Play Book Tag discussion

Nightwoods
This topic is about Nightwoods
January 2020: Thriller > (Poll Ballot) Nightwoods - Charles Frazier -4

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknblues (last edited Jan 25, 2020 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Booknblues | 6208 comments Because Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain is one of my all time favorite books, his thriller, Nightwoods was a happy find for me. I briefly wondered how his prose would translate to the genre and if it would work. I should not have been a doubter.

In Nightwoods we meet Luce a recluse who caretakes a property that is reminiscent of a more rustic Stanley Hotel by a lake in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Luce "held firm to the belief that quiet and solitude were good for you, offering peace, or at least hope for peace. However, Luce's quiet and solitude is disrupted when she is named guardian for her murdered sister, Lily's damaged children:

Also, the children were here, and what was Luce to do? You try your best to love the world despite obvious flaws in design and execution. And you take care of whatever needy things present themselves to you during your passage through it. Otherwise you’re worthless.

But this is a thriller so it is not solely about Luce's attempt to connect with these two mute pyromaniacs. There is more to the story.

Joy D | 3889 comments Just checked and I have this on my TBR.

Booknblues | 6208 comments Joy D wrote: "Just checked and I have this on my TBR."
I hope you like it.