Reading List Completists discussion

Animal Farm
This topic is about Animal Farm
19 views
Group Reads > Animal Farm by George Orwell

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Feel free to discuss Animal Farm here!


message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
For those interested - here is the page count. I am using the first count that comes up when you list all the editions:

Animal Farm by George Orwell - 122 pages


Jessica | 117 comments I picked this one up from the library last week. Funny that a book with such a poignant subject matter and scale is only 122 pages.
I find it really interesting to look at the circumstances at time of writing and publishing. The two atomic bombs had just gone off and the cold War started. Perfect conditions for the audience to receive this book, though Orwell had intended it to be published much earlier. Due to the fear of losing Russia as an ally towards the end of WO II many publishers turned the manuscript down. Though its small size was actually quite suitable for the paper shortage at the time...

An interesting podcast to give a listen (perhaps better to listen after reading though this well known story doesn't really hold spoilers) https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=466847...


message 4: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "I picked this one up from the library last week. Funny that a book with such a poignant subject matter and scale is only 122 pages.
I find it really interesting to look at the circumstances at tim..."


Awesome observations! It would have been very interesting to have been there to see the response to the publication of this back then.

Thanks for sharing . . . you are ahead of the game!

I put this on hold on audio and it should be a few weeks before it comes in. The last time I read it was in paperback in high school. So, I figure an audio reread should be perfect (and likely will only take 2 or 3 hours!)


Marlise (mawz76) | 40 comments I read this toward the end of last year to help a high school student with his school assignment. I thought it was pretty interesting to think about it in terms of it's historical significance.


message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
I had a copy on hold . . . 3 week wait . . . I accidentally cancelled the hold last night! I immediately put it on hold again . . . now 8 weeks! :( Since it is a short book, maybe people will read it fast and it will be quicker than that!


Jessica | 117 comments Oh no! I illegally finished it today. Let's pretend it's February already haha but indeed it is a short read so perhaps the waiting line will speed up. Good sign however that is seems to be so popular!


message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Oh no! I illegally finished it today. Let's pretend it's February already haha but indeed it is a short read so perhaps the waiting line will speed up. Good sign however that is seems to be so popu..."

I need to find out who as it and beg them to return it when they finish! I requested it digitally and it is easy to forget about it and let it roll of your account when it expires!


message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol | 59 comments Matthew wrote: "I had a copy on hold . . . 3 week wait . . . I accidentally cancelled the hold last night! I immediately put it on hold again . . . now 8 weeks! :( Since it is a short book, maybe people will read ..."
I hate to burst your bubble, but my guess is that kids are reading it for school and will hold onto it for longer than the allowed check out time.


message 10: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Starts today!


Eileen | 150 comments I just listened to this today. How did it take me this long before finally reading this? I couldn't put it down! Ralph Cosham was perfect as the narrator for this and he also read the introduction that was written by Wodehouse in the original publication, I believe.


message 12: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Eileen wrote: "I just listened to this today. How did it take me this long before finally reading this? I couldn't put it down! Ralph Cosham was perfect as the narrator for this and he also read the introduction ..."

The introduction . . . I found it to be a bit unfortunate. It completely spoils the story! There is one paragraph where he covers every ploy point and then discusses the resolution! It was well done for explaining this book in the time period, but maybe a better afterward instead???


Eileen | 150 comments Matthew wrote: "The introduction . . . I found it to be a bit unfortunate. It completely spoils the story! There is one paragraph where he covers every ploy point and then discusses the resolution! It was well done for explaining this book in the time period, but maybe a better afterward instead???."

LOL, for works like this, I don't actually mind, ha! It gives me "context". Funny thing is that I don't like it with modern books, but for literature, it helps give me context, knowing what was going on at the time.


message 14: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Eileen wrote: "LOL, for works like this, I don't actually mind, ha! It gives me "context". Funny thing is that I don't like it with modern books, but for literature, it helps give me context, knowing what was going on at the time."

Oh, I don't mind getting the context of the time period. It was the one small section that completely summarized the book. Basically, if you didn't feel like reading the book, the introduction gives you everything you need to know - which is too much for me!

Goes back to when I mentioned i don't read summaries of books!


Eileen | 150 comments LOL, very true! I guess it didn't bug me because I already knew the basic premise of the book, lol.


message 16: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Eileen wrote: "LOL, very true! I guess it didn't bug me because I already knew the basic premise of the book, lol."

Yes . . that is true as this is a reread for me . . . but, it was in high school that I last read it, so I have lost the specifics in the past 25 years! :D

So . . . I guess let this serve as a warning to those who have never read it. DON'T READ THE INTRODUCTION!


Eileen | 150 comments Heh heh, WARNING WARNING WARNING!

Heck, you can read the intro afterward, right? :P


message 18: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Eileen wrote: "Heh heh, WARNING WARNING WARNING!

Heck, you can read the intro afterward, right? :P"


Exactly!


Benjamin | 22 comments Animal Farm was my first group reading I participated in and it was an absolute blast. Thanks for motivating me to pick it up!


message 20: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Benjamin wrote: "Animal Farm was my first group reading I participated in and it was an absolute blast. Thanks for motivating me to pick it up!"

Awesome! Glad you joined in and had a good time reading it!


message 21: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Just realized I didn't come back to comment and share my review when I finished. This was a reread for me and even more powerful than when I read it in high school. Still 5 stars!

Click for my review


Benjamin | 22 comments Benjamin wrote: "Animal Farm was my first group reading I participated in and it was an absolute blast. Thanks for motivating me to pick it up!"

I will most certainly join in to the Dracula read in March. Looking really forward to doing it (and it will also be a step forward on the reading list I am working on…)


message 23: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1748 comments Mod
Benjamin wrote: "I will most certainly join in to the Dracula read in March. Looking really forward to doing it (and it will also be a step forward on the reading list I am working on…)"

Ah . . . you are confident that Dracula will come out of the final day of voting victorious!? ;) :D

We shall see! :)


Glenda | 61 comments I chose this one for my February read, I'd forgotten how much I liked this when I was younger, and it's even more scary/funny now rereading it as an aged adult! Yes, the politics are so on point in a way, but the drunken pigs are something I can definitely appreciate more as an adult (as well as the other humor that I didn't "get" when I was 13 or so).
I don't know if I will get to the other 3 books for the month, but there's still time.


Benjamin | 22 comments Matthew wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "I will most certainly join in to the Dracula read in March. Looking really forward to doing it (and it will also be a step forward on the reading list I am working on…)"

Ah . . . ..."


Looks like we got there in the end :-)


back to top