RAM Readers Spring 2020 discussion

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 24 comments Mod
About falling in love for the first time.

message 2: by Yao (last edited Jan 24, 2020 09:14PM) (new)

Yao Chen | 49 comments • The whole story starts from Julianna waiting for a playmate. She never knows that this second-grade boy Bryce is going to be her “significant other”. I like how the book was written. One chapter is from Bryce’s perspective and the next one is from Julianna’s. It is very interesting to observe the difference between boys and girls when they are describing the same things. For example, Bryce thinks, “Shelly’s nice and she’s friendly and she’s got a lot of hair.” On the other hand, Julianna says, “Shelly Stalls is a ninny.” She had mountain of hair to stop her from P.E. class. Julianna thinks she catches Bryce’s looking at her way, but the truth is he wants to get her perfect answers. How funny it is when you do compare and contrast. It also triggers my memories back to junior high school.
• I absolutely love this book after reading several chapters. When Julianna saw Bryce at the first time, she flipped. And the feeling has lasted for a long time. However, Bryce was afraid of her. Later on, until Julianna realized he might not the one she was looking for, Bryce started to change his minds towards Julianna. And then everything flipped. I also learned a lot of things through reading. Do not judge anyone when you do not know anything because the truth you see might not be the true at all. Julianna is smart but also not the normal girl you meet all the time. She enjoys her “lonely joy” just like I do sometimes. She is soft-hearted because she feels so sorry when the sycamore tree is cut down. I read the book cover to cover. I am not only seeing the romantic comedy or childish love between Julianna and Bryce. I personally like Julianna’s father. He allows a street dog to live and play with his children; He helps Julianna hatch the chicks; He uses his way to teach Julianna getting through the hard time. According to Mr. Loski’s behaviors and words, I realized that the importance of setting up a model for your children. As an old Chinese proverb goes, “Father is to blame for his son’s faults.”
• The choice you make at this very moment may affect you for the rest of your life. People cannot always make perfect decisions but do the things you will not feel regret when you get older. As the matter of fact, I like the author left the book open-ended because readers are the owners of their own lives. Everyone takes different lessons from a book!

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Thomas | 46 comments Surprisingly, I actually struggled with this book. I do like the idea of telling the same story from two different perspectives: a girl's and a boy's. Of course, this spotlights the different ways in which boys perceive experiences versus the way a girl might perceive that same experience. From an English teacher's perspective, this novel would be a great opportunity to introduce the concept of the 'unreliable narrator', which is a fantastic literary technique that shows up in many novels and movies. Simply, the unreliable narrator, in its simplest form, makes the reader questions which perspective is the "true" perspective.
The reason why I struggled with this novel is because I just didn't feel like it captured adolescent young love in reality. Yes, there is inner-turmoil in young love, but I feel like Juli and Bryce were far more introspective than any middle school kids I know! In fact, the secondary characters (the friends) offered a more realistic take on young love. To me, young love--especially first love--is very superficial and surface-level. It's all about the looks, the attraction, the popularity. I don't remember putting this much thought into my first love, at least not at the 8th grade level. I think the author gives Juli and Bryce far too much credit in an 8th grader's ability to "analyze" love, or even sort out feelings. Of course, there are some young adolescents who might go through an existential crisis when it comes to their first love. But, in reality, I think an 8th grader's brain is just not hard-wired for that complex of a take on life. Also, thinking back to how I was as an 8th grader, I never told my parents anything! I kept every last feeling or thought close to my chest, and would have been mortified to talk to my parents about anything. Maybe that's the early-'90s for you! The parents in this novel were far too "in the know" when it came to their kids' love life, which seems so strange to me. Granted, I would absolutely hope and pray that my daughter, when she's experiencing her first love, would feel so comfortable to tell me her every, inner thought, But, I wouldn't beat myself up about it because I know how young adolescents can be.

message 4: by Yao (new)

Yao Chen | 49 comments Natalie wrote: "Surprisingly, I actually struggled with this book. I do like the idea of telling the same story from two different perspectives: a girl's and a boy's. Of course, this spotlights the different ways ..."

Hi Natalie,

It is very interesting to see when you mentioned "unreliable narrator", which is definitely an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing! I do not really tell my parents what my feelings and thoughts are. I prefer to share them with my close friends instead. I thought it might be culture difference, but that is hard to say. (More close to your personality, I guess.) Good post!

Yao

message 5: by Bruna (new)

Bruna Alcaraz | 41 comments I loved the different perspectives that the author brought in this book. It was my first time where I read a book like this: two sides of the story. Honestly, I love the idea about of the love between teens and how they express themselves to a society. The mind of the teenagers is a place where nobody can understand, a lots of feelings coming and going. They can’t control their thoughts.
As a teacher I recommend this book to read in vacation time. It is funny and easy to understand. The students will appreciate the language that is written. Probably they will meet some of their own experiences in the book.

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Thomas | 46 comments Yao wrote: "• The whole story starts from Julianna waiting for a playmate. She never knows that this second-grade boy Bryce is going to be her “significant other”. I like how the book was written. One chapter ..."

Yao: I agree with you that this book does a great job of spotlighting the different ways that boys perceive people/situations versus the way girls perceive the same things. I'm glad you brought up the hair comments from Bryce and Juli. The boy considers a girl with long, flowing hair to be a beautiful and enviable quality; however, the girl considers this same long, flowing hair as being a nuisance or getting in the way of doing athletic things. Two different perceptions of the same things--neither one being right or wrong.

message 7: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes A. | 49 comments I really like this book. It not only jogs my memory to my first love but also makes me think broadly about the diverse views of relationships. Human being tends to consider just one side of the view, and this position may lead to wrong judgment. I can connect Bryce and Juliana´s relationship to others that I have seen before.
Fall in love for the first time can be a challenge for everyone, especially for youths. They dream about to find a soul mate, the right person, and expect that person corresponds to their expectations and feelings in the same way they do. I remember the day I told my older sister that I was in love with a boy from school, but she was not happy with this idea and said that that I should wait a little longer to have a boyfriend. From my sister´s point of view, to fall in love with somebody could be frustrating. Some years later, I understood her position. She wanted to protect my feelings.
In the book, Bryce and Juliana have diverse views of their relationship over many years, until those perspectives are "flipped." The story begins when Bryce moves into a new house close to Juliana´s. Both are seven years old, and Juli falls in love with him since the first time they met, but Bryce does not feel the same way. However, things begin to flip when the maturing Bryce begins to recognize how smart and beautiful Juli is. She does not want to date him anymore because Bryce has not been honest with her, but Bryce wants to win her back.
In the end, It seems that the gap between Bryce and Juliana shrinks when Bryce plants a sycamore tree in Juliana´s yard. From my point of view, this act could mean a new beginning of their relationship.

message 8: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes A. | 49 comments Natalie wrote: "The reason why I struggled with this novel is because I just didn't feel like it captured adolescent young love in reality. Yes, there is inner-turmoil in young love, but I feel like Juli and Bryce were far more introspective than any middle school kids I know!"

Hi Natalie,
I find it interesting when you mention that Bryce and Juliana seem to be more introspective and mature than most children of their age. I go along with you and notice that in certain situations, they went too deep in their feelings and impressions. The author may have exaggerated a little when describing the feelings of the first love.

Lourdes.

message 9: by Yao (new)

Yao Chen | 49 comments Bruna wrote: "I loved the different perspectives that the author brought in this book. It was my first time where I read a book like this: two sides of the story. Honestly, I love the idea about of the love betw..."

Hi Bruna,

I like your idea about let students read this book during vacation. I am sure it will be a good book to recommend. Teenagers are very hard to understand, probably the book can guide them to figure out some feelings they are holding all the time. Good post!

Yao

message 10: by Diana (new)

Diana | 31 comments I love the ides of flipping the perspectives of the same story. This book made me happy, angry, and glue to the next chapter. I remember being young and having a huge crush on that one kid on my bus and how he sat be hided me. I would turn and talk to him. The bus ride was about 10 minutes but within those 10 minutes my heart raced, I tried to acted cool and chill, but really was trying not to mess it up.
What I liked about this book was the parents were involvement with their children good or bad, financial issues, other children judgement and life is bigger than middle school. This book wasn't just a simple first love it was all the heart break that went with it.
While I was reading the book I highlighted some sentences that stood out for me and have a great deeper meaning so my idea is to use these sentences as bell ringers (while we are reading the book) and get the students thoughts about it. Examples: Most people don't look beneath the surface until it's too late pg. 112. Proper lighting is everything pg.34

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Olalde | 44 comments Flipped

Flipped is the story about the relationship between Bryce Loski and Julianna Baker. They have known each other for six years, and their relationship is unique. The chapters in the book alternate from Bryce's perspective to Julianna's perspective. I enjoyed the change of perspective throughout the story. It was interesting to read how drastically different the two characters told the same events. The story starts when Bryce moves into Juli's neighborhood. This is when Juli's crush on Bryce begins and continues for six years. Six years later, the story flips. Now Bryce has a crush on Juli, and now Juli is the uninterested one.

As the story develops, you learn how Juli falls in love with Bryce and how eventually Bryce falls in love with Juli. I think the author did a great job describing how young people feel when they first fall in love. The new feelings that one experiences for the first time and the feeling of not quite finding a word to describe them. Bryce and Juli have similar experiences as they learn more about each other. I was utterly shocked to find out the ending of this love story. I did not expect Juli to have a change of heart. Although I didn't expect it, I think that it is justified and shows readers that the way a person acts and treats others is an excellent indication of what type of person they are. Bryce's gesture of planting the sycamore tree changed how Juli felt because she was able to see a change in Bryce, and it was not just words but supported by actions. This is important for young adolescents to know.

message 12: by ThaoTam (new)

ThaoTam  Nguyen  | 46 comments Novel one: Flipped
Flipped is a nice story about Juli Baker and Bryce Loski. It looks like a race,Juli Baker spend all most the time to Bryce Losiki when the first time she meet him, but Bryce spends those same years trying to avoid Juli.
But things begin to flip when the maturing Bryce begins to recognize how smart and accomplished Juli is and that she is a person of substance. These years in his life pass always have her. And he also notices how beautiful she is. At the time, Juli discovers that Bryce hasn't been honest with her, she wants nothing to do with him. And the story end with an opening :’ maybe we could sit on the porch and talk. It just occurred to me that in all the years we’ve know each other, we’ve never done that. Never really talk.
While reading this story, I believe that we can see ourselves in it. That is really nice story about the puppy love. At that age, we easy missed a nice eyes, beautiful face or it can be straight hair, a mile… that always a pretty memories we never forget it.
When I was teenager, I read a story name” Mat biec”( dreamy eyes), it has the same story with Slipped but it doesn’t have the good ending. After reading it, I always ask questions for myself, it made me think a lot about the story. And I studied a lesson after reading that “there are two things you never miss: the last bus and a person really love you”. In this January, they make the movie base on the story. I suggest you should see it. It is a really nice story.

message 13: by ThaoTam (new)

ThaoTam  Nguyen  | 46 comments Lourdes wrote: "I really like this book. It not only jogs my memory to my first love but also makes me think broadly about the diverse views of relationships. Human being tends to consider just one side of the vie..."

Hi Lourdes!
The first love will be never forget in ourlife. it is always a nice memory. In the story, we can see our " first love" in this story. the way we treat with a person who we "loved". But it is not a true love, just the feeling you like someone. And we tried all our best to make the best thing for that person like Judi

message 14: by Lourdes (new)

Lourdes A. | 49 comments Jackie wrote: "Flipped
"I was utterly shocked to find out the ending of this love story. I did not expect Juli to have a change of heart. Although I didn't expect it, I think that it is justified and shows readers that the way a person acts and treats others is an excellent indication of what type of person they are."

Hey Jackie
I like that you mention the part above, I do agree that the way a person acts and treat others indicates what kind of person they are. Do you know what? Sometimes acts say more than words. In some cases, a person cannot talk, and the best way to demonstrate feelings is to do something good to show our love and sorry. The author found a good way for Bryce demonstrates his feelings when he planted the tree.

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Olalde | 44 comments Diana wrote: "I love the ides of flipping the perspectives of the same story. This book made me happy, angry, and glue to the next chapter. I remember being young and having a huge crush on that one kid on my bu..."

Hi Diana,

I absolutely love the idea of flipping the perspective throughout the novel. I think that you are right that this was more than just a young love story. There are many other topics that the author addresses that can be great life lessons. I think that your idea of bell ringers are great. I always love using quotes and reading and listening to how the students respond to them.

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Olalde | 44 comments ThaoTam wrote: "Novel one: Flipped
Flipped is a nice story about Juli Baker and Bryce Loski. It looks like a race,Juli Baker spend all most the time to Bryce Losiki when the first time she meet him, but Bryce spen..."

ThaoTam wrote: "Novel one: Flipped
Flipped is a nice story about Juli Baker and Bryce Loski. It looks like a race,Juli Baker spend all most the time to Bryce Losiki when the first time she meet him, but Bryce spen..."

Hi Thao,

I was honestly surprised by the ending of the story. I was fearful of a harsh ending. I think my thoughts were closer to the ending in the book you read when you were younger. I loved how we got to see how the characters, especially Juli, grew as the story progressed. I think a lot of the wisdom she gained was from her friendship with Bryce's grandfather and how she began to see people in a different light.

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana | 31 comments ThaoTam wrote: "Novel one: Flipped

Hi ThaoTam,
I also read another story like Flipped but it was about a boy and his pet fox, if you interested it is called PAX.
While I was reading this book, I also asked myself my questions about myself. Like was I more like Juli or Bryce when I was their age? Reading this book help me remember that children have many things have part a huge impact them. Children just don't live a carefree life, by waking up, going to school, playing, then go to sleep. As a adult I think we forget that sometimes, we sometimes needed to be reminded about our childhood.