RAM Readers Spring 2020 discussion

9 views
The Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 24 comments Mod
Now Diary of Wimpy Kid is a series. Why do you think these books are so popular with young adolescents?


message 2: by Yao (new)

Yao Chen | 49 comments Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw——Jeff Kinney
• I know we may not read the same book. I think it is better to give a brief review of the book I read. It is about a boy, whose name is Greg Heffley, a middle school student, getting in trouble all the time. Then, his father really wants to do all different kinds of things to get the tag “troublemaker” from him. I read this book in one sitting. To be honest, it does not seem to attract me that much. I will say it is a nice book recommending to children. Greg has a sense of humor, but not everyone will appreciate that, especially for people so called “grown-ups”. He acts like other teenagers. For example, Greg has a crush on a girl. He works up all the never to leave a good impression to her. It turns out that he never fails to do some ridiculous things in front of her.
• If you ask me why this series books are so popular among young adolescents, I would like to share my opinions with you. Firstly, this book is easy to read with good contents and funny illustrations. Secondly, it encourages children to read, write, think and also enriches their imagination. For younger kids, parents can read to or with them. Thirdly, you can see friendship through the book. Rowley is Greg’s best friend. Greg always comes up with funny ideas like hole-jumping program, time capsule, take a ski lift to school, “chore coupon” book and so on. It can teach children how lucky they get someone like Rowley to be friends with them. Fourthly, compared to Harry Potter, which is all about a wizarding world. This book makes more connections with young adolescents’ lives. They can find a lot of things happening just in their real world. Last but not least, as a second language learners, I can also find western habits or culture points from the diary. (New Year’s Resolutions, showering in the morning, tattoo, the card exchange on Valentine’s Day, church culture, sports…)


message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Thomas | 46 comments Prior to reading the actual book, I had only seen the movies--thanks to my 11 year old daughter! Based on the movies, I figured I would like the books.....and I really did! I think there are so many things about these Wimpy Kid books that would directly appeal to young adolescents. First off, they are written in language that kids can easily understand. The tone is casual, and you could actually "hear" Greg saying every line. I always think it's important for kids (especially young adolescents) to be able to clearly understand the message of a book, and not have to wade through muddled or archaic language. Granted, there's definitely a time and a place for the more serious, "classic" novels, because we always want our students to challenge themselves. However, there's something to be said about a simple message being delivered simply!
Also, this book is funny! As an adult, I laughed out loud as I read. Humor is a great way to engage any student, but, especially, the struggling reader. Sometimes, as educators and parents, we have to find ways to encourage a "love for reading" in our adolescents---even if it means starting them off with books (like Wimpy Kid) that just make it seem easy to read. The challenging reads will follow; you just have to help our kiddos latch-on, initially.


message 4: by Yao (new)

Yao Chen | 49 comments Natalie wrote: "Prior to reading the actual book, I had only seen the movies--thanks to my 11 year old daughter! Based on the movies, I figured I would like the books.....and I really did! I think there are so man..."

Hi Natalie,

Well said. I see eye to eye with you on this point. It is really important for young kids to find a way reading for fun. This series of books are absolutely a good start. A book can play a role of children's guide and friend. I will say it is also good resources for second language learners.

Yao


message 5: by Bruna (new)

Bruna Alcaraz | 41 comments Diary of a Wimpy kid is a fever in my daughter’s school.
The third wheel was my book. Ana and I decided to read this book together. In the first moment, I felt a little bored because the story did not catch my attention. I wasn't concentrating at all. I was reading the book with my adult mind, my daughter still laughing and I ask myself: Why she is laughing? What is so funny?
I changed the bottom on my brain and I decided to read the book again with the eyes of a 9 years old girl/boy. Now everything makes sense. The story of my book is about Valentine’s Day (which is not common in my country), the challenge to invite a girl for a party was the best part of the book. Sometimes I got to read the book myself and thinking about how his mom is acting sometimes the same as me! Now we are reading together another one that’s called the meltdown.
This book is really good to bring the kids the pleasure of reading time. They don’t have to ready just “academic” books, this book is a kind of relax time for their mind.
These books are popular between students because the author describes all the situation in easy words and really close to their reality as a teenager.


message 6: by Yao (new)

Yao Chen | 49 comments Bruna wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy kid is a fever in my daughter’s school.
The third wheel was my book. Ana and I decided to read this book together. In the first moment, I felt a little bored because the story did ..."


Hey Bruna,

What a coincidence! I mentioned in my response that parents can read these books with children. And you were actually reading it with your daughter. How nice it is! I used to read story books with my nephew back home and I really miss the time we spent together.

Yao


message 7: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes A. | 49 comments The Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Book # 1
I had too much fun reading this book. Firstly I thought that I would not like it mainly because of some challenging words in it, however; I realized that it is part of the teenager´s speech, and understanding this kind of vocabulary, helps teachers to understand the adolescents´ lifestyle. Everything that Greg Heffley does seem to have hilarious consequences. I found this part very interesting, and, his family is very funny as well.
I believe that the reason these books are popular with young adolescents is that they can connect with the activities Greg does, such as enjoying to play video games all the time and searching for new adventures.
The author did an excellent job regarding the school scenario also. The readers can easily imagine how things happen in that environment.


message 8: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes A. | 49 comments Yao wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw——Jeff Kinney.
"This book makes more connections with young adolescents’ lives. They can find a lot of things happening just in their real world."

Hey Yao!
I completely agree when you say that adolescents can easily connect with the main character Greg regarding friendship and their school routine. By reading this kind of literature, made me think about my school days. The author not only brings a real school scenario to the readers but also motives their imagination.



message 9: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes A. | 49 comments Bruna wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy kid is a fever in my daughter’s school.

Hi Bruna,
It is funny! But I understand why a Wimpy Boy's Diary is a "fever at your daughter's school. Even me, after reading book # 1, I go after the others. Do you know what? It is a kind of relaxing reading, and it makes me laugh.



message 10: by Bruna (new)

Bruna Alcaraz | 41 comments Isaiah ... when I saw your reflection about you and your brother makes me realize The author brought real situations in those books. It is really good when we can match the story of the book with our life.


message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Thomas | 46 comments Isaiah wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Meltdown by Jeff Kinney

Upon completion of reading The Meltdown (book thirteen), I can understand why these books are popular with young adolescents. I would categorize m..."


Isaiah: you brought up a great point by acknowledging the illustrations that accompany the words. I think this is key, because, even as adult readers, we create visualizations of what the characters look like or try to "picture" the scene. It's kind of satisfying to see if your visualizations match up with the author's illustrations. An adolescent would definitely appreciate this. And, I agree that the use of illustrations can help the visual learner. What the visual learner may have been confused about in the text, could become clear upon seeing the illustrations.


message 12: by Diana (last edited Jan 29, 2020 08:24PM) (new)

Diana | 31 comments Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Book One
Like my daughter said in class her favorite books are the Diaries of a Wimpy Kid. She also explain there is a waiting list for these books in her school library. Jeff Kinney did a great job on making the book relatable for middle school kids. For example, how his little Manny cannot do no wrong or his older brother Rodrick does anything in his power to get Greg in trouble or simply how the world is out to get Greg. The book is a easy read and the illustrations are not only funny but also useful for struggling readers. One thing that stood out for me was; Greg made mistakes and learned from them, sometimes within time or the problem blow-up in his face but he lived though the station (the world is not going to end). I also want to believe this book has a moral to it; great friends are worth fighting for.
Reading this book as an adult helped me remember my thinking process as a kid (self-center and how to get out of trouble) and how I felt (my siblings always in my business, my mother making me sign-up for things I clearly did not want to do, and cooties). I would recommend this book for any age its a good laugh.


message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Olalde | 44 comments Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I read the first book for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. In this book, the main character, Greg Heffley, has just started middle school, and the book is the entries to a journal that document his year. Greg and his best friend, Rowley Jefferson, partner up to navigate the adventure that is sixth grade. Some of their experiences include opening a haunted house, learning to wrestle, and being on the school safety patrol.

When I started reading this book, I asked my brother and sister if they had ever read any of the Diary of a Wimpy books. They are in fifth and sixth grade, and they both enjoy the series. They even volunteered to read the book aloud with me. They both found the book hilarious, and I have to admit that I did laugh quite a bit while reading the book. I think that humor is part of the reason that this series is so popular with young adolescents. The cartoon drawings add to it. I also believe that the things that happen in Greg's life are relatable to young adolescents. They can relate because they are giving similar things happen to them in their life. It is an easy read, and there are not many unfamiliar words that students would struggle to read or understand. There was one part that I didn't like was how selfish Greg was at times. I wonder if young adolescents see it, or do they feel like it is normal?


message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana | 31 comments Jackie wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I read the first book for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. In this book, the main character, Greg Heffley, has just started middle school, and the book is the entries to a jou..."


I felt the same way, I caught myself laughing at the book and I thought Greg was being so selfish however, I think it has to do with age and surrounding. I think reading this book would help young adolescents understand they are not alone and family and friends matter.


message 15: by ThaoTam (last edited Jan 29, 2020 09:56PM) (new)

ThaoTam  Nguyen  | 46 comments Diary of a Wimpy kid – The long haul by Jeff Kinney.
At the first time I read it, I was really surprised because this book is very cute, specially the pictures, I love them. The long haul is one of the series of Diary of Wimpy kid. It is about family summer trip. Everythings happen and the way slove problem in a child eyes. With me, kids are always adorable when they do everything, the way they think is very simple
in the story, you can easy find out the situations usually happen ed in our life in every family.
the novel brings me back to my childhood when is spent with my cousins and my sister in the countryside. we always played together, after that, we argued, sometimes we hitted each other but later then we were really sad, so we played again..
And this is a really good novel for children. And why these books are so popular with young adolescents? because it come from a child opinion, the children can feel that familiar with them. they can see themself in the story.


message 16: by ThaoTam (new)

ThaoTam  Nguyen  | 46 comments Diana wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid

I read the first book for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. In this book, the main character, Greg Heffley, has just started middle school, and the book is the e..."


Hi Diana!
i agree with you that " this book would help young adolescents understand they are not alone and family and friends matter." they can see themself and their situation in their life. And because this is a diary of a child so children feel it really close to them.


message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Olalde | 44 comments Diana wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Book One
Like my daughter said in class her favorite books are the Diaries of a Wimpy Kid. She also explain there is a waiting list for these books in her school library. Jeff..."


Hi Diana,

After your daughter's comment, I asked my siblings, and there agreed. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid book series is in high demand at schools. I agree with what you said about the illustrations being useful for tool for struggling readers. In the classroom, I see how even the struggling readers gravitate towards chapter books with cartoons or graphic novels. I also think that students enjoy these books because they discuss things that are relatable to them and are things that they are experiencing at this point in their life.


message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Olalde | 44 comments Bruna wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy kid is a fever in my daughter’s school.
The third wheel was my book. Ana and I decided to read this book together. In the first moment, I felt a little bored because the story did ..."


Hi Bruna,

I think it's neat that you and your daughter were reading the book together. I believe the majority of us saw the book from Greg's point of view, but there are also adult figures in the book. So it was interesting to see how you were able to relate to the adults in the book while students would be able to connect to the children. It just goes to show how reading can serve multiples purposes.


message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana | 31 comments Bruna wrote: "Diary of a Wimpy kid is a fever in my daughter’s school.
The third wheel was my book. Ana and I decided to read this book together. In the first moment, I felt a little bored because the story did ..."


Hi Bruna,
I completely agree with you, I had to turn my adult brain and think like a kid. Once I did that reading the book doesn't seem like a reading assignment anymore, I was reading for the enjoyment of the book.


back to top