You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > Feb 2020 - I Scream for Ice Cream

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47843 comments You scream, I scream, we all scream, for ICE CREAM!

I didn't realize until well into my adult years how much my mother loved ice cream. I think it was when I took her to see Karen Kane's Farewell performance in Edmonton along with my friend. That night, my mother had already gone to bed, and my friend and I were chatting in the living room. Mom came out of the bedroom and announced, "Come on girls, let's go for ice cream!"

Who eats ice cream all year round besides me? This February, we're going all out, no matter where you live or what the weather is.

I found a site with all sorts of ice cream types. I entered them all into a randomizer and pulled out ten flavours:

Crab
Hokey Pokey
Tutti Fruiti
Bubble Gum
Chocolate Chip
Neopolitan
Coffee
Squid Ink
French Vanilla
Blue Moon

Your task is to enter those ten flavours into a randomizer. Randomizer here. Click "Randomize it", and the one at the top of the list becomes your ice cream flavour for the February Challenge.

Once you have received your flavour, chose a book based on that flavour in a reasonable connection. It could be in the title; it could be set in the country where the ice cream originated; it could be an item on the cover. Your imagination is your guide. Use Wikipedia's list which explains many of the flavours.

Eg. Blue Moon:
- cover could be blue, or have a moon on it. Or, one of those words could be in the title.
- Probably originated in Milwakee, Wisconsin. The book could be set in Wisconsin.

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Challenge.
4. The book must be read between February 1 – February 29, 2020 (based on your local time zone).
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose.
6. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. In the case of ebooks & audiobooks, use the hardcover or paperback edition to determine page length. From the book page, select “all editions”, then select the first paper edition as your guide. If reading an ebook and there is no paper edition, ask for a ruling. If reading an audiobook and there is no paper edition, your book must be a minimum of 6 hours long.

Scoring (based on the edition you read)

Cover

5 pts - Has ice cream on it.
4 pts - Has a housecat on it, because we all know they love cream.
3 pts - Has ice on it.
2 pts - Is a beach scene.
1 pts - The title is across the bottom.

Title

5 pts - Begins with the letter "F" for February.
4 pts - Begins with an "I" or "C" for Ice Cream.
3 pts - Is two words long including articles (a, an, the, etc.)
2 pts - Has the name of a country in it.
1 pts - Two words in the title start with the same letter. Excludes articles.

Genre (must show on the main book page)

5 pts - Fantasy
4 pts - Memoir
3 pts - Science Fiction
2 pts - Young Adult
1 pt - Contemporary

Pages:
5 pts - 500 +
4 pts - 400 - 499
3 pts - 300 - 399
2 pts - 200 - 299
1 pts - 175-199

Bonus points - 2 pts each

- The book is a romance - Valentine's Day
- The numbers 29 are embedded in the book's page length - Leap Year
- Someone bakes something in the story - Bake for Family Fun Month
- You borrow your book from the library - Library Lover's Month
- Breakfast is served in the story - National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day.

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I got neopolitan. So some links could be Italy, Naples, tricolor, flag, chocolate/vanilla/strawberry, brown/white/pink, green/white/pink, pistachio/vanilla/cherry. I'll do some gophering soon.

message 3: by Jayme (last edited Jan 25, 2020 09:16AM) (new)

Jayme | 2341 comments I am not an ice cream person, but I must have felt your ice cream challenge vibe Janice because last night I tried cardamom ice cream on my apple cobbler. It was very good! Randomized and got:

Neapolitan - "composed of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream together side by side. Origins in the cuisine of the Italian city of Naples, and the many Neapolitan immigrants who brought their expertise in frozen desserts with them to the United States."
So Italy, Naples, Italian immigrants, tricolor, brown,pink,white

Off to gopher!

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Snap Jayme!

I've decided to read The Godfather as Puzo is from a Neopolitan family and many of the characters in the book are Italian immigrants. I've been wanting to read it for ages.

message 5: by Jayme (last edited Jan 25, 2020 09:20AM) (new)

Jayme | 2341 comments That would be a great read, Sarah! I'm going to keep it on stand-by.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47843 comments That's funny that the first two who posted got the same flavour!

I got squid ink! OMG! I had to google it to find information on it. The ice cream is black, and originated in Japan. That gives me some options.

message 7: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 1020 comments Oh weird I got Squid Ink--- The squid ink has a slightly fishy taste and gives the ice cream and shocking black color—this is one for the adventurous eater!

I am going to read The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern It has Sea in the title and it has a black cover

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47843 comments That's hilarious, Tasha! First two got Neapolitan and the next two get squid ink. I like your connection for the book. I haven't checked out my options yet.

message 9: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14783 comments Sarah wrote: "Snap Jayme!

I've decided to read The Godfather as Puzo is from a Neopolitan family and many of the characters in the book are Italian immigrants. I've been wanting to read it for ages."

Do I dare share here that I watched the movie yesterday for the first time in my life?

I would be happy to get both flavours mentioned so far. Lots of options!

Off to see what I get.. :)

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14783 comments French Vanilla it is!

So France and yellow come to mind immediately, but I'll look into it for more options.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13166 comments Coffee for me! Hmm...gophering.

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14783 comments Ah, French vanilla is different from regular vanilla because it has egg yolks added to it.

I could also use countries where vanilla is grown, such as Tahiti, Mexico or Madagascar. Or orchids on cover, as we all know now thanks to the trivia challenge that vanilla comes from orchids.

message 13: by Lanelle (last edited Jan 28, 2020 03:25PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments How fun, Janice!

The randomizer put the Hokey Pokey at the top of the list. Hmmm, a book about dancing? I'm off to look at Wikipedia has to say about the flavor.

Edited to add: According to Wikipedia, Hokey Pokey ice cream is made with bits of honeycomb toffee in it. I'm going to read Wild Honey.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9275 comments I love ice cream! I have to wait until I am in my computer to get a flavor.

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2341 comments I think I am going to go with Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch Italy and Italian ice cream!!

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14783 comments Wow Jayme, that must be the most fitting book there is for this challenge!

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14783 comments Some options:
Salt Houses (orchid on cover)
The Paris Architect (set in France)
Mademoiselle Chanel (set in Grance and Coco Chanel was French)

I'm leaning towards the last book right now, but we'll see what else I find and what suits my mood in February.

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 313 comments What fun! I got French Vanilla.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47843 comments I can't decide between two books for Squid Ink:

Ink and Bone (Ink in title)
Geisha, a Life (set in Japan)

I'll have to think on it a bit.

message 20: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9579 comments I got hokey pokey.

According to the wiki list this is a New Zealand flavour. Juliet Marillier is one of my new favourite authors. Son of the Shadows will be my February challenge read.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47843 comments Good choice, Margo! She is definitely one of my favourites, too.

message 22: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2341 comments Margo wrote: "I got hokey pokey.

According to the wiki list this is a New Zealand flavour. Juliet Marillier is one of my new favourite authors. Son of the Shadows will be my February ..."

Good to know you like this author. I have the first book in the series slated for the yearly challenge.

message 23: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10082 comments I'm excited to get coffee since it is the flavor that I buy most often.

I have the perfect book: Happy People Read and Drink Coffee

EXCEPT I READ IT YESTERDAY!☻

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13166 comments Now I want ice-cream...

message 25: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments Jayme wrote: "I think I am going to go with Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch Italy and Italian ice cream!!"

Jayme's book cover made me wonder if there is a Listopia for ice cream covers. There sure is: Frozen Desserts

message 26: by Esther (last edited Jan 25, 2020 03:29PM) (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4214 comments Janice wrote: "That's funny that the first two who posted got the same flavour!

I got squid ink! OMG! I had to google it to find information on it. The ice cream is black, and originated in Japan. That gives me..."

I got that one too! I think I am going to make the ink connection and read the 2nd book of The Great Library series, Paper and Fire

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19745 comments I got coffee. Absolutely one of my favorite flavors of ice cream. I am ready to eat ice cream any time too. I like to have a cup of coffee while I eat my ice cream. I don’t know why, just that they go together.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Just looked at the scoring and if I read my intended book i might well be a contender for the glue stick. Haha

message 29: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9579 comments Jayme wrote: "Margo wrote: "I got hokey pokey.

According to the wiki list this is a New Zealand flavour. Juliet Marillier is one of my new favourite authors. Son of the Shadows will b..."

I must admit I've only read the first book in the series but I really liked it Jayme. I know Janice and Lisa loved the series too.

message 30: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9579 comments Almeta wrote: "I'm excited to get coffee since it is the flavor that I buy most often.

I have the perfect book: Happy People Read and Drink Coffee

EXCEPT I READ IT YESTERDAY!☻"

LOL

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Margo wrote: "I got hokey pokey.

According to the wiki list this is a New Zealand flavour. Juliet Marillier is one of my new favourite authors. Son of the Shadows will be my February ..."

I loved Son of the Shadows! It's my favourite of the series so far.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I got 'Blue Moon'. It originated in the USA and is blue in colour, so that should give me plenty of options. Off to gopher.

message 33: by Lisa (last edited Jan 26, 2020 04:49AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Not the most original of connections, but I decided to go for an American author. I'm going to read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. It's been on my TBR for years and I keep putting it off, so I figured this would give me the incentive to finally read it.

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16841 comments French Vanilla for me!

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9275 comments Crab for me!

" a Japanese creation, it is described as having a sweet taste; the island of Hokkaido, Japan, is known for manufacturing it"

I will take a look at the page to see if there is some other fun information about it, but that above would make a good start.

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14783 comments I learned that the word vanilla is derived from the Latin vagina (via the Spanish vaina, both meaning sheath and referring to how vanilla grows). I thought that was unexpected.

Barelyspicy (Bash) (barelyspicy) | 263 comments I've got squid ink and I googled it its coloured black?, so a black cover?

Gullstruck Island Is a good option for me since I already purchased the book :)

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47843 comments I was going to go with Ink and Bone for squid ink, but realized I have too many audiobooks scheduled for February. I've decided to borrow Geisha, a Life from the library. It's set in Japan, and I'll get points for borrowing from the library.

message 39: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 26, 2020 10:41AM) (new)

Kristie | 13166 comments I just found out that there is a National Coffee Ice Cream Day and it is celebrated on September 6th. I may have to add that to my calendar.

message 40: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9579 comments Ooh me too - coffee ice cream is my favourite! I don't think I could fancy ice cream with a fishy name!

message 41: by Lucy (last edited Jan 26, 2020 02:05PM) (new)

Lucy Furr (lucyfurr) | 775 comments Chocolate chip is the flavor the randomozer selected for me.

Found a few cozy novels that would fit the bill via Chcolate being in the title:

Death by Chocolate has a cat on the cover.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder, starts with a C and has double C words in the title.

The Chocolate Cat Caper also has a cat on the cover and double c words. (Does that count as title starts with C or do we include "the" as the starting word?)

And I can get them all from my library.

message 42: by Katrisa (new)

Katrisa | 2271 comments I got French Vanilla. I am reading the Chocolat series right now, so maybe I'll use
Peaches for Father Francis (Chocolat, #3) by Joanne Harris

message 43: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1639 comments I got crab, a Japanese creation. I’ll likely read The Japanese Lover.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47843 comments Lucy wrote: "(Does that count as title starts with C or do we include "the" as the starting word?).."

You would include the word "the" as the starting word.

message 45: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I got Squid Ink. Don't think I have any interest in trying the ice cream, but I'm pretty sure I have a few books with some inked up main characters.

Lucy - I love JoAnna Carl's Chocoholic series!

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47843 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I got Squid Ink. Don't think I have any interest in trying the ice cream, but I'm pretty sure I have a few books with some inked up main characters.

Lucy - I love JoAnna Carl's Chocoholic series!"

I never even thought of tattoos when I considered what book I would choose.

message 47: by Grainne (new)

Grainne Coughlan | 464 comments I love ice-cream. I eat it all year round too. Probably toffee ice-cream is my favorite, closely followed by chocolate.

I got coffee ice-cream. Let’s see what I can find.

message 48: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Furr (lucyfurr) | 775 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Lucy - I love JoAnna Carl's Chocoholic series!"

I think that's what I'm going to go with, it's the most readily available from my library and now I have a recommendation!

Janice wrote: "Lucy wrote: "(Does that count as title starts with C or do we include "the" as the starting word?).."

You would include the word "the" as the starting word."

Sounds good, thanks!

message 49: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9275 comments For Crab, I might go with set in Japan, and read Pachinko or Memoirs of a Geisha.

message 50: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments So the Crab and Squid Ink ice creams, do they taste of crab/squid ink?

« previous 1 3