Play Book Tag discussion

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot Tally] Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrassse Tyson 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 6919 comments This set of essays varied in what I thought of them, but they average out to a solid 3 stars. This is a brief overview and introduction to astrophysics that starts with the big bang theory (oddly written as though it were proven fact although it is a cool theory) and moves on to various and sundry aspects of this field. Very little history of it, a smidge here and there with Copernicus or Galileo, but nothing about Gauss and others who contributed some rather amazing things astronomy that, in my mind, is rather interestingly related. It primarily focuses on 20th and 21st century things, so just what most people like.

Can you live happily without this book? Absolutely, but if you really want an introduction to this field that has no math or complex equations and is written for the layperson, this is one possibility for you.

My your reading be evergreen

message 2: by Theresa (last edited Jan 24, 2020 04:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Theresa | 6298 comments I read this a year or so ago for one of the monthly tags...at Amy' persuasion. I enjoyed it over all although some essays more than others. I was rather surprised at how much wasn't as foreign to me as I thought, from reading newspaper articles. And a month after reading it some cool space phenomena discussed in one of the esays made the news again and I felt so 'in the know'!

I am definitely the intended lay person!

Karin | 6919 comments Theresa wrote: "I read this a year or so ago for one of the monthly tags...at Amy' persuasion. I enjoyed it over all although some essays more than others. I was rather surprised at how much wasn't as foreign to m..."

Me too when it comes to astrophysics--but I plan to ask one of my brother about it. He is Piled Higher and Deeper in Physics and teaches it at a Canadian university. BUT not astrophysics. His specialty in his post-doc was low temperature physics. Still, he may have read this.

Theresa | 6298 comments I believe the author has a new collection of essays out that I have toyed with the idea of reading.

Karin | 6919 comments Theresa wrote: "I believe the author has a new collection of essays out that I have toyed with the idea of reading."

I am probably going to pass on that one. Have you read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking?

Theresa | 6298 comments Karin wrote: "Theresa wrote: "I believe the author has a new collection of essays out that I have toyed with the idea of reading."

I am probably going to pass on that one. Have you read A Brief History of Time ..."

No. On the endless TBR though.