Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Experienced Beta Reader for YA/A Fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayley (new)

Kayley | 8 comments Hello!

My name's Kayley, and I'm offering free beta reading services for YA and adult novels. I love to read, have beta read and CP'd multiple manuscripts, was an English minor in college, and am a writer myself. I can be a tough critic, but know that any feedback I have will always be constructive. And know that I will compliment the hell out of you if I'm enjoying something. I will mainly focus on developmental stuff such as plotting, characters, pacing, and world-building. If you're looking for a proofreader, I'm not it. I'll let you know if a line of prose or dialogue isn't working for me, but I'm not the best with grammar rules and such.

Reading Preferences:
- Speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, that kind of stuff)
- Contemporary
- Thrillers (especially psychological)
- Historical fiction

I would not be a good beta reader for:
- Mystery/detective fiction
- Romance (I don't mind it as a subplot, but if your book is romance heavy, I would not be the best person to beta read it)

BONUS - can do sensitivity reads for:
- Mental illness (mainly depression and anxiety, but I'm also knowledgeable about other disorders since I have a BA in psych and am working toward going to grad school to become a therapist)
- Visual impairment (I'm legally blind)

Please PM me (or comment here if you'd prefer) with your blurb, word count, and genre and we can go from there. It typically takes me about 3-4 weeks to finish a completed manuscript depending on the length and how busy I am.

Looking forward to reading some new books :)

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 193 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (107,410 words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!
Thank you!

In the land of Fantacia, there are five Kingdoms that rule over all, each having its own species: Farian, Monstro, Mundus, Shifter, and Telik. The Kingdom's are constantly at odds and have been on the brink of war for years.

Hoping to take advantage of the Kingdom's disheveled state is Raven, a Mundus that has three-fourths of her body burned. Richard, a Farian with wings as dark as the night and an unmatched skillset with a sword. Colt, a Shifter with two different colored eyes who escaped the Shifter Kingdom and has unmatched fighting skills.

The small group wishes nothing more than to take over the Kingdom's and claim the thrones for themselves. However, one day Raven runs into the entity of Death, and he forces them to derail their plan and follow his, unknown to Richard and Colt. Raven has to go to the Kingdom that she never wanted to see again, the Mundus Kingdom. There, the group's secrets and pasts begin to slowly rise to the surface, threatning their plans. Raven is forced to do as Death says, which begins to take a physical and mental toll on Raven. However, they still have one goal - revenge.

Please PM me :)

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Barry | 24 comments Hi Kayley,

great to have you on board. I have a 62 000 word YA fantasy with a slightly whimsical edge. I'll include my draft query to see if it appeals to your reading tastes.

‘All’s not well in Everwell’ is a YA fantasy of 62 000 words.
No oracle chose him. No king claims him as a bastard son. A tinkerer rather than a terminator, he is the default setting in a high stakes game. Silvanius von Stumpff, failed fashionista and novice sorcerer of average abilities is currently sent home on leave (read suspended) from the academy of Conjurations and Magicks. Which is a blessing for the queendom of Everwell.
His beloved queendom is about to be invaded by a northern prince and a horde of unstoppable mammosaurs. Concealed within the invader’s ranks is an unbeatable alien mage who plays a double game. The fate of Everwell and the world will reside in the hands of a beta mage in an alpha confrontation. Luckily, Silvie is not alone. The kickass princesses of House Roland and a pair of bling-loving, delinquent dragons will guide his hand. While a mad mage, trapped inside his familiar, helps and hinders him.
War. Death. Exploding pumpkins. His own twisted foot. Silvie must survive them all and be prepared to sacrifice himself and those he loves to fulfil his duty.
If this appeals, I can send you the opening chapters to see if it is a project you would like to work on.
You can contact me at richarddevora(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz if you're interested.

Either way,
thanks for putting yourself forward

Richard

message 4: by James (new)

James Cubby | 15 comments Kayley,
I'm looking for a beta reader for my 69,000 YA Adventure titled MOB TREASURE.
Inspired by Meyer “The Mob’s Accountant” Lanksy’s rumored hiding of millions of dollars, and the hunt to find it. Think National Treasure meets The Last Treasure. (A modern day Treasure Island where the pirates are mobsters.)

Fifteen-year-old Joey Lasky lives in a fantasy world of mafia kingpins and hitmen fueled by stories from his grandfather. In reality, he’s afraid of his own shadow and jumps at the sound of a closing locker – imagining it a gunshot. Now he feels lost and more alone as his beloved grandfather has died.

Armed with a book – Treasure Island - filled with clues sent to him after his grandfather’s death, Joey and his best friend fly to Miami to search for the hidden “treasure.” Joey knows the hunt will be dangerous because his grandfather was a notorious mob boss and the new mob boss has threatened him. Claiming the hidden money is theirs, the mob will stop at nothing to get it, including killing anyone who stands in their way.
Thanks,
James Cubby
cubbysobe@hotmail.com

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Plowman | 18 comments Hi Kayley,
Thank you for your generous offer! I have a 140k historical fantasy with an ancient Greek vibe. I have recd two excellent betas so far, and have since made revisions. I will send you the blurb by PM.
Robert

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie | 7 comments Hi there!

I'm looking for Beta Readers for my completed (118K words) New Adult SFF novel, A COMET AMONG THE STARS. Brief description below. Please message me if you may be interested!

In a world where humans with superhuman abilities (Outliers) are hunted down for what they are, Finley Cooper is perfectly content with her normal life as, well, a Normal. Despite her best efforts, she finds herself falling for one of the bounty hunters tasked with hunting Outliers, the Reapers - a group that has been hated and feared since the end of the War. Logan is Fin's first love, but he's hiding things from her, things that could tear them apart, and he may not be exactly what he seems...

Soon Fin's world is shattered. She discovers that she's not a Normal after all - far from it. She's the most powerful outlier ever to exist, her powers hidden from her all her life. Now on the run for her life from the Department, she has to fight through heartbreak, loss, and betrayal to learn to control the unparalleled power within her. The question is: is there such a thing as too much power?

Thank you!
Katie