What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > novel where Mom forces protagonists brother to drink lighter oil

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessmckenz_) | 1 comments hi, i hope you can help me find this book. i read it about 3-5 years ago and i only remember one scene.
the main character (boy/girl?) was young and she used to always play with a lighter. i think she had a flashback some time in the book, and basically she was playing with the lighter and dropped it on the carpet in her home and set it on fire. when her mom found out she asked both her and her brother (brother was 5 years old?) who did it and the main character said the brother did it. the mom then made the brother drink the lighter oil as punishment and i think the boy died and i just have one scene in my head of the mom kneeling beside the carpet holding the dead brother in her arms.
thanks!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33304 comments Mod
Jessica, what's the genre or tone - e.g., older adults or teens, crime, horror, mystery, psychological thriller, angsty?

Can you describe the main character in the present time - e.g., her age, student/job/hobbies, marital status?

message 3: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1192 comments I think the writers of CSI Miami read the same book!

Episode 22, Season 8 "Mommie Deadest"
"Natalia finds that Bradley died when he was five years old after swallowing lighter fluid. Andrea tells Natalia that her mother made Bradley drink lighter fluid after she found a burn on the carpet—but that it was actually her who burned the carpet. She blames herself for her brother’s death, and tells Natalia that she has to look out for herself and Cody."
https://csi.fandom.com/wiki/Mommie_De...