Star Trek Reads discussion

The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
This topic is about The Last Best Hope
The Next Generation > The new Picard series

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 73 comments When checking on the autobiography status, I saw this book listed with a decent hardcover price of $11.59. Release date is February 11. It is the bridge into the new series.

Has anyone see the new series? I am waiting for some comments on it before deciding whether to pay for CBS All Access. Maybe this book will tell me if I want to stream it or not. Discovery wasn't enough to grab me in the 1st few episodes I saw at a friend's.

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz | 4 comments Only one episode is out so far. I watched it and...well it wasn't bad exactly, but it seems to have no purpose other than "LOOK! IT'S YOUR OLD FAVES!" And updating the effects. The one new character is directly related to a pre-existing one, just like in STD.

I'm only watching to find out what happens to Seven of Nine...and she's not even in this first episode.

Bruce | 42 comments I've seen the first episode three times, and many people really like it. I know people that don't care for Discovery but love this Picard series.

message 4: by Carlissa (new) - added it

Carlissa | 17 comments I watched the first episode today, and I liked it. Looking forward to seeing Seven of Nine, hopefully in the next episode.

message 5: by W (new)

W I read a BBC article today,that the pace of this series will be "very measured". Hopefully,something different,though not sure whether I'd like a Picard,who is this old.

message 6: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 73 comments YouTube had the 1st episode for free, so I watched it this week. It didn't grab me. I will watch if more are posted for free, but it didn't excite me enough to sign up for CBS streaming.

I was communicating with an author and the country where he is, they can watch it on Netflix and don't have to sign up for CBS All Access. When ViacomCBS comes out with its new streaming service at the end of the year, I wonder if all the current paramount movies and series on Netflix and Amazon will be pulled.

message 7: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Jeanmougin | 3 comments I watched the first episode. I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely a bit different than the other Treks, much more cinematic and you can tell the entire show is going to be mainly one story, not several serial episodes. I won't sign up to CBS for it, unless maybe I grab the week free trial when the whole season is out and I can binge watch it.

First episode has a lot of the same problems almost every other first episode of a Star Trek run has -whole lot of time setting everything up without a whole lot of forward momentum, lots of exposition. I'm sure it'll get better as it has more breathing room. And it nifty to see them spend some time on Earth.

Also I almost cried when I saw Brent Spiner in that gold make up.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (brokencompass) | 151 comments Mod
I've seen all three of the released episodes so far, and it's SO good. I have to admit, the first episode didn't grab me a lot, but each episode has built up steam, with the third one being my favourite so far. You can definitely tell that Treklit authors work on the series because you can feel their voice in it. The way the stories are told, the character development... it feels like I'm watching one of my favourite Trek authors.

message 9: by CJ (new)

CJ (thebookdream) | 6 comments I watched all three episodes and am loving it so far. My parents (fans since the original run of TOS) are also into it. We all look forward to the new episode on Thursday 🙂

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 18 comments I adore the new series. I thought both Disco and Picard are fun. I will admit I think Picard is fantastic. Little things like the tech discrepancies simply don't exist. I love the easter eggs for TNG fans and the continuation of stories. Each episode I have so many questions and I haven't been so intellectually engaged in a really long time.

message 11: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 73 comments E.M. wrote: "I watched the first episode. I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely a bit different than the other Treks, much more cinematic and you can tell the entire show is going to be mainly one story..."

I agree Star Trek 1st episodes have always had difficulties. It was a while before I watched DS9. Enterprise I watched, but I was busy trying to reconcile a past version of the Federation and Vulcans with the one I started on in the original series. Voyager I actually liked from the very beginning. Unlike a lot of fans, STNG has never been my favorite. I have many friends who hated Star Trek until STNG came out. At conventions it was interesting to watch the Voyager and STNG fans take sides.

Discovery, I watched the 1st 6 episodes or so and it didn't make me want to pay to sign up. I thought Picard might change that, but the 1st episode didn't make it into a need.