows me that Drew and Ms. Cynthia have built that kind of mother-son relationship over time (with all due respect of course).

In addition, Ms. Cynthia is very down to earth and honest with Drew. In the novel she tells Drew, “Mr. Rodd, I noticed the pretty young lady you left the office with earlier…Jasmine is a beautiful young lady. It was refreshing to see you with someone”(Bliss, 2018, p. 128). In that scene, Bliss helps me to realize that Ms. Cynthia noticed a change in Drew. She was aware that he never brought any female to his office before, so when she saw him with Jasmine, it brought her comfort.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments From the novel "Not by Chance" by J.Bliss, you are introduced to the character Victoria. Victoria is depicted as a vibrant and sassy woman. Her bond with Jasmine is a very strong friendship. Although she doesn't seem to be a very good dorm/room-mate, based on her "adventures" with her boyfriend Romel on the dinner table. "...Victoria is dressed in a catsuit purring like a kitten with a whip in her hand. On the table lays Romel in a leather thong." (Bliss P. 6) Her wild side becomes apparent when she's around Romel. Although,it is naturally so since they are in a relationship.

Victoria is a great friend for Jasmine. She helps to get Jasmine out of her comfort zone and plays match-maker while doing so. "Jasmine, why aren't you dancing?I see you noticed Drew! Your exams are over, we are both graduation bound! You have no excuse!" (Bliss P. 54) You can see how she pushes Jasmine out of her comfort zone and into having some fun.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments Shaunae wrote: "The character that I chose to talk about in the novel, “Not By Chance, by J. Bliss, is Ms. Cynthia, Drew’s secretary. I think she is a very unassuming character and it’s interesting to bring light ..."
I agree completely. I feel that she does seem to be a maternal anchor to Drew. Which is great given how he was emotionally neglected by his own parents.

message 5: by Braxton (new)

Braxton | 12 comments The character I chose to address in the novel not by chance would be Andrew Rodds attorney Chad I believe Chad is a good friend with a skilled man Chad is introduced into the story displaying down to earth mannerisms. Andrew and chance relationship exudes informality. By the “you know my voice and complexion confuses most bliss( p.131 ) it is assume he fits in well with his open counterparts

message 6: by Braxton (new)

Braxton | 12 comments Shaunee, I completely agree with you I believe that Cynthia comes off as a mother figure to him She’s always on top of things for him Doing the most as a secretary should be for whom they are working for Great response.

message 7: by Braxton (new)

Braxton | 12 comments Amber , I agree with your response about Victoria being a sassy woman there had been numerous of times in the book novel that she expressed to jasmine And how demanding she can be to her Bestfriend wanting to know answer about her and drew

message 8: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments In the story, Not By Chance, by J. Bliss, the character Romel Addock, is introduced as a loyal friend, to Andrew Rodd. Romel and Andrew has carried a friendship since grade school. Romel has always been there for Andrew, even through facing his toughest obstacles. The author implies, “Drew, haven’t I always bailed you out, particularly when it comes to your parents?”(Bliss, pg. 95) This shows me how close Andrew and Romel are as friends. Andrew trusts Romel to the extent that he is willing to confide in him with personal conflicts.

message 9: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments Replying to Braxton:

I have to agree with the character analysis you’ve given on Chad Maddox. Chad is presented to be down to earth. Chad’s character is also depicted as persistent, Insisting that he is skilled in his work being able to deliver every request asked of him in efficient timing.

message 10: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments Replying to Amber:

Great analysis on the character Victoria! Victoria seemed to be the friend every girl could use from time to time. Victoria encourages Jasmine to see the world beyond her scares. With Jasmine not having that positive impact growing up, Victoria’s opinions are vital to her.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments Jamila wrote: "In the story, Not By Chance, by J. Bliss, the character Romel Addock, is introduced as a loyal friend, to Andrew Rodd. Romel and Andrew has carried a friendship since grade school. Romel has always..."
Drew and Romel's friendship is very close. I feel they feed off of each other well.

message 12: by Mckenzie (last edited Jan 30, 2020 08:19PM) (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments In the Novel 'Not By Chance" the character I chose to talk about is Romel . Romel is Drew's childhood friend he knows Drew's background as well as Drew's relationships with others . In the book Not By Chance the author conveys Romel to be laid back , honest , smart and freaky .
Romel knows the relationships Drew has with others such as his parents. Romel for the most part doesn't get what Drew says about his mom and dad but still gives his honest opinions as well. In the Novel Drew's states "Romel has always been the only person I was open to talk to without judgment". (j.Bliss pg. 5) The author gives me the notation that Rom is smart he is a graduate right along with Drew and works for him they both have there bachelors of Science with a dual degree in engineering .
Romel is a freak but he is a freak only with Victoria he tries to be innocent but is still a freak ''Romel walks out of the bathroom wearing a white T-shirt and jeans ". Jasmines states how he sits down on the couch with out a care in the world as if nothing happened and he didn't care "(J.Bliss pg. 8)

Shaunae | 20 comments Braxton wrote: "The character I chose to address in the novel, not by chance would be Andrew Rodd's attorney Chad I believe Chad is a good friend with a skilled man Chad is introduced into the story displaying down ..."

Braxton, I think it's interesting that you made note of the informality of Chad and Drew's relationship. Chad is his legal attorney, yet they are more like friends than colleagues. I believe that their friendship pushes Chad to work to the best of his abilities to perform the legal actions that Drew needs as efficiently as he can make them happen. This also makes me think about how much Drew trusts Chad with sensitive information, which strengthens their friendship even more.

message 14: by Anwar (new)

Anwar Jennings | 8 comments In the novel "Not by chance" by author JBliss we are introduced to Drew's best friend, Romel. Romel his been friends with Drew for many years. They both went to elementary school and later college. As shown in the novel, Romel always tries to steer Drew in the right and respectful direction. Because Romel had bin friends with Drew for so long, he is aware of Drew's relationship with his parents. Therefore, he helps Drew not to "fight fire with fire" when it comes to his dad. " Drew, you still think your dad will respect you after this stunt? you need to man up, with yo ogly ass" (Jbliss 2017, Not by chance.)

Romel seems to be the person Drew goes to when he just simply needs someone to talk to. No matter what's the situation they always end up laughing. Romel is very humorous. " Hey Jasmine, you walk up in here looking like Shakira!” (Jbliss, 2017, Not by chance). Romel shows a totally different side of him behind doors with Victoria (his long term girlfriend). "Victoria is dressed in a catsuit purring like a kitten with a whip in her hand. On the table lays Romel in a leather thong." This shows his level of freakiness matches Victoria's own perfectly!

message 15: by Anwar (new)

Anwar Jennings | 8 comments Braxton wrote: "The character I chose to address in the novel not by chance would be Andrew Rodds attorney Chad I believe Chad is a good friend with a skilled man Chad is introduced into the story displaying down ..."
Braxton, I totally agree with your statement. It is evident that they have a history with Chad because of the way they "make fun" of one another and ack like its nothing. For some strange reason, I feel like its more about him than they are saying. I feel as though Drew is hiding stuff that Chad knows about. Yet still, he covers for Drew.