New Adult Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Q+A's > Monica Murphy Q&A

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat J (last edited Jan 26, 2020 05:37AM) (new)

Kat J (katjphoenix) | 378 comments Mod
Monica Murphy

This week, we have Monica Murphy who is a New York Times, USA Today bestselling author and #1 international bestselling author taking on the hot seat and ready for all your questions.

She is also the author of books such as One Week Girlfriend, Second Chance Boyfriend and many more! Her newest book Close to Me hits the stores on 11 Feb too!

Leave your questions for Monica below now!

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Hey everyone! If you ask questions, you're entered to win a signed paperback of my upcoming new adult book CLOSE TO ME. It features Drew + Fable's oldest daughter, Autumn! This contest is open internationally, so please, ask me a few questions! 💕

message 3: by Antonella (new)

Antonella | 237 comments Hello Monica, first let me wish you a great 2020!!
Okay so here are some Q for you!

1. which book of yours would you recommend for a reader who has never read your work? where to start?
2. which character of your surprised you the most? wheater that was a direction he/she took or is so much opposite of you?

Dumpsterdogbooks  (dumpsterdogbooks) | 23 comments Thanks so much for answering readers questions!
My questions for you are:
1. What inspires you when you are hitting a writers block?
2. What is a go to re-read?

message 5: by Me (new)

Me Does this book have a lot of humor in it?

message 6: by Me (new)

Me Is this a stand alone or part of series?

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann | 74 comments When were you first inspired to write romance?

message 8: by Cat (new)

Cat | 23 comments Who inspires you?
What Authors do you admire ?
Are your characters ever based on real people?

message 9: by Elle P. (new)

Elle P. Golden | 186 comments is there any kind of scene or plot that you get uncomfortable writing about?

message 10: by Salma (new)

Salma (stillstanding) What inspired you to write owgf? And Drew's story?

message 11: by Carolina (new)

Carolina León (cariiitolm) | 94 comments What was the easiest part to write in the story? And how you deilcided it was good for the story to write about?

message 12: by Lena (new)

Lena (mrs_right) | 51 comments Hi! :D I'd like to ask if there's a character in your books that you're especially fond of, and if so - why? :)
Also, how do you spend your free time, when you're not writing? What brings you joy in every day life and gives you energy to start writing again?

message 13: by J. (new)

J. (leaj) | 275 comments If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine S. (katy2ish) | 115 comments What inspired you to write your first book?

message 15: by Suzana (new)

Suzana (bibliophile_suzy) | 36 comments What is your writing Kryptonite?

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Ortiz | 733 comments Hi!
What are you working on next?

message 17: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Antonella wrote: "Hello Monica, first let me wish you a great 2020!!
Okay so here are some Q for you!

1. which book of yours would you recommend for a reader who has never read your work? where to start?

Hmm, I would say either One Week Girlfriend (that's the first book I wrote as Monica - I have another pen name, Karen Erickson), because it's my most popular series. Or I'd recommend Save the Date, which is the first book in my latest series, and I am really loving writing in that world!

2. which character of your surprised you the most? wheater that was a direction he/she took or is so much opposite of you?

The character who surprised me the most is probably Fable from One Week Girlfriend only because she was so strong and so opinionated. I think I wrote her as the woman I wanted to be (meaning her personality, not her circumstances) at that age and absolutely wasn't.

Being real right now: most of my main characters surprise me only because I don't plot much. I outline the story, I have a vision in my head but I don't actually know what's going to happen. If you're surprised when reading my books, then usually I was surprised at that moment when writing it. :)

message 18: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Ann Marie Stratton wrote: "Thanks so much for answering readers questions!

My questions for you are:

1. What inspires you when you are hitting a writers block?

I try not to let writer's block happen only because this is my job and I can't let it get me down. BUT it totally does happen where I feel uninspired so usually I go watch TV or a movie, get outside if the weather is nice, or I read. Reading is a big one. The best feeling is when I read a book that is so amazing, it inspires me to be a better writer. That fuels me.

2. What is a go to re-read?

ON THE ISLAND by Tracey Garvis Graves. Oh my gosh this book is the absolute BEST! You experience all the emotions...

message 19: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Me wrote: "Does this book have a lot of humor in it?"

No, CLOSE TO ME is an angsty new adult but set in high school story so it's not very funny. If you want humor I'd recommend my Dating series (start with SAVE THE DATE) or even my new adult series The Rules (start with FAIR GAME).

message 20: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Me wrote: "Is this a stand alone or part of series?"

CLOSE TO ME is the first in a brand new series but every book will stand alone and be a complete, by itself story. No cliffhangers or anything like that. :)

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Ann wrote: "When were you first inspired to write romance?"

In my late teens I started devouring romance books, specifically historical romances, and I thought to myself, 'Wow, I'd love to write something like this someday.' Then real life got in the way and while I would write the occasional scene here and there, I really didn't do anything about it.

Not until after I had my third child in 2004 did I start getting serious about writing. And now here I am! :)

message 22: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Salma wrote: "What inspired you to write owgf? And Drew's story?"

First, I read a bunch of new adult books that I LOVED. And I realized quick I wanted to write something similar, but what?

Then I watched our local news and it mentioned a case with a teacher who was arrested for having sex with male student. She tried to justify it by saying she thought he was 18 (he was 17). And it got me thinking. Everyone wants to give the boy a high five when he has sex with an adult female, praise him, etc. But when it happens to a girl with an adult male, everyone's horrified.

That's a complete double standard. So I wanted to write a story about a boy who's unwillingly been in a relationship with someone and show how it affected him in a negative way. That's how Drew was born.

Fable I saved as a character for years. I tried to write a YA book about a girl named Fable Maguire in 2009 and it was terrible. But I always adored that name and the characters so...turned out she was the perfect match for Drew.

message 23: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Carolina wrote: "What was the easiest part to write in the story? And how you decided it was good for the story to write about?"

Hmm, if you're asking about CLOSE TO ME, I started toying with the idea to write about Autumn Callahan (Drew and Fable from One Week Girlfriend's daughter) a few years ago, right around the time my friend Katy Evans wrote a book about Remy and Brooke's son (from her book REAL). She inspired me. But then I got busy with other stuff...

And finally decided last year I needed to just bite the bullet and do it. This book was so easy and so fun for me to write. That's when I knew I had to continue and write books for the first three Callahan siblings as well.

message 24: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Cat wrote: "Who inspires you?
What Authors do you admire ?
Are your characters ever based on real people?"

I'm inspired by other authors all the time, too many to name. I'm inspired by my author friends who work hard and don't give up. I admire their business sense and their storytelling.

My children inspire me - they're teenagers and they are so open with me. They tell me all sorts of crazy stories and I always think, 'that would make a good book.' Plus, I'm a coach for my daughter's high school cheer team so I hear all the drama from 10 other girls beside my daughter. That is major inspiration!

Yes, my characters can be based on other people, but most of the time no. My fellow cheer coach is a character in CLOSE TO ME. She loves that! And truthfully? There's a little bit of me in a lot of my characters. I think that happens more often than we think...

message 25: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments MiDouradoP wrote: "is there any kind of scene or plot that you get uncomfortable writing about?"

If it's something unfamiliar to me I get uncomfortable only because I don't know enough about that situation. I like to do plenty of research and figure out where I need to go with it.

Sex scenes don't make me uncomfortable. Most things don't make me uncomfortable. Emotional, heart felt scenes might make me worry only because I want to make sure I get the feelings across.

message 26: by Monica (last edited Jan 28, 2020 09:41AM) (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Lena wrote: "Hi! :D I'd like to ask if there's a character in your books that you're especially fond of, and if so - why? :)
Also, how do you spend your free time, when you're not writing? What brings you joy i..."

I am always extra fond of the characters I'm currently writing or have just finished writing. So at one point or another, I love them ALL. ;)

Ones I still love after time has gone by? Drew and Fable from One Week Girlfriend. Amanda and Tuttle from the Friends series (oh Tuttle is a true favorite). I really adored Candice and Charlie from my last book Holidate. And of course, I loved writing Ash and Autumn's story in Close to Me.

Regarding free time - what's that? Ha ha. When I'm not writing/working, I'm a coach for my daughter's high school cheer team. Cheer is a two season sport so it takes up a tremendous amount of my time, but it's pretty rewarding. In my free time I like to travel, spend time with my family, read and this last year, I took a major interest in our new rose bushes so I guess I can add gardening to the list. ;)

message 27: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments J. wrote: "If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?"

I would be Candice from my book HOLIDATE because she is the sweetest thing who volunteers for various charities and tries to help people. She has a really good, pure heart, and she finds joy in everything. Also, she lives in my favorite place, Carmel-by-the-Sea.

message 28: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Katherine wrote: "What inspired you to write your first book?"

I read so many romance books in my teens and twenties and I knew I wanted to be a writer. I finally got serious in my thirties. What inspired that first book that's never been published and is completely terrible? I can't even remember, it was too long ago now. But I do know who inspired me: great authors like Jude Deveraux, Judith McNaught, Julie Garwood, Lavyrle Spencer.

message 29: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Suzana wrote: "What is your writing Kryptonite?"

I procrastinate, which makes me have to binge write in a shorter amount of time than I originally allowed myself. This is a bad trait. I'm trying to work on this for 2020. One of my goals is to pace myself better.

Also, when I'm actually writing my timeline can get messed up. I always ask my editors to check my timeline of the story!

message 30: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Nicole wrote: "Hi!
What are you working on next?"

Hi! Okay, I'm currently writing HATE TO DATE YOU, which is the next book in my Dating series and it's such a fun, humorous, sexy book about a woman who had a one night fling with her best friend's brother. But of course, it's going to turn into something more! It's out April 7th.

message 31: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Dehart | 133 comments What was the first book you read that inspired you to write?

message 32: by Ann_ (last edited Jan 29, 2020 12:24PM) (new)

Ann_ | 73 comments What is your favourite book of yours?

message 33: by Ann_ (new)

Ann_ | 73 comments How long do you write a book?

message 34: by Ann_ (new)

Ann_ | 73 comments When do you write day or night?

message 35: by Ann_ (new)

Ann_ | 73 comments What is your favourite book?

message 36: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Katrina wrote: "What was the first book you read that inspired you to write?"

Oh, that's a tough one! And so long ago my memory is fuzzy! LOL I do know that Paradise by Judith McNaught really grabbed hold of me. And anything by Jude Deveraux. I met her a few years ago and could barely speak. She inspired me so much when I was young!

message 37: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Ann_ wrote: "What is your favourite book of yours?"

That is like asking me which child of my three are my favorite! LOL I can honestly say it's usually the book I'm currently working on that's my favorite. Though if I really have to choose, I'll pick One Week Girlfriend, the first book I self-published.

message 38: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Ann_ wrote: "How long do you write a book?"

When do you write day or night?

What is your favourite book?

I'm answering your remaining questions all at once! :)

If you're asking how long it takes me to write a book, that answer is right around a month. I tend to take a month no matter how long of a deadline I'm given. I prefer to throw myself into the story, the characters, etc. and I do better when I binge write it (write it all at once, fast and furious in a short amount of time).

I prefer writing at night. That's how I started, when my children were babies and I'd write after I put them to bed. I can write any time of the day, but night is my preference.

My favorite book? Like by someone else? Can't really choose. I have way too many favorites... :)

message 39: by Caroline (new)

Caroline F | 57 comments Monica wrote: "Katrina wrote: "What was the first book you read that inspired you to write?"

Oh, that's a tough one! And so long ago my memory is fuzzy! LOL I do know that Paradise by Judith McNaught really grab..."

Judith and Jude! You couldn't read one author without reading the other. Loved JM's contemporaries and adored her historical romances, too! <3

message 40: by Caroline (new)

Caroline F | 57 comments Have you ever wanted to write a novel in a different genre?

message 41: by Irma (new)

Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer* | 325 comments Which character of yours was the most fun to write about?

message 42: by Ann_ (new)

Ann_ | 73 comments What is your favourite genre to read?

message 43: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Caroline wrote: "Have you ever wanted to write a novel in a different genre?"

Yes! Absolutely! I have a few women's fiction ideas, thriller ideas...too many ideas! It's just hard to make the time to write them all ;)

message 44: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Irma wrote: "Which character of yours was the most fun to write about?"

This changes through the years but my most recent fave was Candice from my book HOLIDATE, because she was so sweet and fun. She just had a good heart and the hero in the story, Charlie, was a total grump and I adored having the two of them interact.

message 45: by Monica (new)

Monica Murphy (monicamurphyauthor) | 136 comments Ann_ wrote: "What is your favourite genre to read?"

Romance tops the list of course ;) But I also love reading young adult, thrillers, some women's fiction...I go through stages. I'm on a total romance kick right now.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.