Play Book Tag discussion

Porgy
This topic is about Porgy
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Tally] Porgy by DuBose Heyward - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theresa | 6674 comments This beautiful perfectly crafted short novel about life on Catfish Row in Charleston in the first quarter of the 20th Century illuminates the tragedy/comedy mask of the Greeks. It is utterly timeless as well.

It centers on Porgy, a crippled beggar, who lives in one of the rooms at ground level. Porgy is alone yet part of a community. He has a gift for gambling which eventually has him crossing paths with the brutal murderous Crown and his addiction prone woman, Bess. Over the course of one summer, these 3 and the other residents of Catfish Row see tragedy and comedy play out to a conclusion as inevitable as anything written by Euripedes or Shakespeare.

The writing sings, it is poetry as prose, it is absolutely remorseless and terrifying when needed. I think the description of the hurricane alone will haunt me. It is no wonder it inspired the Gershwins to create a great American opera. How brilliant of them also to have the author of the original work participate in writing the libretto, a rare event in opera, or theater or film for that matter.

Thank you JoyD for bringing this gem to my attention!

Joy D | 3433 comments So glad you enjoyed it too, Theresa!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7482 comments Brings back memories of seeing Porgie and Bess at the Fisher Theater years ago..timeless