English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Jørn Lier Horst
This topic is about Jørn Lier Horst
Awards and Conferences > Edgar nomination for Wisting

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 68 comments The first episode of the TV-series Wisting, based on Jørn Lier Horst's books The Caveman and The Hunting Dogs, is nominated for the American Edgar Award, in the category of best script for a TV-series. The series is available on Sundance Now and BBC four.

message 2: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments Absolute love this series and have watched it on BBC 4. Hoping to watch the last two episodes tonight. Please let there be many, many more. Excellent story lines, great characters, beautiful countryside and I LOVE THE SNOW.

message 3: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 68 comments Gisela, I'm glad you enjoyed the series as well as the backdrop of Norwegian winter landscape. It's my homeland after all.

message 4: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2434 comments Mod
We enjoyed the series. Good cast, storyline and writer good.

message 5: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments Watched the last two episodes last night and I really enjoyed this series. Great diverse characters and so much more real police life than your average British or American series. Hope there will be more of this. Love it.

message 6: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 68 comments Gisela wrote: "Watched the last two episodes last night and I really enjoyed this series. Great diverse characters and so much more real police life than your average British or American series. Hope there will b..."

Jørn Lier Horst was a police officer before he became a writer, and that's probably why the policing in this series is so realistic.

message 7: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments I just realised I have read two of his books, giving them both 5 stars. I did recognise his name in the credits, but for some reason associated him with other books. Might pick this series up again, now that I have a picture of Wisting in my head again.

My husband and I are planning a Norway tour, but want to make sure we have enough time and know enough of where to go. Especially the country side seems to be breathtakingly beautiful. When do you think is the best time to visit Norway?

message 8: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

General reference a new book series with this author and Thomas Enger, a writer I have really enjoyed reading....

Death Deserved. Thomas Enger, Jørn Lier Horst, Anne Bruce, preordered iBook . 15 January 2020

And another due September 2020 Nullpunkt...search ENGLISH.....blood count.??

message 9: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 68 comments Gisela wrote: "I just realised I have read two of his books, giving them both 5 stars. I did recognise his name in the credits, but for some reason associated him with other books. Might pick this series up again..."

I'd say that the summer season is the best time, especially if you want to go on a cruice along the coast up to the north of Norway, which is a very popular voyage. The winter weather can be quite rough.

message 10: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 68 comments Sharon wrote: "General reference a new book series with this author and Thomas Enger, a writer I have really enjoyed reading....

Death Deserved. Thomas Enger, Jørn Lier Horst, Anne Bruce, preordered iBook . 15 J..."

The English title of Nullpunkt is Death Deserved (Blix & Ramm no 1).

message 11: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Tone wrote: "Sharon wrote: "General reference a new book series with this author and Thomas Enger, a writer I have really enjoyed reading....

Death Deserved. Thomas Enger, Jørn Lier Horst, Anne Bruce, preorder..."

Thank you. My source said a second book due September.... will start this book next ...

message 12: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments Sharon wrote: "General reference a new book series with this author and Thomas Enger, a writer I have really enjoyed reading....

Death Deserved. Thomas Enger, Jørn Lier Horst, Anne Bruce, preordered iBook . 15 J..."

I have noticed that many more Scandinavian writers are first published in German. Also tend to have all books, not like sometimes in English some of a series. I hate this, makes not sense. If you read a series, you need all the books. I am lucky that I can read both, but why make this differentiation.
What is really disappointing, that so many good German writers are never translated into English. Why is that? It's a shame.

message 13: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Agree but it’s the same with Dutch. They appear way before English. But 37 years later in Europe the improvement and change is only positive.

On another note. Wishing was good but there are dozens plus on Netflix etc. Scandinavian films and series are numerous as fabulous.

message 14: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments Sharon wrote: "Agree but it’s the same with Dutch. They appear way before English. But 37 years later in Europe the improvement and change is only positive.

On another note. Wishing was good but there are dozen..."

I am not very good with Netflix. Never seem to find what I want. What would you search for, when you want to find Scandinavian films?

message 15: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (last edited Feb 03, 2020 05:59AM) (new)

Gisela wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Agree but it’s the same with Dutch. They appear way before English. But 37 years later in Europe the improvement and change is only positive.

On another note. Wishing was good but ..."

When you subscribe to Netflix you use your email and it’s great as they then send regular emails of new items added. Imo if you watch international click on your review so they build up your likes. I find it much better to search and add new items to My List on NETFLIX on my APP on my iPad than through the smart tv search. But up to each individual. Search for some names from the various list posted on GRs for example. Most TV guides now list new Netflix programs nowadays too.
Searching...kiss...keep it basic and simple. Scandinanivan series, etc...see what hits you get....
This is excellent to browse through. I keep lists of everything and that way seasons etc. Using this link or similar sources, it’s easy to get some ideas then search and build up My List on NETFLIX....or other streaming systems. Good to get this newsletter by email for new ideas.
https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.c...

There are so many services like this. I follow a few on Facebook and they post so many things it’s fascinating....

message 16: by Tone (new)

Tone  | 68 comments Back to Wisting, the nominees in this category are:

"Season 5, Episode 3" – Line of Duty, Teleplay by Jed Mercurio
"Season 5, Episode 4" – Line of Duty, Teleplay by Jed Mercurio
"Episode 1" – Dublin Murders, Teleplay by Sarah Phelps
"Episode 1" – Manhunt, Teleplay by Ed Whitmore
"Episode 1" – The Wisting, Teleplay by Katherine Valen Zeiner & Trygve Allister Diesen

The winner will be presented on April 30.

message 17: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

New Norwegian series on Netflix just this week....
Ragnarok.....

message 18: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments Sharon wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Agree but it’s the same with Dutch. They appear way before English. But 37 years later in Europe the improvement and change is only positive.

On another note. Wishin..."

Sharon wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Sharon wrote: "Agree but it’s the same with Dutch. They appear way before English. But 37 years later in Europe the improvement and change is only positive.

On another note. Wishin..."

Brilliant, thank you so much. I shall try all your different suggestions.
Thank you very much

message 19: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Btw if you really want full on drama and excellent casting watch season 1 & 2 of The Team on Netflix! Fantastic thrilling non stop action around Europe country to country....very good! Just binged to finish season two and it was excellent. Denmark, Brussels, Hamburg, Graz, London....etc....
https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Team

message 20: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 100 comments Sharon wrote: "Btw if you really want full on drama and excellent casting watch season 1 & 2 of The Team on Netflix! Fantastic thrilling non stop action around Europe country to country....very good! Just binged ..."
Thanks, going to have a look