Boris Akunin
This topic is about Boris Akunin
Featured Authors > Featured Author February 2020 - Boris Akunin

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
Boris Akunin is our featured author February 2020

Feel free to make book suggestions in this thread.

Come and tell us which book you picked and once you've read it let us know what you thought of it (is it a new to you author, would you read his work again, etc.)

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 60 comments Ohh, I'm very excited about this. Erast Fandorin is my book-crush. I had planned to read The Diamond Chariot later this year, but I think I will move it up on the TBR list to try & complete it in February. It's a very long book, and my copy has very small print.

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 546 comments I have started reading Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog. So for it is to okay. I have always had trouble with his writing style. Time period and bulldogs are fun.

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice | 546 comments Well I gave up on the book. I read part one (half the book) Part two made no sense to me. I think if I knew more about that time period in Russia it would have helped me.

message 5: by RachelG. (new)

RachelG. | 298 comments I also gave up on Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog.I was excited to see a story with bulldogs in it but found the writing hard to follow.

message 6: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 4 comments I found several Akunin books in a used bookstore, and they've been on my TBR shelf for several years now. When I saw that Akunin was this month's featured author, I decided to read them:

• Erast Fandorin #1: The Winter Queen
• Erast Fandorin #2: The Turkish Gambit
• Erast Fandorin #3: Murder on the Leviathan
• Erast Fandorin #4: The Death Of Achilles
• Sister Pelagia #1: Sister Pelagia and the White Bulldog
• Sister Pelagia #2: Sister Pelagia and the Black Monk

From the book descriptions, I had expected to love Akunin's writing. Well, I didn't. The Fandorin books, although marketed as a mystery series, were more like spy/espionage historical military thrillers (not my cup of tea). The one exception was Leviathan, which was much more mystery-esque (think Christie's Murder on the Orient Express-- on a boat). I did rather enjoy that one. I liked the Sister Pelagia books a bit better, but I just couldn't develop a connection to any of the characters. My main issue with Akunin's books was all the plot twists-- after a while I felt as if I was trapped in the literary equivalent of a late-night infomercial-- ("But wait! There's more!!"). I am glad that I did finally read the books-- I didn't hate them-- I can understand how they would appeal to some people, and I have cleared six spaces on an overcrowded bookshelf.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1089 comments Ah, that great feeling of clearing out stuff.

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 60 comments Suki wrote: "I found several Akunin books in a used bookstore, and they've been on my TBR shelf for several years now. When I saw that Akunin was this month's featured author, I decided to read them:

• Erast F..."

The thing about the Erast Fandorin books is that Akunin was attempting to try a different style/genre of mystery with each book. The only thing that continues from book to book is the character of Erast Fandorin. I think it's a very interesting way to write a series, but I can see how it might be a challenge for readers more used to a traditionally written series.