Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Southern Cake Baker (Cake and Punishment) by Maymee Bell

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2440 comments Mod
The theme for February is US Region - South, and the book is Cake and Punishment (A Southern Cake Baker Mystery, #1) by Maymee Bell Cake and Punishment.

Sophia Cummings, a professional pastry chef, has come home to Rumford, Kentucky. Includes authentic Southern recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth

Other books in the series are:
Batter Off Dead (A Southern Cake Baker Mystery, #2) by Maymee Bell

message 2: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 531 comments I'm eager to read this because I grew up in a town of the same name. I wonder if the author named the town after the baking powder company, being a baking themed mystery?

message 3: by Alice (last edited Feb 02, 2020 02:27PM) (new)

Alice | 418 comments I started Cake & Punishment today. I am quite enjoying it. Lots of southern flare. If you enjoy cooking cozies with discussion of baking this one will be a treat for you. Good looking recipes in back of book too.

Maymee Bell also writes and Tonya Kappes. I just looked her up.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashielizz) | 72 comments I"m really eager to read this one as I've read a few of Tonya Kappes books and absolutely love her!

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice | 418 comments I finished it last night. Very entertaining. Solid cozy. I see there is a sequel but no more in the series as of yet.

message 6: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 531 comments I liked the story well enough. I stayed up late reading it even though I had already figured out who the murderer was. I didn't have a motive though and when the motive was revealed, it just seemed weak to me. I noticed a couple of odd transitions/inconsistencies. Why is Sophia able to use her phone's GPS after her phone got run over? Then after she moves into the cottage, why does Duchess suddenly appear? Where did she come from?

I loved the baking and really want to try the recipes. I don't like bananas AT ALL and I don't like nuts either but most of the recipes sounded delicious. I need to go see if we have any cocoa powder to make those red velvet crunchies!

message 7: by Zermeena (new)

Zermeena | 270 comments I enjoyed this book a lot and I can't wait to read the next one. I agree with Pooh that there were some inconsistencies like using her phone after it had been run over. I also thought the the ending was weak and rushed. And I didn't understand how her cell phone magically appeared in her pocket. If it was there, why did she have to find someone to make a call?

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne Bannon | 30 comments I'm in the meh crowd. The characters were definitely fun, but there were some serious editing howlers that I've mercifully forgotten. The plot seemd a little week, too.

The narrative was good and, as noted above, the characters were interesting enough.