The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4665 comments Several group members want to read Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. This is where the book will be discussed once a date is agreed upon. Everyone is welcome to join. Please use spoiler tags as needed since everyone reads at different speeds and some people may join late.

Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Galaxy “Alex” Stern is the most unlikely member of Yale’s freshman class. Raised in the Los Angeles hinterlands by a hippie mom, Alex dropped out of school early and into a world of shady drug dealer boyfriends, dead-end jobs, and much, much worse. By age twenty, in fact, she is the sole survivor of a horrific, unsolved multiple homicide. Some might say she’s thrown her life away. But at her hospital bed, Alex is offered a second chance: to attend one of the world’s most elite universities on a full ride. What’s the catch, and why her?

Still searching for answers to this herself, Alex arrives in New Haven tasked by her mysterious benefactors with monitoring the activities of Yale’s secret societies. These eight windowless “tombs” are well-known to be haunts of the future rich and powerful, from high-ranking politicos to Wall Street and Hollywood’s biggest players. But their occult activities are revealed to be more sinister and more extraordinary than any paranoid imagination might conceive.

message 2: by ely (new)

ely | 30 comments guys what date should we start reading?? i ordered from my library which will take about a week.

message 3: by harper ♡ (new)

harper ♡ | 1 comments i would love to read ninth house with you guys, i have been meaning to read it for a while now. is that okay.?

message 4: by ely (new)

ely | 30 comments yes the more the better :)

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments If anyone doesn't have it, its on sale on kindle for $3.99 today (US).

message 6: by Kristi (new)

Kristi S (love2read456) | 8 comments Elietty, think next Sat or Sun is good? 2/1 or 2/2?
Is anyone else waiting for the book?

message 7: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestial_forslund) | 5 comments Just bought it since it's on sale, so I'm in.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Richardson I’m in as well to read the 9th House with you guys and Elietty

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi S (love2read456) | 8 comments I need a quick read for the week...any suggestions? Finishing up White Rose, Black Forest today or tomorrow.

message 10: by ely (new)

ely | 30 comments okay guys lets start ninth house feb 1st which is a saturday. everyone okay with that date?

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi S (love2read456) | 8 comments Sounds good!

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Richardson Okay Feb 1st sounds fine.

message 13: by ely (new)

ely | 30 comments if anyone doesnt have the book by feb 1st then you can listen to the audiobooks its on youtube :)

message 14: by Kristi (new)

Kristi S (love2read456) | 8 comments I've made it to chapter 5. I'm interested but not totally hooked yet, this is a little different than my usual reads. I'm finding it a little difficult to follow at times.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Bertrand | 8 comments How are folks doing? Anyone ready to discuss?

message 16: by Woman Reading (new)

Woman Reading - Happy Thanksgiving! | 233 comments I read this in December, really liked it and am open to discussing it.

My review if you've finished it - www.Goodreads.com/review/show/3078874535

I'm looking forward to the sequel.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael Bertrand | 8 comments Woman Reading wrote: "I read this in December, really liked it and am open to discussing it.

My review if you've finished it - www.Goodreads.com/review/show/3078874535

I'm looking forward to the sequel."

I enjoyed reading your review. I like how you reference the Ninth House- Harry Potter connection: especially how Alex does not get saved, where Harry does.

It's been six months or more since I read Ninth House. My memory of the plot is more than a little fuzzy now, but from what I remember, I like that Alex had seen real pain and suffering and persevered. I work at a 30 day inpatient AoDA rehab. I see many people who come through situations like Alex's (minus the ghost-stuff) and survive & thrive.

My only gripe was the turn towards romance novel genre at the end. I think it would be more consistent to leave Darlington missing.

message 18: by Woman Reading (new)

Woman Reading - Happy Thanksgiving! | 233 comments Michael wrote: "I enjoyed reading your review. I like how you reference the Ninth House- Harry Potter connection: especially how Alex does not get saved, where Harry does.

It's been six months or more since I read Ninth House. My memory of the plot is more than a little fuzzy now, but from what I remember, I like that Alex had seen real pain and suffering and persevered. I work at a 30 day inpatient AoDA rehab. I see many people who come through situations like Alex's (minus the ghost-stuff) and survive & thrive.

My only gripe was the turn towards romance novel genre at the end. I think it would be more consistent to leave Darlington missing."

Glad you enjoyed my review, Michael.
My memory is a bit fuzzy as well, but it didn't feel as though there was any romantic component between Darlington and Alex. Her resolve to retrieve Darlington stemmed from a combination of her survivor's guilt and her need for help dealing with the magical houses, which is him. The only romantic pining for Darlington was from that other woman in their house - can't recall her name - but who had helped Alex.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ninth House (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Leigh Bardugo (other topics)