Black Coffee discussion

2020 Group Reads > Book Blast: Perfect Peace

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2425 comments Mod
Want to do a quick review of the Group Read? Already done with the book? Blast your answers to the following!

1. How did you experience this book? (Paper, e-book, audio)
2. Was this your first time reading the author?
3. Favorite/Least Favorite character(s)? Anyone you would want to meet?
4. Favorite quote(s)?
5. Did you find the ending satisfying?
6. Will you read other books by this author?
7. Would you recommend this book to others?
8. Copy or link to your review if you have written one.

Detailed discussion of the book can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 2995 comments This is my second time reading this book. I was advised not to bother reading anything else by this author. After Perfect Peace his other books are disappointing.

message 3: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 405 comments Dosha (Bluestocking7) wrote: "This is my second time reading this book. I was advised not to bother reading anything else by this author. After Perfect Peace his other books are disappointing."

Dosha, I read “THEY TELL ME OF A HOME”, quite a while ago. I didn’t love it, but it was a 3 star read for me.

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 2995 comments Trudy, how many stars would you give Perfect Peace?

message 5: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 405 comments Dosha (Bluestocking7) wrote: "Trudy, how many stars would you give Perfect Peace?"

My first reading was ten years ago and I gave it 5 stars. This time I vacillated between 4/5. I still really enjoyed it though. How about you?

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 2995 comments It was five stars both times for me. I read it five years ago and am still surprised at how much of it was new to me. I remembered all of the characters and only half of the events.

message 7: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck | 1743 comments I read this book twice myself, and I still think it is a 5 star read.

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 2995 comments We’re there any new insights this second time around?

message 9: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck | 1743 comments The 2nd time I read this book I realized that although Emma Jean’s goal, was to treat her daughter better than her own mother treated her, she ended up being just as lousy at parenting, and maybe even worst.

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 2995 comments You hit the nail on the head. Although EJ had good intentions, she blew it. I don’t think her mother had any good intentions toward her, but she did for the older two daughters and that was damaging also. Emma Jean, although she tried, turned out worse; because through no fault of her own, she was a bit cracked. I think she was the most kind to Authorly and Bart because they didn’t ask much of anything of her. Once Perfect became Paul, he couldn’t get what he wanted either, which was not to go to school but rather to work in the fields. Poor Sol, he should have had a much easier time of schooling. It is also sad that no one ever gave poor Bart a stick. He always walked around with his arms stick out in front of him. SMH. Did they really need to name him BLIND Bartiameus?

message 11: by BernieMck (last edited Jan 31, 2020 09:29AM) (new)

BernieMck | 1743 comments They say hurt people hurt other people. I think Helen Mae hated dark skin, because she was tormented about her own skin color at some point and learned to hate it. If you don't have a healthy experience with being loved just as you are, I'm sure it has to be difficult to know how to give pure love. She put in work, to ensure that her children, would come out light skinned. When it did not work in EJ's case, I think HM's self hate issues resurfaced and kicked EJ down.

I think EJ respected Author because he was a low key bully.
Bart couldn't see so she felt she could let her guard down around him.

EJ gave Blind Bartimaeus his name, hoping his sight would be restored, like the character with the same name, in the Bible.
I think that was a crazy choice, but that was her rationale.

Gus(uneducated) named Authorly after seeing a flyer and mistaking the word author for the writers name.

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 2995 comments Agree with everything you wrote.