Play Book Tag discussion

The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
This topic is about The Silence of the Lambs
January 2020: Thriller > [poll ballot] silence of the lambs | Thomas Harris | 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Idit | 1028 comments The Silence of the Lambs

A serial killer on the loose, a young FBI trainee, a few wise old men - some more loathsom than others, one more canibal than them all.

I assume we all know the story of Clarice Starling and Hannibal Lecter
I've watched the movie few times (long time ago though) but never read the book.

It's not as iconic as the movie, but all the things that made the movie are there. Just that little magic dust that made it bigger than its origins.

The writing is flowing and mostly interesting, but there's something old fashioned that didn't survive these three decades I fear
I found the evil characters so over the top they were ridiculous. Maybe I'm naive but they both were just almost impossible. God-like hannibal lecter who can practically do anything and is almost likeable beside the part where he is a psycho serial killer with love of eating his victims and torturing others, and 'Buffalo Bill' who's evil plans are so detailed and ridiculous - the pattern making and the discussions over the best location for the sewing stitches of the skin vest...
Clarice is described in a much shallower way and is a bit of a flat character

The thing that bothered me most was that luckily and conveniently enough Hannibal Lecter knew the killer.
So there's no unraveling mystery of how they figured it out. There's just a huge leap and he feeds them information from time to time.
So basically - the book stands or falls on his character

all in all - it's an enjoyable and easy read that the memories of the movie enrich
but I"m not sure what I would have thought have I not known the story in advance.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I read this when I was about 14 and it terrified me!

Idit | 1028 comments It’s less terrifying when I know everything that’s coming (thank goodness - because I scare easily)

But there are some scenes there that were still scary!