2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > March - Earth Laughs in Flowers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Feb 24, 2020 07:26AM) (new)

oshizu | 5090 comments EARTH LAUGHS IN FLOWERS
Duration: March 1 through March 31, 2020

With a title from a poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson, this seasonal challenge celebrates the monthly theme of "Bloom" in its various idiomatic manifestations.
To sign up and join the fun, let the challenge leader know how many books you will be reading.

1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel
2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging
3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired
4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story
5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book
6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions
7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own
8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education."

This challenge was created by Allie, who will be leading this challenge. Thanks so much, Allie!

message 2: by Allie (last edited Apr 01, 2020 07:19PM) (new)

Allie | 279 comments Participants

Allie: 5/8
Ash: 0/8
Ashley (#18): 0/8
Crystal: 1/2
Greg: 1/5
J4mi3: 2/3
Jane Melody: 1/3
Jessica: 4/5
Lisa: 0/1
Melissa: 0/8
Nell: 1/3
Octothorpe Reader Leora K: 0/2
Ruth: 0/8
Suzanne: 0/8
Wolf (Alpha): 0/8

Completed
Mie: 6/4
Brittany: 6/4
oshizu: 6/6
Carmen: 8/8
Sarah: 2/2
Sue: 2/2
Elisa: 3/3
Regina: 4/4
Lucie Renee: 6/6
Trisha: 5/5
Snezana: 5/5
SarahKat: 6/6
Samantha: 5/5
Catka: 5/5
Joanna: 5/5
Ashley (#27): 3/3
Lynn: 8/8
Megan BG: 5/4
TerryJane: 8/8
Darinda: 4/4
Tracy: 5/5
Alison: 8/8
Nathalia: 7/7
Rachel: 4/4
Nicole: 3/3
Ashleigh: 2/2
Tania: 4/4

message 3: by Mie (last edited Mar 13, 2020 11:44PM) (new)

Mie | 1897 comments Hi Allie, please sign me up for 4 🤗

6/4 - COMPLETE ✔️

📗 1. Bloom of Youth: Half Lost
📗 2. The Bloom is Off the Rose: A Morbid Taste for Bones
📗 3. Your Year to Bloom: A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
📗 5. Blood-Bloom: Fool Moon
📗 6. Algae Bloom: Sort perle
📗 7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: Pudd'nhead Wilson

message 4: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Mar 19, 2020 11:26PM) (new)

oshizu | 5090 comments What a delightful challenge, Allie! Please sign me up for 6 books.

Progress: 6/6

✔️1. Bloom of Youth: Weep Not, Child (coming-of-age novel)
3. Your Year to Bloom: Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer (inspiring book)
✔️4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country (author lives in Denmark for a year)
✔️5. Blood-Bloom: Lord of Emperors (fantasy)
✔️6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): Other American Dreams
✔️7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: I Am the Brother of XX
✔️8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit...": Hallowed Murder (university setting)

My planning post

message 5: by Regina (last edited Mar 26, 2020 08:37AM) (new)

Regina Lemoine | 482 comments Please sign me up for 4 books. Great challenge idea!

Progress: 4/4

✅1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel Life After Life
✅2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging The People in the Trees
✅6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions Remarkable Creatures
✅7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own A Morbid Taste for Bones (Some characters speak Welsh)

message 6: by Carmen (last edited Mar 20, 2020 10:33AM) (new)

Carmen | 4130 comments Hola!
Allie, congrats for your blooming idea and thanks for leading us!
Sign me up for all the 8, please 😉

PROGRESS: 8/8

✔1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel
Paradise (coming-of-age)
✔️2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging
Cien años de soledad (Publication date: June 05, 1967: year and month of my birth)
✔3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired
Are Women Human? Astute and Witty Essays on the Role of Women in Society (Inspirational)
✔4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story
How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents(character moves/relocates)
✔5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book
Enchanted Glass (Fantasy)
✔6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions
A Fish Caught in Time: The Search for the Coelacanth (About a fish)
✔️7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own
The Kiltartan Poetry Book (Translated from the Irish)
✔8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education."
Macbeth (Play)

message 7: by Catka (last edited Mar 30, 2020 12:11PM) (new)

Catka | 269 comments Me too, me too. I will go for 8 pls
Progress: 8/8

✔️ 1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel - Oblak a veľryba (Cloud and Wallfish) by Anne Nesbet
✔️ 2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging - Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow
✔️ 3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired - White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo
✔️ 4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story - Večne spievajú lesy (Beyond Sing the Woods) by Trygve Gulbranssen
✔️ 5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book - Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips
✔️ 6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions - The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See
✔️ 7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own - A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy
✔️ 8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education." - The Secret History by Donna Tartt

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Feb 24, 2020 12:25PM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I'm in!
I'll sign up for 1, thankyou :)

You know what really sucks though? I had a particular book in mind for this challenge, but I cannot, for the life of me, remember what book it was :D

message 9: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2817 comments I'll sign up for 6!

The Plan: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Tania (last edited Apr 01, 2020 04:15AM) (new)

Tania | 901 comments I'm in for 4.
COMPLETE
March - Earth Laughs in Flowers (4/4)

With a title from a poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson, this seasonal challenge celebrates the monthly theme of "Bloom" in its various idiomatic manifestations.

✓1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel: Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott with Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Iaconis (finished 3/29), my review is here
2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging
✓3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired - THE KING WHOSE NAME IS LOVE: Eight Tales of Faith by Shlomo Kalo (finished 3/31), my review is here
✓4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story: Every Falling Star: The True Story of How I Survived and Escaped North Korea by Sungju Lee (finished 3/1), my review is here
5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book
6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions
✓7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own: Many of the characters speak other languages, including R2D2 and C3PO, and their language skills are mentioned, Target by Alex Wheeler (finished 3/8), my review is here
8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education."

message 11: by Lynn (last edited Mar 28, 2020 04:55PM) (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1517 comments EARTH LAUGHS IN FLOWERS

With a title from a poem by Ralph Waldo Emerson, this seasonal challenge celebrates ?

8/8 as of March 28! DONE!

Appleblossom the Possum

Appleblossom and all her other A-possum siblings come of age in this one!
March 9--5/5 stars
Vincent and Theo: The Van Gogh Brothers

You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness
by Julie Klam
Her own aging is a theme, beyond the point of having another child? or not?
March 19--5/5 stars

3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired
A Room of One's Own

March 8--5/5 stars
Hidden Figures

4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story
War of the Wives

Lottie relocates to the mideast to be with Simon, then she relocates back to London.
March 1--5/5 stars

Trail of Lightning
-Fantasy
March 17--3/5 stars

Secrets Of Lost Arrow

Nan's house is very near Lightfoot Creek, where they wade, explore, search for treasures, and observe strange glowing visions at night.
March 24--5/5 stars

7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own
Inferno

March 27--5/5 stars

The Laramie Project

A play.
March 26--5/5 stars

message 12: by Allie (last edited Apr 01, 2020 07:16PM) (new)

Allie | 279 comments I'm in for 9! :) I'm in for 8. One of my books, about a horrible virus spreading wildly through a population, is just a little too close to home right now.

Progress: 5/8

1. Bloom of Youth: The Way You Make Me Feel (YA) completed 03/06/20
2. The Bloom is Off the Rose:The Great Alone(set in the 70s) completed 04/01/20
3. Your Year to Bloom: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change (self-improvement)
4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: Daughter of Smoke & Bone (a fish-out-of-water story)
5. Blood-Bloom: Marvels completed 03/16/20
6. Algae Bloom: Rosemary Cottage (sea/beach) completed 03/10/20
8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: Othello (play) completed 3/11/20

message 13: by Allie (new)

Allie | 279 comments Updated to here. Welcome, everyone, and happy reading!

message 14: by George (last edited Mar 29, 2020 07:27AM) (new)

George | 4 comments I'd like to sign up for 3!

Progress: 2/3

✔️1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel The Winter of the Witch
4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story The Golem and the Djinni
✔️5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book: The Traitor Baru Cormorant

message 15: by Sue (last edited Mar 23, 2020 06:26AM) (new)

Sue | 95 comments I'll sign up for 2.

2/2 - COMPLETED

4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story The Lioness of Morocco (3/20/20)
6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions Wind Chime Summer (3/6/20)

message 16: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh Motbey | 926 comments I'm going to try and go for 2!

message 17: by Alison (last edited Mar 29, 2020 05:21PM) (new)

Alison | 846 comments I am in for 8! :)
Progress: 8/8 as of 3/30/2020...**Complete**

√ 1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel -Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
√ 2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging - Great and Precious Things...the father of the main character has early onset Alzheimer's and he comes home help take care of him.
√ 3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired - Mere Christianity
√ 4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story - Wild at Heart
√ 5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book - A Heart of Blood and Ashes
√ 6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions - The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics
√ 7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
√ 8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education." - Half Truths

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashielizz) | 58 comments EARTH LAUGHS IN FLOWERS
0/8

message 19: by Crystal (last edited Mar 31, 2020 07:38PM) (new)

Crystal | 695 comments 1/2

4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story Frontier Grit: The Unlikely True Stories of Daring Pioneer Women

message 20: by Joanna (last edited Mar 27, 2020 01:18PM) (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) | 177 comments Finished March 27, 2020

EARTH LAUGHS IN FLOWERS
Duration: March 1, 2020 - March 31, 2020

I'm in for 5:
Read 5/5

Lloyd-Jones, Emily - The Bone Houses (March 09, 2020)
Schulz-Wimmer, Heinz - Reite das Gewohnheitstier: Routine raffiniert einsetzen (Riding the Creature of Habit) (March 22, 2020)
Roncagliolo, Santiago - Red April (March 16, 2020)
Roanhorse, Rebecca - Trail of Lightning (March 27, 2020)
Saadawi, Ahmed - Frankenstein in Bagdad (March 14, 2020)

message 21: by Snezana (last edited Mar 30, 2020 04:54AM) (new)

Snezana | 166 comments EARTH LAUGHS IN FLOWERS

I'll go for 5.

5/5

1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel Defy Me
5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book House of Earth and Blood
6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions The Ocean at the End of the Lane
7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own The Other People
8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education." Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5) by Tahereh Mafi The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1) by Sarah J. Maas The Other People by C.J. Tudor

message 22: by Jade Melody (last edited Mar 15, 2020 05:34PM) (new)

Jade Melody (jademelody) | 85 comments Earth Laughs in Flowers
March 1st 2020 - March 31st 2020

Sign me up for 3!
1/3

🌷Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel
🌷The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging
🌷Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired

COMPLETED
🌷 Your Year to Boom The Tea Dragon Society

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1618 comments Put me down for 5 books.

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Mar 23, 2020 02:47AM) (new)

Sarah (misssummerrain) | 717 comments I am going to go for 2

2/2COMPLETED

✅1.Bloom of Youth; read a YA or coming-or-age novel-The Belles(15/3/20)
✅8."Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone."-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education."-To the Nines(20/3/20)

message 25: by Tracy (last edited Mar 29, 2020 07:56AM) (new)

Tracy Ledford | 61 comments I’m in for 5

5/5

Bloom of Youth; read a YA or coming-of-age novel
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling

The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new or fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging
When You Reach Me
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired
The Imperfect Disciple: Grace for People Who Can't Get Their Act Together
The Imperfect Disciple Grace for People Who Can't Get Their Act Together by Jared C. Wilson

Bloom Where You're Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story
The Tuscan Child
The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen

"Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone."-Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education. Go See the Principal: True Tales from the School Trenches
Go See the Principal True Tales from the School Trenches by Gerry Brooks

message 26: by Brittany (last edited Mar 24, 2020 01:52PM) (new)

Brittany | 504 comments I'm in for 4!
6/4

1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer
3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired [ [bookcover:Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things|23848559]
4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story Resistance Women by Jennifer Chiaverini
5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost
7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4) by Brandon Sanderson
8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education." Written in Blood (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #2) by Sheila Lowe

message 27: by Ashley (last edited Mar 28, 2020 02:00PM) (new)

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 1116 comments I will try for 3 books.
1. YA Novel - These Happy Golden Years
2. Written in decade born - World Without End
5. Fantasy - Virgins

message 28: by Darinda (last edited Mar 29, 2020 12:30AM) (new)

Darinda (nightcapbooks) | 238 comments I'm in for 4 books.

1. Bloom of Youth: Turtles All the Way Down
2. The Bloom is Off the Rose: Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
3. Your Year to Bloom: Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy
5. Blood-Bloom: The City of Mirrors

message 29: by Tresdivas (last edited Mar 25, 2020 02:52PM) (new)

Tresdivas | 106 comments I'm in for 8.
8/8

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Charlie learning about relationships / interactions throughout high school years)
2. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968)
3. Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life
4. The Alchemist Santiago moved from Spain to Africa to Egypt and back to Spain
5. Year One witches, elves, fairies
6. Leave No Trace - takes place in the Boundary Waters in Minnesota (glacial lakes)
7. Love Me Forever (Scottish brogue)
8. Othello

Thank you

message 30: by Megan BG (last edited Apr 02, 2020 08:17PM) (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1338 comments My goal is 4

7/4

1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel: Sia
3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired: The Way I Heard It
4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story: A Handful of Heaven
5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book: Library of Souls
6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions: Cottage by the Sea
7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own: Wall of Silence
8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education: The Secret History

message 31: by TerryJane, Challenges (last edited Mar 28, 2020 07:39PM) (new)

TerryJane | 1152 comments I'd like to join for all 8 prompts. Thanks!

EARTH LAUGHS IN FLOWERS - Monthly Challenge
Duration: March 1-31, 2020
Progress: 8/8 -- COMPLETE

🌷 1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel
Emma
🌷 2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (published 1968)
🌷 3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired
Grateful American: A Journey from Self to Service (actor with a heart for veterans, military, and first responders)
🌷 4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story
The Little Shop of Found Things (mother and daughter relocate)
🌷 5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book
Traitor to the Throne (YA fantasy)
🌷 6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions
Last Man Off: A True Story of Disaster and Survival on the Antarctic Seas (environmental observer aboard fishing vessel that sinks)
🌷 7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own
Ella Enchanted (Ella speaks Gnomish)
🌷 8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education."
One of Us Is Lying (set in school)

message 32: by Nicole (last edited Apr 01, 2020 01:50AM) (new)

Nicole Woods (nicole_woods65) | 909 comments I'm in for 3!

2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging= Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance (Originally published in 1995- a year before I was born.)
4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story= Help Me to Find My People: The African American Search for Family Lost in Slavery
7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own= Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, Tome 1 (Book is originally in Japanese, I read it in French, and most of the characters are Italian.)

Goal Met So Far: 3/3

message 33: by Elisa (last edited Mar 24, 2020 03:42AM) (new)

Elisa Bandstra | 63 comments Im in with 1 book for the Bloom Where You're Planted with the book The Giver Of Stars

Your Year to Bloom: Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World

Bloom Where You’re Planted: The Giver of Stars

3/3

message 34: by Lucie Renee (last edited Mar 26, 2020 07:29PM) (new)

Lucie Renee (lucierenee) | 41 comments EARTH LAUGHS IN FLOWERS
Duration: March 1, 2020 - March 31, 2020

6/6 plus 1

I am going to read 6.
I hope.
I'm also participating in a Middle Grade March Readathon and so most of my picks are Middle Grade.

1. Bloom of Youth: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell, (FINISHED 3/24/20) or
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (FINISHED 3/13/20)

2. The Bloom is Off the Rose: It's Like This, Cat by Emily Cheney Neville which was the Newberry winner in 1964. (FINISHED 3/26/20)

3. Your Year to Bloom: The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery - DNF

4. Bloom Where You Are Planted: The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley (FINISHED 3/6/20)

5. Blood Bloom: Tilly and the Bookwanderers by Anna James (FINISHED 3/3/20)

6. Algae Bloom: The Line Tender by Kate Allen
(FINISHED 3/1/2020) I read this whole book today!

8. "Ignorance is like a delicate fruit ..."; The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt (FINISHED 3/17/20)

Good luck everybody.

My favorite this challenge was The Wednesday Wars.

message 35: by Suzanne (last edited Mar 05, 2020 12:58PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 195 comments 2020 Reading Challenge
March - Earth Laughs in Flowers
Duration:
March 1 through March 31, 2020

Progress: 1 out of 8

5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book:
Fate's Edge by Ilona Andrews - **** - 3/3/2020 - 372 Pages

Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3) by Ilona Andrews

message 36: by Melissa (last edited Mar 10, 2020 09:45AM) (new)

Melissa (melthereader) | 148 comments Please sign me up for 8! 5 complete, 1 in progress

🌷1. Bloom of Youth: read a YA or coming-of-age novel By the Shores of Silver Lake, completed March 8, 2020
--2. The Bloom is Off the Rose (something that is no longer new & fresh): read a book written or set in the decade of your birth or a book with the theme of aging: maybe Elephants Can Remember? Or The Roses of No Man's Land? (in progress)
3. Your Year to Bloom: read a self-improvement book or a book you predict will make you feel inspired Maybe Factfulness?
🌷4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercules Poirot has recently moved to England as a refugee from Belgium during WWI), completed March 6, 2020
5. Blood-Bloom: Blood-bloom plants have appeared in Game of Thrones, Superman, and fantasy card games, so read a fantasy, superhero, or vampire book: maybe Shadow of the Wind?
🌷6. Algae Bloom (rapid growth of algae that causes discoloration in the water): read a story about the sea, a lake, the beach, or a book about the health of our aquatic and coastal regions Evil Under the Sun (set at a resort on the sea, including at a beach), completed March 2, 2020
🌷7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own Notes from New Zealand (some characters speak in Maori or New Zealand slang) completed March 3, 2020
🌷8. “Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education." Stop-Time, completed March 10, 2020

message 37: by Greg (new)

Greg (lupercross) | 1618 comments 7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: The Murder Exchange

1/5

Octothorpe Reader Leora K (octothorpereaderleorak) | 276 comments I'm in for 2 please!

EARTH LAUGHS IN FLOWERS - Monthly Challenge
Duration: March 1-31, 2020
Progress: 0/2

message 39: by Wolf (Alpha) (new)

Wolf (Alpha) | 249 comments I'm in for all 8.
Earth Laughs In Flowers Challenge
Duration: March 1 - March 21,2020
Progress: 0/8

message 40: by Lucie Renee (new)

Lucie Renee (lucierenee) | 41 comments I just updated Message #34.

2 books down.

message 41: by Samantha (last edited Mar 30, 2020 07:55AM) (new)

Samantha King | 221 comments Sign me up for 5 please!

Progress: 5/5

All the Stars and Teeth

The Giver of Stars

Norse Mythology

Summer of '79: A Summer of '69 Story

The Far Field

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Pritt (prittjesssica) | 96 comments I am going to try to read these. 4/8

message 43: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5090 comments Update to msg #4

✔️1. Bloom of Youth: Weep Not, Child (coming-of-age novel)
✔️4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country (author lives in Denmark for a year)

Progress: 2/6

message 44: by Nathalia (new)

Nathalia Mel (natimel) | 54 comments Progress: 3/7

1. A Educação de Eleanor Bloom of Youth
2. Doze Contos Peregrinos The Bloom is Off the Rose
3. Cultivando a Mente de Amor Your Year to Bloom
5. A Garota que Lia as Estrelas Blood-Bloom
6. Um Lugar Bem Longe Daqui Algae Bloom
7. LiliBloomin’ ‘eck
8. A Garota das Laranjas“Ignorance is like a delicate fruit; touch it, and the bloom is gone.” —Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest: read a play, a book set in school or university, or a book about education."

message 45: by TerryJane, Challenges (new)

TerryJane | 1152 comments Updated message 31. Read 1/8.

message 46: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1338 comments 1/4

4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: read a book where a character moves/relocates or read a fish-out-of-water story: A Handful of Heaven

message 30

message 47: by Ash (last edited Mar 05, 2020 07:03AM) (new)

Ash | 42 comments Sign me up for 8 please.

7. Bloomin’ ‘eck: read a story in which characters speak a different language, dialect, or slang than your own The Grass Crown

An Instance of the Fingerpost

0/8

message 48: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Mar 27, 2020 09:44AM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2005 comments Hi Allie, please sign me up for 5 books.
Current progress: 5/5.

Completed prompts:

1. Bloom of Youth: Five Feet Apart
3. Your Year to Bloom: Shri Sai Satcharita
4. Bloom Where You’re Planted: MaddAddam (the characters are mostly on a move to save themselves from a human-melting virus and survivors with criminal tendencies)
5. Blood-Bloom: Lord of Emperors (Fantasy).
8. Read a book set in school: Carrie

message 49: by George (new)

George | 4 comments Updated message 14
I read 1/3

message 50: by Lucie Renee (new)

Lucie Renee (lucierenee) | 41 comments Updated message #34.

Finished my 3rd book.
Thanks

« previous 1 3