Reading Until Infinity discussion

Archive > February 2020 Book of the Month - Beauty Queens

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 264 comments The voting has ended and the winning book is Beauty Queens by Libba Bray which looks like a really fun read. I'm sure we will have fun reading and discussing the book next month. February will be here soon so try to pick up a copy of the book if you want to participate. I already picked up my copy yesterday and I look forward to reading it.

Please use spoiler tags if you write about a spoiler in the book plot... Different people read at different rates.

Have fun reading! 📚

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 264 comments I will post my first observation on the book, which I have before me. It looks like the girl on the cover is wearing a gun belt...that kind made from a bunch of bullets...but if you look closely it's actually a bunch of lipstick tubes! How about that??

The back cover has a small airplane stuck in some palm trees by a sandy beach. The beach looks nice..

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 3 comments I loved this book!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 264 comments That's great that you loved it!

message 5: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Walker | 4 comments Can't wait to get started! Looks really interesting

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian (oscart) | 3 comments I found the book to be a bit juvenile, but still enjoyed it for the most part. Not what I expected by any stretch of the imagination.

message 7: by Daphne (new)

Daphne Walker | 4 comments Brian wrote: "I found the book to be a bit juvenile, but still enjoyed it for the most part. Not what I expected by any stretch of the imagination."
Really? I have been reading a lot of books with dark heavy subject matter. I haven't started it yet, but cover looks interesting.

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 3 comments It is a bit of a silly book, but very fun!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 264 comments I'm going to start reading my copy soon!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 264 comments Well I started reading Beauty Queens last night and I'll read more of it today. I must say there are plot elements that have surprised me already and I'm only about 25 pages into the book. It has to do with how many of the characters behave and think. I don't know if it will affect my opinion of the book.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 264 comments I'm 70 percent through the book now and I'm hoping I can finish it tonight. So far I'm enjoying it but it took some time to get used to the characters and how they were written. It took me about a hundred pages to get into the story. The characters of most of the girls, well, they are rather...umm... airheads? I did find that a bit annoying.. but I am enjoying it now and my annoyance is totally gone. 😁 The plot is very unpredictable. Which is good.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 264 comments Well I finished the book!! But it's late and I'm nodding off. 😴 I'll write more about it later.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B | 264 comments Well I said I would write more and now I will.

I found some of the girls annoying, how they thought and behaved. They are so girly girl if you know what I mean and they seem to prioritize the wrong things. That just annoyed me a lot. But at around the 100 page mark I started to get into the story more and then I read the rest pretty quickly. It's basically an adventure story with lots of random stuff happening. Very unpredictable. I really didn't care for the very end, that last chapter. I liked the ending with Taylor better. Odd, I know!

I did not understand that thing with the one girl and that food tray at all. Makes no sense to me!

The ads in the book were bizarre.

This is a distopian novel.

I really don't think I wrote any spoilers here. I always try hard not to write any.

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian (oscart) | 3 comments I agree Sarah, strange is probably the best word to describe this novel. I thought it was a fun read, but not very deep and did tend to stereotype the girls.