Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

The Quiet American
This topic is about The Quiet American
1001 Monthly Group Read > January {2020} Discussion -- THE QUIET AMERICAN by Graham Greene

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean (fordest) | 824 comments Mod
Hi. I just thought I would toss up a reminder. Feel free to delete this one when the official one comes online. Or let us know and we can discuss here.

:)

Hanneke | 15 comments Started 'The Quiet American' and I am just astonished how excellent the book is. Truly a masterpiece. Almost finished.

Tiffany | 33 comments Started the book today and already almost done. I had a good day off with a good book :)

message 4: by Sean (last edited Jan 27, 2020 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean (fordest) | 824 comments Mod
It took me a little while to get into this one. But I ended up liking it very much. I loved the story. I thought it was very well put together. I was only mildly surprised about the ending. (view spoiler)

One of the things that I loved about it besides the story is the history. Being an American, most of my knowledge of Vietnam comes from a decade or two later. I never really delved into what was happening before we got there. Even more interesting was realizing that it wasn't just set before the American/Vietnam war, it was actually written before it.

It was very interesting reading this as an American from a British point of view. The Anti-American undertones came through in a number of ways. And the real-life foreshadowing... the foreshadowing...

Hanneke | 15 comments Finished the book a few days ago and it is still lingering around in my mind. What an excellent book! I thought it is a masterpiece. Like I said in my review, it should have been a mandatory read for the American military before they decided to invade Vietnam.

Tiffany | 33 comments I've finished the book this morning, and wow! I thought it was a fine book until the big turn, and then, wow!

Sean was pondering some things up above, so here are my thoughts: (view spoiler)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 629 comments I finished this morning--I thought it was excellent, the best Greene I've read aside from The Power and the Glory.

I hadn't thought about it, but I've actually read a lot of Greene--eight now with this one, which include all of his so-called 'Catholic novels' (Power & Glory, End of the Affair, Heart of the Matter, and Brighton Rock), but I think a case could be made for A Quiet American as well--surely as much as or more than Brighton Rock. I'm sure that the Vietnam subject matter tends to overshadow the introspective elements to the story, but I really thought they were the heart of it. Or at least, the two subjects worked well together.

Anyway--I never what I'm going to get with Greene...some of his stuff I really like, and some of it I really can't get into. Really enjoyed this one though.