The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

Other Prizes > The Believer Book Awards

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ang (new)

Ang | 1685 comments Here's a prize I have just learned about.

Each year, the editors of The Believer give out awards to the works of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry they found to be the best written and most underappreciated. Below are the longlists of nominees for each category. The short lists and winners will be announced in our April/May issue, and the winners will join us for the 2020 Believer Festival in Las Vegas.

The 2020 longlist:
https://believermag.com/logger/the-be...

There is some overlap with other prize mentions today.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10022 comments Interesting list.

And yes Animalia does seem to have missed out on prize attention - bizarre it wasn't on last year's MBI ... until today!

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1713 comments Thanks Ang.

message 4: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 1018 comments Mod
This is a very nice list of books. Thanks for the heads up!

message 5: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5930 comments I’m happy to learn that this magazine exists. Lots of indie presses on here!

message 6: by Nadine in California (last edited Jan 25, 2020 07:19PM) (new)

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 242 comments WndyJW wrote: "I’m happy to learn that this magazine exists. Lots of indie presses on here!"

Nick Hornby wrote a column in The Believer called "Stuff I've Been Reading", and they're collected in Ten Years in the Tub: A Decade Soaking in Great Books. Discursive book reviews as only Nick Hornby can deliver. I read it over the course of 9 months, only while brushing my teeth. A great mental and dental decision ;)

message 7: by Ella (new)

Nadine wrote: "WndyJW wrote: "I’m happy to learn that this magazine exists. Lots of indie presses on here!"

Nick Hornby wrote a column in The Believer called "Stuff I've Been Reading", and they're collected in [..."

That's one of my favorite books! I owned a few of the individual issues, but when I was cleaning my shelves a few years ago, starting the grand-neverending-library-project that is still happening in what used to be my master bedroom, I decided to get rid of the individual volumes & buy the collection. Much less shelf space & gosh he is awesome when writing about books & music.

message 8: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5930 comments You read a book only while brushing your teeth? Do you brush more than twice a day? This is so funny to me! What made you choose toothbrushing as the time to read that book? I admire the lack of even one wasted minute!

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6587 comments I assumed everyone read while cleaning their teeth - what else would you do with that spare time? Its like reading while walking.

message 10: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 198 comments I had a subscription to The Believer when it was in journal form and I really enjoyed it (Nick Hornby's reviews were also a favorite of mine). I lost track of it and forgot or didn't know it existed online. I still subscribe to McSweeney's and it looks like it might be time to add The Believer back in to my life.

message 11: by Nadine in California (last edited Jan 26, 2020 09:19AM) (new)

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 242 comments WndyJW wrote: "You read a book only while brushing your teeth? Do you brush more than twice a day? This is so funny to me! What made you choose toothbrushing as the time to read that book? I admire the lack of ev..."

Like GY, I can't imagine not filling those empty minutes with some mental stimulation. Some books work better than others - Infinite Jest no, this book, yes. I could get through most or all of a short review in the two-ish minutes set by my electric toothbrush. It was a little shot of fun to start and end the day, and it stretched out an entertaining book into a 9 month read.

I haven't done it since I discovered podcasts, which are also amenable to toothbrush time.

message 12: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5930 comments I just turned off my Facebook acct because since the horror of Trump’s election I was on it far too much, I’ve focused my Twitter acct to be more book focused than politics focused so that saves time, now with the added minutes of reading while brushing my teeth I expect to read twice as many books this year!

message 13: by Ella (new)

Audio books are wonderful for shower time!

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1713 comments Ella wrote: "Audio books are wonderful for shower time!"

Yes, but it is hard to shampoo with the headphones on.

message 15: by Ella (last edited Feb 04, 2020 11:21AM) (new)

:-D

I had to rethink my shower situation - the woman who lives above me apparently did NOT like hearing audiobooks at 4am, but it turns out people at work do not care one bit! So I turn up the speaker loud and shower away at work now.