Play Book Tag discussion

Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1)
This topic is about Sworn to Silence
January 2020: Thriller > (Poll Ballot Tally) Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4906 comments In the part-Amish community of Painter's Mill, Ohio, Kate Burkholder is the police chief, chosen because as a former Amish herself, she straddles the worlds of the Amish and the "English", as the non-Amish are called. When a serial killer resurfaces after 15 years of silence, Kate is afraid that secrets from her past will come out from the investigation. Already struggling with lack of manpower to handle the crime, she is nevertheless angered when the town council goes over her head and requests assistance from the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation and they send John Tomasetti, an agent with troubles of his own, and they must find a way to work together to find a nasty killer as the body count ratchets up.

This was a lot darker and much more violent than I was expecting, but it hits the ground running and proceeds at a smart pace, holding my attention throughout. The author doles out snippets of Kate's and John's past a little at a time, just enough to whet the reader's appetite for their background stories. The ending came a little fast, but not outrageously so, and the final showdown was dramatic but not overly gruesome. Though it took me awhile to warm up to Kate's character, by the end I decided I want to read more of this series.

Susie | 4488 comments I want more of it too! It will be good for us to rack up more Amish reads. I’m glad you liked it.