Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2020 Challenges & Buddy Reads > February 2020 ~ Themes Challenge ~ Renee's Choice

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Grey (last edited Mar 01, 2020 05:33AM) (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Welcome back! Getting ready to take February by storm! Ready to kick butt and take names...or lay around and read books about people kicking butt and taking names!🤷

For February, we have a treat. Renee has chosen a fun one for us.

February ~ Renee's choice One Giant Leap ~ In Honor of Leap Year, Read an Age-Gap Romance

This will be the discussion thread for all the age gap romances we read in February. You can read one...you can read more than one, we can have buddy reads...we can do whatever we want!

What we do need is for you to sign up, and let us know you intend to participate before the 5th of February and then, (this is the important part), come back and let us how you rated it or what you thought of it before 1159 p.m. of the last day of the month. That's it. Pretty simple, really.

(The last time we did this, we all used our massive TBR piles and made it a rule that this was a TBR challenge...I'm forgoing that rule this time, because-fun! I want this to be fun and not a slog to get through, you know? However, you certainly can stick to that rule, if you want to.)

Each month that you participate and finish on/before the last day of the month, you will get your name added to a list that will be eligible to be randomly selected from at the beginning of 2021 for a $10 Amazon gift card.

Lisa A ~ Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas 3.5 stars
Michele ~ Torn (All Torn Up, #1) by Carian Cole 3.5 stars
Judy ~ The Younger Man by Karina Halle 3 stars
Leslie ~ All Grown Up by Vi Keeland 3 stars
Cátia ~ Under Locke by Mariana Zapata 3 stars and A Different Blue by Amy Harmon 4 stars
Marta ~ Burnout by Coralee June 2 stars
Robin ~ Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center 5 stars
T. ~ All Grown Up by Vi Keeland 4 stars
Denise ~ The Forbidden Man by Karina Halle
Diann ~ Medicine Man by Saffron A. Kent 4 stars
Lisa S. ~ Wrong (Wrong, #1) by Jana Aston ~ 3 stars
Grey ~ Medicine Man by Saffron A. Kent 3 stars
Sarah ~ Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy C. Cherry 4 stars
Jean ~ Torn (All Torn Up, #1) by Carian Cole 5 stars
Jen ~ Torn (All Torn Up, #1) by Carian Cole 4.5 stars
Renee ~ Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center 5 stars
Nicole ~ Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas 3.5 stars
Melinda ~ A Different Blue by Amy Harmon 5 stars

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments I want in...love me some age gap!!!

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments I’m in too!! Excited for this one!

message 4: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments sounds good! I'm in...I know of one I want to read...Karina Halle, older woman, younger guy, I can't think of the title :)

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Judy.Ca wrote: "sounds good! I'm in...I know of one I want to read...Karina Halle, older woman, younger guy, I can't think of the title :)"

I feel like Karina Halle has a few diff ones with age gaps but I think most recent one is: The Younger Man by Karina Halle

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I am in, but have no idea what to read. I might need some help.

message 7: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Leslie wrote: "Judy.Ca wrote: "sounds good! I'm in...I know of one I want to read...Karina Halle, older woman, younger guy, I can't think of the title :)"

I feel like Karina Halle has a few diff ones with age ga..."

Thanks Leslie! Thats it 😁

message 8: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 197 comments I´m in...want to see which one you will choose...I was thinking in Under Locke by Mariana Zapata , do you think it has an age gap?

message 9: by Catia (new)

Catia (kookay) | 197 comments The Younger Man by Karina Halle also looks good!!

message 10: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments I'm in :)

I am thinking about this one The Idea of You by Robinne Lee or this one Act Your Age by Eve Dangerfield ... i really don't know it yet!

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1525 comments I'm in. I was already about to start my Gabriel's Rapture re-read but I'm considering Monster in His Eyes too. Or maybe Thrown Off the Ice. Hmm...

message 12: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 336 comments I’m in. I’m looking forward to reading Karina Halle’s, but I’ll consider some others on my tbr before nailing one down.

message 13: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm in! Need to do some research on what to read.

Marta, The Idea of You - - - I frigging LOVED that book!! It actually still haunts me - - but there appears to be a love/hate thing for that book from the girls around here so consider yourself warned! LOL!

message 14: by Lisa (last edited Jan 27, 2020 09:08AM) (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments Ooooo....I've decided on my book. Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Lisa wrote: "Ooooo....I've decided on my book. Birthday Girl by Penelope Douglas"

That's a good one!!

message 16: by diann bryan (new)

diann bryan | 178 comments https://www.amazon.com/Medicine-Man-S...
This sounds like an age gap romance
This is my February pick

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments diann bryan wrote: "https://www.amazon.com/Medicine-Man-S...
This sounds like an age gap romance
This is my February pick"

Well that sounds amazing, and it's on my TBR....hmmmmmmm

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I'm still stumped. I looked at lists here and Maryse's and I dont know what to pick. I've already read all the popular ones. Decisions, decisions. It's hard because I want an audio.

message 19: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments unless something else pops up I'm reading The Forbidden Man by Karina Halle

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Speidel | 27 comments I'm in... I have 3 of the ones mentioned here & now I can't decide... Medicine Man, Birthday Girl & I had originally decided on The Younger Man but now I just can't decide. 😐 🤔

message 21: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1025 comments I’m in, got to find a book

message 22: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments Jean wrote: "I'm in! Need to do some research on what to read.

Marta, The Idea of You - - - I frigging LOVED that book!! It actually still haunts me - - but there appears to be a love/hate thing for that book ..."

Humm ok, probably i will pick it! :)

message 23: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments Just a question:

I already start this one Untouchable by Isabel Love (40% in) and it's a 7years age gap.
I am kind bored with the book and i still have it on hold since last week. So if i finish it in february, can still count?

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2458 comments Marta wrote: "Just a question:

I already start this one Untouchable by Isabel Love (40% in) and it's a 7years age gap.
I am kind bored with the book and i still have it on hold since last week. So if i f..."

That is the best part of these challenges...you can do whatever you like and make your own rules and we'll all just nod and say "it's all good!!!"

message 25: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

I am kind bored with the book and i still have it on hold since last w..."

I love that answer Lisa <3

message 26: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

Yep...what Lisa said!! :-)

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Marta wrote: "Just a question:

I am kind bored with the book and i still have it on hold since last week. So if i f..."

I agree too! If you finish in February its considered "read in February " right? 😉

I will try this one, so thanks for the suggestion. I am bummed that you say you are a little bored though. Whatever! Its on hoopla so if I end up dnf-ing then no money wasted.

Yay! I have a book now.

message 28: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I found this list... I am going to go with Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, I think ... or Medicine Man...but I think it's going to be Throne of Glass... I'm in a PNR mood.

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Grey wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I found this list... I am going to go with Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, I think ... or Medicine Man...but I think it's going ..."

Great list Grey!!

message 30: by Marta (last edited Jan 28, 2020 01:19PM) (new)

Marta | 134 comments Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

Thanks for your reply and as well everyone else, i appreciated ;)

@Leslie, i am not really happy about the inicial direction of the book...for a forbidden book it kind of lack the tension to not go bite the forbidden aspect immediately, so that it is really not my jam!

@Grey if you want PNR go to War of Hearts by S. Young , so so good this one!! I can't remember exactly but i think they have 11 or so age gap!

message 31: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Marta wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

I am kind bored with the book and i still have it on hold..."

Oh Marta!! I really loved that one too! Felt like "old school" paranormal to me!

message 32: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments I have my own age gap bookshelves so if you want to check out, feel free: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I considered age gap starting with 5years.

message 33: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Oh Marta, War of Hearts looks really good and I think I need to change up my genre!

message 34: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Grey wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I found this list... I am going to go with Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, I think ... or Medicine Man...but I think it's going ..."

Ha! I knew there'd be a list!!!! thanks :)

message 35: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
ooh, Marta, I like the look of that War of Hearts book, but...I'm still on the book buying ban and it's not in KU, so I can't. ☹️ I already have the Throne of Glass series...I know, I'm so weird. I've had it forever and just haven't read it.

message 36: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Judy.Ca wrote: "Grey wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

I found this list... I am going to go with Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, I think ... or Medicine Man...but I thin..."

wow I've read quite a few! just a few notable ones that I've read...if you don't mind :)
Loving Mr. Daniels
Slammed
American Queen
A Different Blue
Kulti
Naked

message 37: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Marta, your list is awesome!! Thanks for sharing as you gave me lots of ideas. 😁👍

message 38: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments Michele wrote: "Marta wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

I am kind bored with the book and i still h..."

I don't read a lot of PNR, but it really was a nice suprise!And i am so excited for the 2' one!!
Can you give me some good "old school" recommendations?

@Grey, i know what you mean but if you can have the opportunity to buy or borrow, do it! You too Jean ;)
(i have a love/hate with Throne of Glass...just read 3books)

@Leslie, thank you!i love making lists ;)
And Judy i didn't know that "american queen" and "a different blue" were age gap, thanks!

message 39: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments Marta wrote: "Michele wrote: "Marta wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

I am kind bored with the bo..."

Try the Amelia Hutchins Fae Chronicles & her Playing with Monsters series, A Violet Fire by Kelsey Quick (new one I read an ARC for and really liked), It's You duet which is Katy Regenery writing as K.P. Kelley, Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward, Dannika Dark's Seven Series, Hettie Ivers (Werelock Evolution series) and don't laugh but I loved all the Twilight books. Some other gals on here can probably add more...I'm sure I can too but this gives you some ideas.

message 40: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 336 comments For those of you who enjoy women’s fiction with romance and Katherine Center stories, Happiness for Beginners Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center is an age-gap, older woman romance. This was a favorite read of mine from last year.

message 41: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Marta wrote: "Michele wrote: "Marta wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

um...I really can't remember either tbh, the list was age gap/forbidden love so maybe they fit under forbidden? A Different Blue is student/teacher so I'm assuming there is age gap but also forbidden...American Queen is for sure forbidden love and some friends tagged it age gap but I don't remember specifically their ages...

message 42: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Michele wrote: "Marta wrote: "Michele wrote: "Marta wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

I am kind bor..."

Michele, I read those Twilight books many times :)

message 43: by Marta (new)

Marta | 134 comments Well some may considered a blasphemy, but Twilight or Harry Potter had too much hype at that specific time, that i simply couldn't pick it up and still can't!!LOL
But i appreciate the others recommendations ;)

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (storpey) | 35 comments I’m in. Not sure whether to read Loving Mr. Daniels or Throne of Glass. I’ve read both authors before, and both are already on my TBR... life is hard.

message 45: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Grey wrote: "ooh, Marta, I like the look of that War of Hearts book, but...I'm still on the book buying ban and it's not in KU, so I can't. ☹️ I already have the Throne of Glass series...I know, I'm so weird. I..."

I've had the Throne of Glass series too for a long time and haven't read it....I was thinking it would be between that or the one Marta mentioned, War of Hearts, because the reviews actually looked better than for Throne of Glass......decisions, decisions...

message 46: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Sarah wrote: "I’m in. Not sure whether to read Loving Mr. Daniels or Throne of Glass. I’ve read both authors before, and both are already on my TBR... life is hard."

I pick Loving Mr. Daniels for you!! Haha....oh this isn't the pick for me challenge! LOL!

message 47: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Marta wrote: "Michele wrote: "Marta wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Marta wrote: "Just a question:

A Different Blue.......soooo good!!!

message 48: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1707 comments Jean wrote: "Grey wrote: "ooh, Marta, I like the look of that War of Hearts book, but...I'm still on the book buying ban and it's not in KU, so I can't. ☹️ I already have the Throne of Glass series...I know, I'..."

I haven't read SJM at all and I know her series' are loved by so many...bonus, I just found them all at my library (online)!

message 49: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
oh man, Judy...if you haven't read ACOTAR I recommend that to the hilt. only because the second book in that series is on my top ten books of all time list. Yep, for serious. LOL.♥️

message 50: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2128 comments I have to second Grey’s love for ACOTAR!!

« previous 1 3 4