Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Hugo/Nebula 2020 > Who will be nominated for Nebula 2020? Guess and win!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (last edited Jan 24, 2020 08:44AM) (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3717 comments Mod
On February 20th, Nebula award nominees should be announced. We decided it can be fun to flex our forecast muscles and guess which novels will be nominated. So, members are allowed to post up to six novels that can be nominees. The person, who correctly predicts the most will get $15 Amazon Gift Card. In case of a tie will use random.org to select the winner

Let's see how well we do!

Deadline for your lists in Feb 18th, 2020

message 2: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 698 comments Was the thread name a typo? (2019) I know Nebula can be wonky with its dates sometimes...

message 3: by Cordelia (last edited Feb 08, 2020 03:08PM) (new)

message 4: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Jan 24, 2020 04:02PM) (new)

Kateblue | 3780 comments Mod
I think Middlegame, though if not for the Nebula, then Hugo

I'm not saying this because I am crazy about it. and I am also about 80% through--I keep starting and stopping

message 5: by Eva (last edited Jan 24, 2020 10:17PM) (new)

Eva | 0 comments This sounds fun, thanks for organizing a give-away!

So, we're only allowed to make guesses for the adult full-length novel, not the YA/children's category, and not for the shorter categories, right?

I predict:
- Gideon the Ninth
- The City in the Middle of the Night
- The Rage of Dragons
- The Future of Another Timeline
- Gods of Jade and Shadow
- A Memory Called Empire

Fun fact: I haven't read ANY of these yet so these are just wild guesses. :-D

message 6: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Kalin wrote: "Was the thread name a typo? (2019) I know Nebula can be wonky with its dates sometimes..."

They usually used the year the works were published, but now, as I checked the site they use 2020, so I edit topic's title, thanks

Cordelia wrote: "When we want to add or make changes, do we make a new post or edit the previous one?"

Edit the previous one and then post a short new post saying "I edited my list" or something similar

message 7: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Eva wrote: "So, we're only allowed to make guesses for the adult full-length novel, not the YA/children's category, and not for the shorter categories, right?."

Yes, only adult novels became otherwise it can become too hard to manage and judge (does a correctly guessed short story weight like a novel or not, etc)

message 8: by Eva (last edited Jan 24, 2020 10:18PM) (new)

Eva | 0 comments Already edited my list: I had forgotten that Rage of Dragons came out in 2019.

message 9: by Antti (last edited Jan 26, 2020 03:17AM) (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 801 comments Let's see.
- Middlegame by Seanan McGuire (I'm reading this right now, and it feels very Nebula-y).
- A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (Haven't read, but it was hyped)
- Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir (So much hype. I'm betting it doesn't matter that the book was meh at best)
- A Song for a New Day by Sarah Pinsker (A new book by an SFWA board member = auto-nomination)
- The Future of Another Timeline by Annalee Newitz (haven't read, but I understood it's got the right politics to be nominated)
- The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow (haven't read, but the author is up-and-coming and the story is about the magical properties of books, which should appeal to writers)

message 10: by Eva (new)

Eva | 0 comments Wtf - board members and even their president are eligible?? How does that make any sense, how do they avoid nepotism, or people voting for board members so that board members will vote for them in the future?

message 11: by Silvana (last edited Feb 02, 2020 04:22AM) (new)

message 12: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 546 comments LOL, Antti! Your explanations do sound quite frustrated.
(I have no experience with Nebula so far, so I have no idea what kind of books are favoured by the jury)

message 13: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 57 comments Are books in translation eligible?

message 14: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Cordelia wrote: "Are books in translation eligible?"

Not sure. they are definitely eligible for Hugo (see The Three-Body Problem as an example) but Nebula it seems only for original English works. You can check here: https://www.sfwa.org/forum/reading/1-...

message 15: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 57 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Cordelia wrote: "Are books in translation eligible?"

Not sure. they are definitely eligible for Hugo (see The Three-Body Problem as an example) but Nebula it seems only for origina..."

I'm not sure either. It said "first published in English in USA, in the year of the award". Sounds like an American Award.

But The Three-Body Problem was nominated for a Nebula also.

I went through the list of book on the link you gave me - couldn't see any translated books. So, who knows. Maybe, maybe not.

message 16: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 57 comments I edited my list - added a book

message 17: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 801 comments Gabi wrote: "LOL, Antti! Your explanations do sound quite frustrated.
(I have no experience with Nebula so far, so I have no idea what kind of books are favoured by the jury)"

I've grown pretty disenchanted with the Nebulas. I've been trying to come up with a word that's a bit more polite than "circlejerk" to describe the Nebula nomination process, but my English fails me.

message 18: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

From two years of reading Nebulas there are a few observations:

1. These works are more literary and less pulp
2. Quite a few are not very popular based on availability of audiobooks (as audiobook market grew exponentially, a lot of older books were put on audio)
3. More new authors (in Hugo established authors have huge fandoms that back them)
4. More 'daring' prose, experiments in writing

message 19: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Jan 25, 2020 06:28AM) (new)

Eva wrote: "Wtf - board members and even their president are eligible?? How does that make any sense, how do they avoid nepotism, or people voting for board members so that board members will vote for them in ..."

I think Jane Yolen is another example of that.

BTW, since I am a mod, I disqualify myself from winning.

message 20: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Kateblue wrote: "BTW, since I am a mod, I disqualify myself from winning."

While it is hard for us to affect the final Nebula nominee list, there is no need for a disqualification I guess. I voluntary concede my right for the prize but will post the list

message 21: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (last edited Feb 17, 2020 01:54AM) (new)

I guess the following list has high chances
The Future of Another Timeline by Annalee Newitz - because it is well written and woke
Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir, first novel, daring mix of SF & fantasy, lesbian necromancers in space, hype
The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow
A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine first novel, hype
The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders, first novel, hype
The Lesson by Cadwell Turnbull first novel, one of only few books set on the Virgin Islands
Middlegame by Seanan McGuire

message 22: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I agree the Future of Another Timeline might get nominated. I have other time travel books that I have liked better. (view spoiler)

message 23: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Jan 25, 2020 09:39AM) (new)

Also, Z, Charlie Jane was Nebula-nominated for All the Birds in the Sky in 2017. So she's not a first timer. But I agree it might very well be nominated. I am continuing with it.

message 24: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Kateblue wrote: "Also, Z, Charlie Jane was Nebula-nominated for All the Birds in the Sky in 2017. So she's not a first timer. ."

Yep, I stay corrected.

message 25: by Kalin (last edited Jan 25, 2020 12:38PM) (new)

Kalin | 698 comments Kateblue wrote: "Also, Z, Charlie Jane was Nebula-nominated for All the Birds in the Sky in 2017. So she's not a first timer."

Nebula-winning!

Nebula voters seem to really like both Anders and Newitz.

message 26: by Cordelia (last edited Jan 25, 2020 01:40PM) (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 57 comments I read the rules again. I'm pretty sure that translated works are eligible, as long as the English translation was published in US in 2019.

I have added another book

message 27: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 801 comments I added my sixth book: my list is ready.

message 28: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 57 comments edited list - added another book

message 29: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 57 comments I added another book to my list

message 30: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Feb 16, 2020 11:49AM) (new)

Novels

The Ten Thousand Doors of January
Gideon the Ninth
Middlegame (Everyone says she's trying to get a nomination with this book)

I am hampered by the requirement that to nominate a book I must have read it already. But I am including some that I am reading now. (I started them because I wanted to know if I wanted to read them and now I want to read them all right now)

A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World 2%
Storm of Locusts 5%
Ninth House 8%
and maybe Velocity Weapon 12%

I am going to read more of these over the next couple of days and see which I really think are Nebula-likely. All four of them may be too coherent for Nebula nominees. And they seem to really like Charlie Jane, so I may abandon all of these for The City in the Middle of the Night

Novellas--the one I really loved is Sisters of the Vast Black but it might be too straightforward a story for the Nebula--so it's a definite for my Hugo list

Longer (in memorium)
This Is How You Lose the Time War
The Deep
Desdemona and the Deep (beautiful descriptions)
Vigilance
and--because I found it amazingly confusing--The Border Keeper

Yes, I have selected most of these novellas because I didn't like them. Yep. They were unique and weird and I think they will be nominated.

message 31: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

P.S. I am taking myself out of the prize competition because I am a mod. But hey, I can still play!

message 32: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Kateblue wrote: "P.S. I am taking myself out of the prize competition because I am a mod. But hey, I can still play!"

Yep, definitely you can!

I agree on novellas list, at least for ones I've read, there are high chances of being nominated for
The Deep
This Is How You Lose the Time War
Vigilance

message 33: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 698 comments My guess:

Alix E. Harrow - The Ten Thousand Doors of January
Annalee Newitz - The Future of Another Timeline
Charlie Jane Anders - The City in the Middle of the Night
Leigh Bardugo - Ninth House
Seanan McGuire - Middlegame
Rebecca Roanhorse - Storm of Locusts

message 35: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

https://nebulas.sfwa.org/2019-nebula-...

Nebula Award Finalists Announced

February 20, 2020

The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA, Inc.) is pleased to announce the finalists for the 55th Annual Nebula Awards, including the Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation, and the Andre Norton Award for Outstanding Young Adult Science Fiction or Fantasy Book. The awards will be presented in Woodland Hills, CA at the Warner Center Marriott during a ceremony on the evening of May 30th.

2019 Nebula Award Finalists

Novel

Marque of Caine, Charles E. Gannon (Baen)

The Ten Thousand Doors of January, Alix E. Harrow (Redhook; Orbit UK)

A Memory Called Empire, Arkady Martine (Tor)

Gods of Jade and Shadow, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey; Jo Fletcher)

Gideon the Ninth, Tamsyn Muir (Tor.com Publishing)

A Song for a New Day, Sarah Pinsker (Berkley)

Novella

“Anxiety Is the Dizziness of Freedom”, Ted Chiang (Exhalation)

The Haunting of Tram Car 015, P. Djèlí Clark (Tor.com Publishing)

This Is How You Lose the Time War, Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone (Saga)

Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water, Vylar Kaftan (Tor.com Publishing)

The Deep, Rivers Solomon, with Daveed Diggs, William Hutson & Jonathan Snipes (Saga)

Catfish Lullaby, A.C. Wise (Broken Eye)

Novelette

“A Strange Uncertain Light”, G.V. Anderson (F&SF 7-8/19)

“For He Can Creep”, Siobhan Carroll (Tor.com 7/10/19)

“His Footsteps, Through Darkness and Light”, Mimi Mondal (Tor.com 1/23/19)

“The Blur in the Corner of Your Eye”, Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny 7-8/19)

Carpe Glitter, Cat Rambo (Meerkat)

“The Archronology of Love”, Caroline M. Yoachim (Lightspeed 4/19)

Short Story

“Give the Family My Love”, A.T. Greenblatt (Clarkesworld 2/19)

“The Dead, In Their Uncontrollable Power”, Karen Osborne (Uncanny 3-4/19)

“And Now His Lordship Is Laughing”, Shiv Ramdas (Strange Horizons 9/9/19)

“Ten Excerpts from an Annotated Bibliography on the Cannibal Women of Ratnabar Island”, Nibedita Sen (Nightmare 5/19)

“A Catalog of Storms”, Fran Wilde (Uncanny 1-2/19)

“How the Trick Is Done”, A.C. Wise (Uncanny 7-8/19)

The Andre Norton Award for Outstanding Young Adult Science Fiction or Fantasy Book

Sal and Gabi Break the Universe, Carlos Hernandez (Disney Hyperion)

Catfishing on CatNet, Naomi Kritzer (Tor Teen)

Dragon Pearl, Yoon Ha Lee (Disney Hyperion)

Peasprout Chen: Battle of Champions, Henry Lien (Holt)

Cog, Greg van Eekhout (Harper)

Riverland, Fran Wilde (Amulet)

Game Writing

Outer Wilds, Kelsey Beachum (Mobius Digital)

The Outer Worlds, Leonard Boyarsky, Megan Starks, Kate Dollarhyde, Chris L’Etoile (Obsidian Entertainment)

The Magician’s Workshop, Kate Heartfield (Choice of Games)

Disco Elysium, Robert Kurvitz (ZA/UM)

Fate Accessibility Toolkit, Elsa Sjunneson-Henry (Evil Hat Productions)

The Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation

Avengers: Endgame, Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely (Marvel Studios)

Captain Marvel, Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck & Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Marvel Studios)

Good Omens: “Hard Times”, Neil Gaiman (Amazon Studios/BBC Studios)

The Mandalorian: “The Child”, Jon Favreau (Disney+)

Russian Doll: “The Way Out”, Allison Silverman and Leslye Headland (Netflix)

Watchmen: “A God Walks into Abar”, Jeff Jensen & Damon Lindelof (HBO)

The Nebula Awards will be presented during the annual SFWA Nebula Conference, which will run from May 28th-31st, 2020 at the Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills and features programming developed and geared toward SFF professionals. The Awards Ceremony will be held on the evening of May 30th. On May 31st, a mass autograph session will take place, which is free and open to the public.

The Nebula Awards, presented annually, recognize the best works of science fiction and fantasy published in the previous year. They are selected by members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. The first Nebula Awards were presented in 1966.

The Nebula Awards include four fiction awards, a game writing award, the Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation, and the Andre Norton Award for Outstanding Young Adult Science Fiction or Fantasy Book. SFWA also administers the Kate Wilhelm Solstice Awards, the Kevin O’Donnell, Jr. Service to SFWA Award, and the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award.

The Nebula Finalist Assistance Fund exists to help defray the costs of travel to the Nebula Conference for Nebula Award finalists (including Norton, Bradbury, and Game Writing finalists) who would otherwise be unable to attend. Donations may be made at: www.sfwa.org/donate — choose Nebula Finalist Assistance in the drop down menu.

For more information, please email pr@sfwa.org.

message 36: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 173 comments Woof, Gods of Jade and Shadow was so mediocre. I mean, it was fine, but...really? It’s the only one of the five novels I’ve read. Has anyone here even heard of Marque of Cain? That seems to have come out of nowhere.

message 37: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 546 comments ^^' ... I've read Gideon the Ninth, A Memory Called Empire, Gods of Jade and Shadow and The Ten Thousand Doors of January

and the only one where I didn't skim or turn the speed up to get it over with was the Ten Thousand Doors.

message 38: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 801 comments Hah, Song for a New Day WAS nominated, just like I predicted! SFWA Board Members' novels are always nominated, no matter whether anyone has read them or not!

message 39: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 546 comments Antti wrote: "Hah, Song for a New Day WAS nominated, just like I predicted! SFWA Board Members' novels are always nominated, no matter whether anyone has read them or not!"

LOL! Yes, I was instantly thinking of you when I read her name.

message 40: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Feb 20, 2020 10:56AM) (new)

Here are the links for the free stories nominated for the Nebula award. (Thanks to a friend in another group)

⚫ NOVELETTES⚫

“For He Can Creep” - Siobhan Carroll
https://www.tor.com/2019/07/10/for-he...

“His Footsteps, Through Darkness and Light” - Mimi Mondal
https://www.tor.com/2019/01/23/his-fo...

“The Blur in the Corner of Your Eye” - Sarah Pinsker
https://uncannymagazine.com/article/t...

“The Archronology of Love” - Caroline M. Yoachim
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fic...

“A Strange Uncertain Light” - G.V. Anderson - Not (yet?) available for free

"Carpe Glitter", Cat Rambo - Not available for free

⚫SHORT STORIES⚫

“Give the Family My Love” - A.T. Greenblatt
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/green...

“The Dead, In Their Uncontrollable Power” - Karen Osborne
https://uncannymagazine.com/article/t...

“And Now His Lordship Is Laughing” - Shiv Ramdas
http://strangehorizons.com/fiction/an...

“Ten Excerpts from an Annotated Bibliography on the Cannibal Women of Ratnabar Island” - Nibedita Sen
http://www.nightmare-magazine.com/fic...

“A Catalog of Storms” - Fran Wilde
https://uncannymagazine.com/article/a...

“How the Trick Is Done” - A.C. Wise
https://uncannymagazine.com/article/h...

message 41: by Gabi (last edited Feb 20, 2020 10:53AM) (new)

Gabi | 546 comments Thanks, Kateblue, that's great!

ETA: has anyone read Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water? The title is so utterly beautiful that I feel myself drawn towards it.

message 42: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Anthony wrote: " Has anyone here even heard of Marque of Cain? That seems to have co..."

I've read the first three books of the series: the first one was also nominated for Nebula and it was good the next two were clearly on a downward thread for me

message 43: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

When I first put them up, there was a mistake (made by me) for one of them. I fixed it. I think it was “The Dead, In Their Uncontrollable Power”

Oops!

message 44: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (last edited Feb 20, 2020 11:07AM) (new)

Antti wrote: "Hah, Song for a New Day WAS nominated, just like I predicted! SFWA Board Members' novels are always nominated, no matter whether anyone has read them or not!"

Yes, but I for one liked Sarah Pinsker's shorter works which were nominated in the previous years each year (!) from 2013 to 2019, she is definitely not out of the blue.

Reminded me of a Soviet joke:

from 1982 to 1985 three General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union has died, the last was Chernenko.
A citizen came to Chernenko’s funeral.
- your ticket! - guard demands from him.
- I have a subscription to these performances!

So, she has a subscription for Nebulas

message 45: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Kateblue wrote: "Here are the links for the free stories nominated for the Nebula award."

Thanks Kate! From the list of short stories I've read

“Give the Family My Love”, A.T. Greenblatt (Clarkesworld 2/19)
“The Dead, In Their Uncontrollable Power”, Karen Osborne (Uncanny 3-4/19)
A Catalog of Storms”, Fran Wilde (Uncanny 1-2/19)
“How the Trick Is Done”, A.C. Wise (Uncanny 7-8/19)

From these I liked "How the Trick Is Done" the most.

message 46: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

So, let's see the success rates of our members:

Cordelia 0/5
Eva 3/6
Antti 4/6
Silvana 3/6
Oleksandr 2/6
Kate 2/3
Kalin 1/6
Anthony 2/6

The winner is Antti! Congrats!

message 47: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 546 comments Woohoo! Antti!

message 48: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 690 comments Is it too late for me to play?

message 49: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Ed wrote: "Is it too late for me to play?"

To guess what has been already announced? I guess so :) But don't despair, I think we'll have a similar Guess Hugo nominees and win

message 50: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 698 comments It's kind of depressing that Antti won by being as cynical as possible about the options, lol.

« previous 1