Play Book Tag discussion

Misery
This topic is about Misery
January 2020: Thriller > Misery by Stephen King 5 stars (Poll Ballot)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 613 comments Who hasn't watched the movie Misery starring Cathy Bates and James Caan. I have watched it several times and just couldn't look away. So when the tag for the state of Maine came up at Stephen King, I had to read/listen to Misery. I searched everywhere for the audio book and I was not disappointed. I pictured the movie and Cathy Bates the entire time.

Author Robert Sheldon has met his biggest fan...Annie Wilkes. And boy did he ever meet here. Robert wrote a series of books featuring Misery Chastain and Annie just loved Misery. Annie rescued and "treated" Robert after a horrible car accident. Annie sort of wanted to keep the famous author all to herself....especially after she read the "last" Misery book. Annie didn't like the ending and Robert was forced to "write" a new book with a different ending. Annie is an interesting character to say the least.

Misery kept me going back for more to listen to. Even if you have read the physical book and liked it, I highly recommend listening to the audio.....wonderfully done.

One a side note: Stephen King is another one of those authors who I would like to know his back story or the thoughts in his head when he writes.

message 2: by LibraryCin (last edited Jan 23, 2020 07:41PM) (new) - added it

LibraryCin | 8342 comments Joni wrote: "One a side note: Stephen King is another one of those authors who I would like to know his back story or the thoughts in his head when he writes. ..."

It's been a while since I've read it, but I vaguely recall On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft being part biography, part writing advice. Can't recall how much he reveals about his own writing "process", but here's a bit from my review:

"Anyway, it was a really interesting book. The first 1/3 of it, was mostly King’s childhood and anecdotes about his writing, and in the last little bit, he talks about the accident when he was hit by a van – it happened while he was in the middle of writing this book. Even the parts about writing were interesting to me, even though I don’t write. He takes examples (good and bad) about what he’s talking about from many different authors, as well as from some of his own writing. And he’s funny! Very good book."

That one might give you a bit of insight. :-)