YU Readers Club discussion

Book Nominations > January 2020 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (last edited Jan 26, 2020 03:54PM) (new)

Samantha De Vera | 5 comments I nominate The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

This book is placed in a dystopia where there is a Second American Civil War caused by declining birth rates and environmental disasters. This results in the rise of the Republic of Gilead. "a totalitarian regime that enforces rigid social roles and enslaves the few remaining fertile women." The protagonist, Offred, is a Handmaid that must produce children for one of Gilead's commanders. She is taken away from her family, her rights and her real name. "Offred clings to her memories and her will to survive."

I believe that this should be the next book for us to read because it is one of Margaret Atwood's best books . It is also (if you are interested) a different type of dystopia from what we have read so far. The Institute is based on technological control, The Handmaid's Tale is based on government control. Knowing the synopsis of this book and hearing readers outside of York praising the way this work was written, there are many interesting aspects and topics to discuss. Also, it has a reasonable page count (311) compared to the books we have read (taking into consideration that books must be read within approximately one month).

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily  Woods | 2 comments I nominate haunting of hill house by Shirley Jackson

I read this book when I was 14 and remember almost nothing but I know it was totally different from the Netflix adaptation

Essentially it's a classic haunted house story from the late 50s

message 3: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia Lizcano | 1 comments I nominate the Jurassic Park

Do not be confused by the film version, this is a very well structured book dealing with interesting and heavy hitting topics, as well as being an actual terrifying adventure that will haunt you afterwards. It is incredibly well written book and the details and storytelling well compel you to continue reading.

message 4: by Precious (new)

Precious | 1 comments I nominate We are weather by Jonathan Safran Foer. A world changing call to action on climate change. With solutions that individuals can put into practice.