Play Book Tag discussion

The Woman in the Window
This topic is about The Woman in the Window
Archive: Other Books > The Woman in the Window / A J Finn - 4****

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments NOTE: this would fit the 'thriller' tag (and how!), but I read it in December

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
The Woman In the Window – A J Finn
Audiobook narrated by Ann Marie Lee.
4****

This psychological thriller (with a capital ‘P’ !) takes its inspiration from the classic films of Alfred Hitchcock, chiefly Rear Window and Vertigo.

Anna Fox is a trained psychologist who now suffers from agoraphobia, trapped by her fear in her 19th-century Harlem brownstone, living vicariously by spying on the neighbors through the telephoto lens of her camera. She’s alone since her husband and daughter left, though she does still talk to them regularly. But mostly she drinks … a lot. And then one day she sees a crime committed in the house across the little park. The family is new to the neighborhood and she’s only met their teen-aged son when he brought over a candle as a new-neighbor gift, so she’s stunned to witness a woman being stabbed. But her inebriated state and her history of psychological problems cause the police to dismiss her complaints. But she just cannot let this go.

Obviously, Anna’s an unreliable narrator. And there are enough twists and turns in the plot to make the reader as unsure as the police about what Anna has actually witnessed. It’s a roller coaster of a ride and I was engaged and interested from beginning to end (even though I guessed the culprit quite a bit before the reveal).

While his Goodreads profile is scant, there is all sorts of information available about A J Finn (a pseudonym) on the internet, including about his own psychological problems. He’s been called both a liar and con man. Still, despite borrowing heavily from Hitchcock and other masters of suspense, he’s crafted a pretty entertaining, and page-turning yarn.

Anne Marie Lee does a marvelous job performing the audiobook. The final scenes are nothing short of chilling!

My full review HERE

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Glad you liked it! I also gave it 4 stars.

LibraryCin | 8318 comments I'm so glad you liked it, too!