Literally Dead Book Club discussion

general > Favorite books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nikoleta (new)

Nikoleta (nikoletakallipoliti) | 13 comments What are some of your favorite books and why did you like them so much? I personally like fantasy books in general and since I am still finding my taste in books, I like the very hyped up books quite easily! The Dark Heroine is my favorite book since 2016 when I first read it and it holds up for me. It is also the only book I have reread over 4 times and I am absolutely devistated that the series was cut short after the 2nd book. Dinner with a Vampire

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7 comments Oh, this could be a dangerous topic for the TBR lists... :D

I would say my favourite fantasy series at the moment is the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab. Such a great magic system and worldbuilding. I also really loved The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.

On a totally different genre, The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey - I just love anything written about sharks, I guess. :D

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 27 comments I'm only just getting back into reading and still trying to find my taste in books, but I'm naturally drawn to horror and mystery thriller!

I've heard great things about the Shades of Magic series, Carolyn! It's definitely on my TBR

Not sure the reason why but I think Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorites, also anything written by Paul Tremblay or Peter Swanson :)

Cody | CodysBookshelf (codylovesbooks) | 4 comments I love long coming-of-age novels, ones that let me follow a person’s entire life. That’s why I love John Irving, especially A Prayer for Owen Meany. Some of my other favorite books include:

Little Fires Everywhere, Celeste Ng
David Copperfield, Charles Dickens
Lisey’s Story, Stephen King
Blonde, Joyce Carol Oates
As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner
Boy’s Life, Robert McCammon
Nineteen Minutes, Jodi Picoult

message 5: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leigholive) | 23 comments I have a list of favourite books, though I'm not entirely sure why they are my list of favourites. The only thing I can say for sure is I love books that drag on, leave me wanting more or sum it up perfectly. Some of my favourite are:

The Chalk Man - CJ Tudor
Wayward Children Series
This is how it Always Is - Laurie Frankel
Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
The Outsiders - S.E Hinton
Sadie - Courtney Summers
My Lovely Wife - Samantha Downing

I also enjoy Roxane Gay's books :)

message 6: by Juani (new)

Juani (ani2202) Some favorites of mine are the following:

Kings of the Wyld and Bloody Rose, by Nicholas Eames
The Six of Crows duology
Charlaine Harris and all her series
Jo Stone,Lisa Jewell and Peter Swanson do great mysteries

message 7: by Adele (new)

Adele (dellaroo) | 4 comments Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
Other Words for Smoke by Sarah Maria Griffin
Wilder Girls by Rory Power
Lost Boy by Christina Henry

message 8: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (foxyfox28) | 14 comments I've never heard anyone talk about it before but The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. There isn't enough senior protagonists in the book world.

message 9: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Vick-Watson | 3 comments My favorite books to read are mystery/thriller/suspense novels but my favorite books usually don’t fit into that category 🙈 some of my favorites are:

Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson
How to Walk Away by Katherine Center
The Swallows by Lisa Lutz

Like I said, just a few of my favorites, but there are so many good ones!

message 10: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Selph (savyselph) | 6 comments For various reasons:

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Dandelion Wine - RB
The Outsiders - S E Hinton
Ind Aff - Fay Weldon (short story but changed my life)
Night - Elie Weisel

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana | 2 comments A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin because, despite all it's adult violence and politics and such, it gives me a weird sense of nostalgia and reminds me of why I love to read;
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith because it's one of the weirdest books I’ve ever read, has many quotable lines, and just struck an emotional chord in me due to the time of life I read it;
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood because I’ve read it three times with the express purpose of eventually writing a paper on it and realized somewhere along the way that I love it both in spite of and because of its brilliance;
The Secret History by Donna Tartt because it strikes a balance between being genuinely terrifying with its characters' believably awful behavior and perfectly self-aware that these characters are exaggerated and funny to watch in their melodramatics.

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) | 6 comments My all time favorite is The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

message 13: by Nikoleta (new)

Nikoleta (nikoletakallipoliti) | 13 comments I am intestested to read V.E. Schwab for sure! And since you guys recommented a darker shade of magic, I am planning to read it sooner than later!

message 14: by Samuel (new)

Samuel (libraryosouls) | 20 comments I dont really know what I like tbh but my favourite books are:
- a man called ove by fredrik blackman. it's so beautifully written. its funny and so sad at the same time. I love grumpy old men (Britt-Marie by the same author cause shes Ove but a grumpy old woman instead)
- The storied life of A.J Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin. for the same reason as the first
- The humans by Matt Haig. it's a really good sci-fi but a more heartfelt than just pure science. it's not that action-based either with fits me well lol
- not that bad by Roxane Gay
- Educated by Tara Westover

I have a lot of 5 stars that have impacted me a lot but these are the ones at the very top i guess

message 15: by Darby (new)

Darby Degroat | 6 comments This is a bit hard ... when I started to enjoy reading as I teen I love ever book write by Francesca Lia Block, however when I think back 17 years ago A Brave New World really standout me as the first true loved. Current day me just got back into read within the last 4 years... geez my favorite eh... I have to go with the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

message 16: by jazzy (new)

jazzy w (jwilliams004) | 1 comments Looking for Alaska by John Green OBSESSED!!

tinalouisereadsbooks I have a lot of favourites. My overall favourite is Rebecca. One of my top five from last year was No Exit by Taylor Adams.

message 18: by Petra (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:34AM) (new)

Petra | 6 comments I have so much favorite books I even made an all-time-favorite shelf on goodreads and it has 160 so I'll try to choose only absolute favorites out of that:

- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- Villains by V.E.Schwab
- Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta
- Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
- The Queens Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- Runemarks by Joanne Harris
- Gentleman Bastard by Scott Lynch
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis
- The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
- Cruel Prince by Holly Black

message 19: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Hi! My absolute favorite book of all time is hands down The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It’s a phenomenal novel I highly recommend all of his books :)

message 20: by Denice (new)

Denice (denicereads) | 2 comments The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is my absolute favorite. I don't think I will ever read anything that's gonna top that. I also love the Shades of magic trilogy by V.E Schwab.

Some other books that I love are:
- World War Z by Max Brooks
- Good Samaritans by Will Carver
- The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
- Cujo by Stephen King
- All the Light We Cannot see by Anthony Doerr
- The Raven's Mark trilogy by Ed McDonald
- The Stand by Stephen King

message 21: by eeevan (new)

eeevan | 3 comments a little life and the secret history ☺️

message 22: by Sam (last edited Jan 26, 2020 11:59PM) (new)

Sam  (sam222) | 3 comments My favorite types of books are Horror and psychological thrillers, especially Isolation and with a dark game element to them.

My favorite books are The Troop by Nick Cutter , Misery by Stephen King , The Outsider by Stephen King

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine | 31 comments My absolute favorite book of all time will always be Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. I love all of her books. Romance is not my genre but I feel like no one can write like her. My favorite thriller book is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and love her other 2 books. I hear she is writing another book this year. I am hoping.

message 24: by Stella❤️ (new)

Stella❤️ 孔凡星 (stella_conway6) My favourite book of 2019 was Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman. It's a hard-hitting, YA contemporary about a biracial artist. This author and book are so underhyped so if y'all are interested, I would definitely check it out!

message 25: by Nikoleta (new)

Nikoleta (nikoletakallipoliti) | 13 comments Outsider is in my radar for sure, it sounds like the only book that I would reas from Stephen King in the next decade xD

message 26: by GabbyGetsReading (new)

GabbyGetsReading (gabby_giggles) | 7 comments My favorite book either has to be "Our endless numbered days" by claire fuller or "girl made of stars"!

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary (marybeougherauthor) | 5 comments I love Margaret Atwood. I can never decide if Handmaid’s Tale duology or Oryx and Crake trilogy are my favorites.

Also anything Jacqueline Carey, Grady Hendrix, Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant, Sara Douglass... lots of others, lol.

Emma ( Mrsbreads )  | 8 comments My favourite book of all time is the alchemist by paulo cohelo it’s just perfection.
Another book I loved last year was then she’d was gone by Lisa jewel .

message 29: by Alex (new)

Alex (alex-mewmew) | 3 comments it's too hard to pick just one!!
-"the beast is an animal" (peternelle van arsdale)
-"the underneath" (kathi appelt)
-"wilder girls" (rory power)

message 30: by Josh (last edited Jan 28, 2020 07:30AM) (new)

Josh Hedgepeth (jjosh_h) | 6 comments For me, it's Kindred, by Octavia Butler followed by 11/22/63 by Stephen King followed by IT by Stephen King.

message 31: by Brittany (last edited Jan 29, 2020 09:01PM) (new)

Brittany (bizzbooks) | 5 comments I have so many!! I'll put three here!
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Perfect Nightmare by John Saul Circe by Madeline Miller
-For some reason, I love book-burning books...... Fahrenheit 451 is my absolute favorite book ever.. I love Ray Bradbury
-John Saul was the first thriller twisty person I really read, and I love him
-Circe is one of the best books ever PLUS it has an amazing amazing audiobook!! I love fantasy & I love mythology

message 32: by Israa (new)

Israa (goldentwest) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak!!!!!

message 33: by Ina (new)

Ina (snegle) | 2 comments Here’s my favorite books from 2019, in no particular order:
- The Troop by Nick Cutter
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Wilder Girls by Rory Power
- The Year We Fell From Space by A.S. King
- The Martian by Andy Weir
- Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake
- Doing Harm by Maya Dusenbery
- Elevation by Stephen King
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling
- Middlegame by Seanan McGuire
- Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter
- The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
- Love From A to Z by S.K. Ali
- Working Stiff by Judy Melinek, M.D. and T.J. Mitchell

I read absolutely everything I can get my hands on, but I prefer books with isolation and body horror as major factors for the plot (probably because it hits close to home). If you have any book recommendations that fit my preference I’d love to hear them!

message 35: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (capricas) | 9 comments For some reason, it's so hard for me to narrow down favorite books. It's not enough to be a five-star read, they have to really stick with you, you know? Definitive favorites are:

-The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater
-the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo
-Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
-The Secret History by Donna Tartt

And childhood faves:
-The Books of Bayern series by Shannon Hale
-The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
-The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

message 36: by Solajma (new)

Solajma | 1 comments One of the best books I have ever read is :"Trust your eyes" by Linwood Barclay

message 37: by Nikoleta (new)

Nikoleta (nikoletakallipoliti) | 13 comments I am the kind of person that either loves books or hates them, it is hard to be inbetween. So, I have so many five star reads that felt like five stars when I read them, I still won't change them to four stars until I reread them. So my faves usually stand out as tge one that still feel like five stars in my heart. Or when they have something special that I always think about.

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan (edgeofstories) My absolute favorite book of all time is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. It’s just so good. I read it in high school for the first time, and I’ve read it at least 4 times since then.
My other faves are The God of Small Things, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and Red, White & Royal Blue.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

My favourite genre is fantasy but I only recently started reading in the adult age range.
Some of my favourites are
•The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet by Beckey Chambers
•The Raven Cycle By Maggie Stiefvater
•The Shades of Magic Series by V.E Schwab
And my childhood favourite is The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riorden

message 40: by Camila (last edited Feb 05, 2020 05:27AM) (new)

Camila Dominguez (jaeldaiker) | 1 comments Favourite books for me are about books I like to re-read as much as possible, so I guess I have to say -The Perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Which I literally re-read at least once a year. I think the reason I like it so much is because it feels like talking to an old friend, the format in which it's written helps that on so many ways. And the frienships, the story in general it's so good and I love it.
Also the Harry Potter saga... which has been in my life since I was 10, love the characters, the world, the magic, etc.

message 41: by Skyler (new)

Skyler Johnson | 2 comments I absolutely adore YA and fantasy. I love any Rick Riordan book, but my all time favorite is I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson.

message 42: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (literarynessie) | 24 comments 2017-2018 was me kind of discovering my reading tastes. 2019 was the year that solidified my love for speculative fiction.

The Nevernight Chronicles by Jay Kristoff
The Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire
Vicious by V.E. Schwab
The Red Rising Saga by Pierce Brown
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells
The Black God’s Drums by P. Djeli Clark

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (lastblues13) | 3 comments I used to read a ton of YA, but in 2018 I basically dropped the genre and now I read adult. Mostly 20th century stuff. Right now, my favorite books list looks like:

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

message 44: by Gisela (new)

Gisela I used to read a lot when I was little, but as I grew up I stopped. Late last year I discovered my love for books and reading. That being said, I am pretty new to every genre. I am trying to discover what I like and what I don't. Since my reading journey started I find myself drawn to thrillers and YA. My favorite books so far are The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid and The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, and the Arc of a Scythe Series by Neal Shusterman.

message 45: by Gail (new)

Gail | 2 comments Favourite book of all time is :
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

Favourite books of last 12 months:
10 Minutes & 38 Seconds in this Strange World - Elif Shafak
The Librarian of Auschwitz - Antonio Iturbe

message 46: by Dave (new)

Dave Leroux | 4 comments I have two so far as I have recently fallen back into reading.

Penpal by Dathan Aurbach

and

The Troop by Nick Cutter

the creepy horror/thriller vibe is awesome in these books. And I found I really enjoyed the writing styles.

message 47: by latham (new)

latham (latham1) pet semetary, the most fulfilling and unsettling commentary on life and death I've read.
the haunting of hill house cause I felt like I was the main character and that's never happened to me before.
white oleander, very specific time for me and a really beautifully written and emotionally understood story.
and everything i never told u. love family saga shit, love how detailed Celeste ng went into those characters.

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Kyle | 3 comments It's SO hard to narrow this answer down to one book. I've loved so many, and am still moved by memories they bring. So I'll squeeze it down to 5:

Trinity by Leon Uris
Shogun by James Clavell
Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Possession by A.S. Byatt
Atonement by Ian McEwan

Each one grips you with aspects of the thriller genre, and then transcends it.

message 49: by SnazzyMoose (new)

SnazzyMoose (Lauren) | 6 comments My favorite book is Bird Box. I loved the suspense and never knowing what the creatures were. It was just an unnerving experience. I especially enjoyed listening to this one on audiobook. The narrator did a good job expressing the stress as the story continued. Some of my other favorite books are: IT, The Shining, Dolores Claiborne, The Newsflesh Trilogy, and The Daevabad Trilogy. Oh, there’s so many!

message 50: by Tisa (new)

Tisa Tollenaar (lisasolarstar) | 5 comments My ultimate hands-down favorite is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Despite having been a huge bookworm in school, it's probably the only book that was an assigned read that I genuinely enjoyed. I haven't read it in about a decade, so I should give it a reread soon to see where my current tastes would put it. But I still think it's a well-written and well-thought out book.

A recent favorite is A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman. I had never read a book that made me cry until that one.

Going way back in time to middle grade, I remember really enjoying Hatchet by Brian Paulsen. That one probably also deserves a reread.

« previous 1