Reading 1001 discussion

The Ghost Road (Regeneration, #3)
This topic is about The Ghost Road
1001 book reviews > The Ghost Road- Pat Barker

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda Dawn | 993 comments The Ghost Road is part 3 of the regeneration trilogy. I actually started with this one, but it works as a standalone as well. I loved it, so am definitely excited to read the others now. It follows a working class WWI officer named Billy Prior who is being treated for shell-shock by real-life psychoanalyst William Rivers before being sent back to the front. It covers their dynamics and psyches, and includes peripheral appearances from poet Siegfried Sassoon and Lewis Carol in Rivers’ reminiscences. There is also a lengthy section about Rivers’ former anthropological travels to the Solomon Islands and meetings with a local witch doctor, before the narrative brings us to Prior dying on the Western front.

I recently was introduced to Barker with Another World- which I loved. I love the quality of her writing and how it seems to really get into the mindset of the trauma of warfare- and this book was no exception. The parts with Dr. Rivers in Melanesia were fascinating as well. I gave it 4 stars.

Diane | 2022 comments Rating: 4 stars

This is the third installment in the Regeneration Trilogy. I'll admit that I skipped the second book, as it isn't included in the 1001 list. Apparently, a lot of other people skipped the 2nd book as there are twice as many ratings for the third. I hope I didn't miss anything important. While this one was good, I liked the first book far better.

Billy Prior has been hospitalized for injuries and shellshock. He is now released from the hospital and heading back to the front. As PTSD wasn't a recognized diagnosis at the time, he hasn't been adequately treated before being sent back to war. He seems much more paranoid than he did inthe first book, as a result.

My favorite parts of the book were the parts that took place in Melanesia.