Pikes Peak Library District discussion

Discussion Questions > 2020 Literary Adventures

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin (sputnik42) | 1 comments Just found this group again and looks like it's been dormant for a while so I thought I would post a question and see if anyone out there is interested in engaging.

What are your literary goals this year? Did you set a Goodreads reading goal? Any good books on your to-read list that you're excited about?

I'm in the midst of reading Chernow's "Alexander Hamilton" which I started last year and am definitely going to finish at some point this year! I also just started "Ready Player One" and "The Underground Railroad". All are very enjoyable books so far!

message 2: by Cydney (new)

Cydney Eliza | 2 comments I’m trying to do one book a month (or more if I’m lucky). I have a lot of true crime books on my list for this year. Fiction doesn’t really do it for me. Right now I’m reading American Predator and it’s very good.

message 3: by Kel (new)

Kel | 6 comments I have beenpart of a reading froup on facebook, so I've already read over 15 books this month. Right now I'm reading the Diva series by Krista Davis and Sea of Stars. Very different genres, but I like to mix it up. I do want to read Hamilton this year. I love the music from the musical!

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Murphy | 5 comments I just finished The Accomplice, by Joseph Kanon. I've read most of his books. He is a wonderful author.

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Murphy | 5 comments I recently began reading Ross MacDonald, a great mystery writer who has been called “the hard-boiled successor to Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler.” He was prolific, but the book I started with is “The Chill.”

message 6: by Carol (last edited Feb 10, 2020 01:48PM) (new)

Carol | 6 comments It's great to see this group resurrected again! My favorite novel so far this year is, The Unseen World by Liz Moore. She is a very clever writer and I've downloaded her other 2 novels.

message 7: by Audrea (new)

Audrea (mrsaud) | 2 comments I've done the Goodreads challenge the last few years. My goal is always to read at least one book a week, and my bigger goal for this year is to read at least two non-fiction texts each month. I recently finished the The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See, and really enjoyed it.

The Island of Sea Women

message 8: by Cydney (new)

Cydney Eliza | 2 comments Wow. How do you guys read books so fast? I’m amazed by you skill.

message 9: by Audrea (new)

Audrea (mrsaud) | 2 comments Cydney wrote: "Wow. How do you guys read books so fast? I’m amazed by you skill."

I've always been a fast reader, but speed is unimportant. Find books you love and get lost in them. Don't compare your reading journey to others. Instead, enjoy it for the magical adventure it is.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Murphy | 5 comments Wow! I wish I could read one book a week. I tend to be a slow reader. It usually takes me two-to-three weeks to finish book of about 250-300 pages.

message 11: by Mckinley (new)

Mckinley | 1 comments I read a lot (1) and I also listen to books.

Which is only one reason I love PPLD for its access to books! Via Overdrive I listened to all sorts of things I might pass by such as Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence by Berenson given that we live in a state where it is legal. And I listened to The Island of Sea Women and enjoyed it a lot.

I also love Goodreads for its lists. I look up Mock Caldecotts then go to PPLD to get them.

message 12: by Tasha (new)

Tasha | 2 comments I am also a slower reader and due to my commute and small kids at home I don't get as much time to read a book. When I moved here and learned about OverDrive from a friend I was elated to be able to dive back into literature. I listen to all kinds of books and even radio publications in my car (around 630 hours M-F) and while I shop!