Play Book Tag discussion

January 2020: Thriller > [Poll Ballot] The Cove by Ron Rash / 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 841 comments The Cove by Ron Rash 🎧
β˜… β˜… β˜… 1/2

Laurel Shelton lives in the cove near Mars Hill, North Carolina, that has been deemed cursed by the local townsfolk. The townspeople avoid the cove, and treat Laurel as a pariah. Laurel's only companion is her brother, Hank, who is just home from fighting in a war, and their older neighbor who helps them out occasionally with their run-down farm, and is the only person other than Hank who is kind to Laurel. Laurel is incredibly lonely, and longs for a chance at a happier life. One day a man appears in the cove. He has no possessions to speak of other than a beautiful silver flute, and a note saying his name is Walter, he is mute, and he is on his way to New York. He is in rough shape and is befriended and cared for by Laurel. Once recovered, Hank asks him to stay on for a bit to help with some farm work for pay.

As the story progresses the reader discovers who Walter is and whether his appearance in the cove will lead to the happiness Laurel seeks so desperately, or something else.

The language of this story is really lovely and transports the reader to the cove. The descriptions of the landscape and Laurel's feelings of despair are deeply moving. The suspense of the story is prevalent, beginning with early foreshadowing, and continuing as the mystery of the story unravels bit by bit.

I really loved most of this book. However (BIG SPOILER)...(view spoiler)

message 2: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Great review thanks.
Love Ron Rash, and this one is on my TBR pile.

message 3: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 841 comments David wrote: "Great review thanks.
Love Ron Rash, and this one is on my TBR pile."

Thanks, David. I can see why you'd love this author - the writing really is lovely.