Jewish Book Club discussion

Spies of No Country: Secret Lives at the Birth of Israel
This topic is about Spies of No Country
2020 Moderator's Choices > Early Impressions of Spies of No Country, by Matti Friedman -- February 2020

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1473 comments Mod
Early thoughts and reactions to Spies of No Country go here. Assume that others posting here haven't finished either, so no spoilers, please.

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (goodreadscompamela_sampson) | 24 comments I have to sit this one out but hope to catch up with next month's book. Matti was formerly employed by the news agency I work for (The Associated Press) and kicked up a lot of dust while there, as I understand it :)

message 3: by Jan (new)

I guess he's still kicking up dust! See you next month, Pamela -- if not before!

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (goodreadscompamela_sampson) | 24 comments :)

message 5: by Jan (new)

Who's got this one so far? 🙂

message 6: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Kat | 13 comments Really great! I'm so grateful to whoever suggested this book, which I wouldn't have heard about otherwise. It captures the feel of time and place. I've zipped through the first half and am hoping there's more about the surviving men's life after the war.

Stacey B | 918 comments Mod
M- We are thrilled you are enjoying it.
Cant wait to read your review.
Do you feel it reads like a novel?

message 8: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Kat | 13 comments The book reads more like a collection of related short stories, a bit too fragmented to be a novel. That it ISN'T fiction and relies on primary sources but still manages to draw fully realized characters makes it far more interesting than any novel I can imagine.

Agreed!. I was curious , bc Matti Friedman said he felt it reads like a novel. I read it, and felt like each "story" was a chapter; in which each point ties the subject of the book together.
Nathen Ronen writes the same way.

message 10: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Kat | 13 comments Is there a Ronen book you'd recommend?

M wrote: "Is there a Ronen book you'd recommend?"

Hi. I actually confused the names by accident.
The following two books are specific in subject, different from Matti Friedman, but the first reads as a novel as well.
Ronen Bergman is the author I meant to say.
His book "Rise and Kill First..... is non-fiction, and excellent. I believe it won an award from Jewish Book Council.
The other one "To Kill a Shadow" by Nathan Ronen is fiction. Also excellent.

message 12: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M Kat | 13 comments thanks