Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry: 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry, Fredrik Backman

★ ★ ★ ★

Ahhhh....

Elsa is a precocious 7 year old who is bullied at school because she is "different". Her best friend is her grandmother who is much of a tartar, but has a secret past.

Elsa's grandmother has a knack for telling fairy-tales to help Elsa get through tough times... After Elsa's grandmother's death, we learn that the people in the housing unit are actually the characters in the fairy tales. I found the fairy-tales to be overly long & boring, so I skipped most of them.

When Elsa's grandmother dies she leaves Elsa a task... To deliver a series of letters to those neighbors who live in the same building apologizing for past transgressions.

On the first floor there is: Wurse, a dog hidden away; The Monster; & The mother with the special boy. On the second floor is: Britt-Marie, her husband Kent; & The Drunk in the black skirt. On the third floor is Maud, her husband Lennart, & Alf. On the top floor is Elsa, her mother, step-father & Granny.

Also involved is Sam, the Cop "Green-Eyes", Marcel (Jack-of-all trades), Elsa's father & his wife.... all of whose lives are entwined w/ Grandmother's.

It was an amazing story of love, past sorrows, & redemption by the same author who wrote: "Britt-Marie Was Here".... and had I read this book first & known who Britt-Marie was; I'd not have read "Britt-Marie Was Here".

I couldn't put it down!

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8524 comments I just adored this one! So did Karin!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Amy wrote: "I just adored this one! So did Karin!"

Ok, not to be "missing" or anything: Who is Karin? You've mentioned her twice?

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8524 comments Um. She's in our group, pretty regular member. She hails locally to me, and has a fairly prolific musical background and Icelandic heritage. Funny, smart, very warm. Jade Dragons I believe. And we have bonded over many things, but one thing we have both bonded over was this particular book.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Amy wrote: "Um. She's in our group, pretty regular member. She hails locally to me, and has a fairly prolific musical background and Icelandic heritage. Funny, smart, very warm. Jade Dragons I believe. And we ..."

"Got it!"

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8524 comments And I owe her a return email! Karin, I am sorry. I was heartfelt moved, but to swamped to share that with you (yet). If happen to get a giggle out of this, than I have at least shared a trifle.