Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho"
This topic is about Deviant
Archive - Group Reads > Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho" by Harold Schechter - February 2020

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Jan 25, 2020 09:47PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello fellow Crime, Mystery & Thriller readers! This discussion is about (Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho" by Harold Schechter, your discussion leader is (Sheri).

Please note: If you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Deviant The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho" by Harold Schechter Deviant True Story of Ed Gein, the Original Psycho by Harold Schechter Deviant The Shocking and True Story of the Original Psycho by Harold Schector Deviant The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho" by Harold Schechter

Summary

Murder Was the Least of His Crimes…

The truth behind the twisted crimes that inspired the films Psycho, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, and The Silence of the Lambs…

From Harold Schechter, “America's principal chronicler of its greatest psychopathic killers” (The Boston Book Review), comes the definitive account of Ed Gein, whose ghoulish crimes stunned an unsuspecting nation.

The year is 1957. Photographs would show him across the country: a slight, Midwestern man with a twisted little smile, a man who had lived for ten years in his own world of murder and depravity.

Here is the grisly true story of Ed Gein, the killer whose fiendish fantasies inspired Alfred Hitchcock's “Psycho”—the mild-mannered farmhand bound to his domineering mother, driven into a series of gruesome and bizarre acts beyond all imagining. In chilling detail, Deviant explores the incredible career of one of the most twisted madmen in the annals of American crime—and how he turned a small Wisconsin farmhouse into his own private playground of ghoulishness and blood.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1480 comments Mod
Hello everyone. I hope you'll join me in reading and this discussing this hair raising, gruesome story of horror in a small town.

message 3: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Feb 02, 2020 07:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

A picture of the Gein house taken during the police investigation.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

“I had a compulsion to do it.” — Ed Gein.

Is anyone else reading or going to read this book? It's horrific. Here's a list of movies made with Mr. Gein in mind.

“Three On A Meathook” (1973)
“Deranged”, a 1974
“Maniac” (1980)
“Don’t Go In The House” – 1980
Geinophile – 1988
“Nekromantik 2” (1991)
“Silence of the Lambs” – 1991

message 6: by Elena (new)

Elena | 1 comments I am going to read it!!!

message 7: by Moonlight (new)

Moonlight | 12 comments I had a friend who use to vacation in the general area when Ed Gein committed his crimes. She said that the people around there would go completely silent whenever the topic was brought up.

Recently I was visiting Wisconsin on a business trip. One of the employees of my client had a button pinned to her wall: Wisconsin: Home to Ed Gein, Jeffery Dahmer and Scott Walker. I was kind of glad I was alone when I saw that button. It took me a minute or two to regain my professional detachment.

message 8: by Supriya (new) - added it

Supriya (beefygoon) I will be reading this for February.

Moonlight wrote: "

Recent..."

Oh my.

I've lived in a small rural town all my adult life and I can certainly imagine people ignoring signs of mental illness just thinking "that's just the way he is."

A very disturbing read that gets worse as it goes along. And to think that's it's true.

Spoilers in my review. I would have given 3-1/2 stars but instead of downgrading to 3 I went up to 4.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

It's frightening to know that some people who commit such terrible atrocities on other people don't even realize what they've done is soooooo very wrong.