Reading List Completists discussion

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
Group Reads > Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1680 comments Mod
Feel free to discuss Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret here!

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

For those interested - here is the page count. I am using the first count that comes up when you list all the editions:

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume - 149 pages

Marlise (mawz76) | 40 comments I read this also toward the second half of last year because it's on one of my lists and I was able to listen to the audio on Libby. I read this probably in 4th or 5th grade and really the only part I had remembered was the bust exercise and chant the girls did. Lol

message 4: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think I am going to start the February short book adventure off with this one.

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Starts today!

Eileen | 145 comments I'm going to read this one as soon as I finished my Mercy Thompson book, which should be in the next hour or so. :)

message 7: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have my copy in hand ready to go!

Eileen | 145 comments "I must, I must, I must increase my bust!" Bwahahahaha! I forgot all about this!

Eileen | 145 comments Totally quick read. Not sure how to rate this one, because while I was highly entertained, I can't help but think that girls today know way more than Margaret did. Her confusion about religion makes a lot of sense to me, and her grandparents (mom's parents) certainly didn't make it any easier. But it makes me even more convinced that we as parents should expose our kids to our faith if we practice one, and demonstrate to them what it means to us. But we should also let them have the freedom to decide for themselves. Too many kids/adults have grown up hating "organized" religion because of people like Margaret's grandparents.

message 10: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wow! Only 43 pages in and I am already part of a secret girl's club! 🤣🤣🤣

Eileen | 145 comments Bwahahaha, right?! You have to do the motions when you do their chant too. 🤣🤣🤣

message 12: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eileen wrote: "Bwahahaha, right?! You have to do the motions when you do their chant too. 🤣🤣🤣"

I haven't gotten to any chanting yet, but I think based on what others have been commenting, I know what it is!

message 13: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished! Below is the link to my review. It is an amazing little book. Not surprised that it stirred up controversy . . . but sad that it did!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Paula W | 13 comments I would like to thank the group for this choice. I hadn't read this since I was a young thing in the 80s, but I opened it yesterday and devoured it in one sitting. It is such a great coming-of-age story.

Also, as a Stranger Things fan, I was flabbergasted to be reminded that the first person Margaret met in her new town was Nancy. NANCY WHEELER. Those Stranger Things guys did a lot of very obvious 80s nostalgia with Ghostbusters and ET and Alien and D&D, but they went deep with this one and it made me really happy.

Paula W | 13 comments Matthew wrote: "Finished! Below is the link to my review. It is an amazing little book. Not surprised that it stirred up controversy . . . but sad that it did!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

I loved your review, but wanted to comment here so that my comment didn’t get lost (your reviews tend to get sooooo much attention!).

Yes, I agree that the primary theme is Margaret trying to figure out religion. But what a lot of readers don’t get is that Margaret totally DID figure it out, at least for her. She went to multiple different houses of worship and didn’t find God there. She found routine and tradition, but didn’t find God. Margaret finds God in her very personal conversations with him outside of a church or a religious label, and this was a seriously controversial thing to say at the time this book was written.

message 16: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited Feb 19, 2020 07:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paula W wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Finished! Below is the link to my review. It is an amazing little book. Not surprised that it stirred up controversy . . . but sad that it did!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/sho..."

Very awesome observation, Paula! I completely agree. Sad that it was so controversial when it is such an uplifting resolution after the pressure and confusion she went through. We could all learn a lot from Margaret!

I am also so glad the group helped you rediscover a favorite!