On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Ellen Foster
This topic is about Ellen Foster
Group Reads: Post-1980 > Initial Impressions: Ellen Foster, by Kaye Gibbons– February 2020

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2552 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 1997 comments Mod
I love this book. I won’t be reading again but highly recommend this short book.

message 3: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Barnes | 3964 comments Mod
I won't be reading this again either, but I've read it twice now and echo Laura that it's a great book. Very short, but Ellen is a character that you will remember.

Cathrine ☯️  | 604 comments Been on my list for quite a while and I'm getting to it this time.
Hoopla availability an added plus.

Connie G (connie_g) | 428 comments This is a short, memorable book that I would also recommend highly. I'm too overloaded with books to read it again.

message 6: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 1997 comments Mod
On second thought, an audio on Hoopla, a review of my review, and 5 years have passed. I might be able to sneak a reread in audio form in for February. I really did love this book!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 388 comments This was the first one by Kay Gibbons that I read, and I've since read everything she's written ... and loved them all.

Tracey (traceyrb) | 31 comments I also read this many years ago and then went on to read others by the author. I will be reading this. Has anyone read the recently published sequel to this book?

Lori Keeton | 367 comments Just finished this one. Ellen is quite a survivor! Her voice is quite simplistic and she even made me laugh at times!

message 10: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 1078 comments Mod
Just finished as well. About half-way through I realized I had seen the movie version of this book. It was quite well done. My first Gibbons, although I have several of her books on my TBR.

message 11: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John (jwarner6comcastnet) | 144 comments I just discovered that You Tube has the movie in its entirety.

message 12: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

I had no idea there was a film version. I'll have to check it out.

message 13: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Do, Diane. It has been years and years since I saw it, but I remember it as very moving. Jena Malone did a remarkable job of portraying Ellen.

message 14: by Libby (new)

Libby | 127 comments I've just started this one and already love this spirited little girl. Oh, the thoughts that are flying around in her little head.

message 15: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Movie not available on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu, and not at my library either. I'll go the You Tube route.

message 16: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Libby wrote: "I've just started this one and already love this spirited little girl. Oh, the thoughts that are flying around in her little head."

Yes, you love her right away, don't you.

Cathrine ☯️  | 604 comments I too could not find the movie anywhere so thanks for the YouTube heads up.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 388 comments Tracey the Bookworm wrote: " Has anyone read the recently published sequel to this book?"

Yes I did read the sequel (and have a signed first edition of it).
The Life All Around Me By Ellen Foster was published in 2005.
You can read My review HERE

message 19: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks, Tracey. I can see how the sequel would be hard to live up to the original.

message 20: by Libby (new)

Libby | 127 comments Sara wrote: "Libby wrote: "I've just started this one and already love this spirited little girl. Oh, the thoughts that are flying around in her little head."

Yes, you love her right away, don't you."

Yes, I do, Sara. The tone has turned somber, but I just love the way her thoughts spout out, a little torrent of justifiable anger.

Kathryn in FL (kathryninapopka) | 58 comments Cathrine ☯️ wrote: "I too could not find the movie anywhere so thanks for the YouTube heads up."

Cathrine -
I can't grab the link from my browser but look up -"Beverly Tierney" on you tube in the search and "Ellen Foster" pops up. She has only 16 movies posted so you should be able to locate it.
I was a little confused but realize everything in the movie is reversed so you will see people driving like the Brits and seated in the left side of their vehicle.

message 22: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thank you so much, Kathryn. I had not been able to find it before, but that was a winner.

Kathryn in FL (kathryninapopka) | 58 comments Glad you enjoyed it Sara. I'm happy you were able to view it.

Cathrine ☯️  | 604 comments Thanks Kathryn, at first I was like how come all the writing looks like it belongs on an ambulance.

Kathryn in FL (kathryninapopka) | 58 comments Cathrine,
LOL, good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!

It was a while for me. At first, I thought, they don't sound British when her grandmother brought her and mother home from the hospital and everyone disembarked from the car. Then, I noticed the house number was weird and the light bulb went on!

message 26: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 5 stars

It was just as good as I had remembered and a joy to watch it again.