Mount TBR 2020 discussion

Mt. Ararat (48 books) > Lianne's Mount TBR Climb

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments OK, so last year, I signed up for challenges like usual, and then completely forgot about all of them somehow lol. And I had even aimed for a higher than usual goal on this challenge! I was so determined to do better! Then I actually had an even worse year than usual in terms of reading my TBR. I read almost nothing but library books.

This year I'm aiming for more balance in my reading in a lot of ways. One of those is definitely to read more of my own books rather than just library books all the time. My physical TBR pile is up to 1007 books right now. I hit the 1000 mark late in 2019, something I had been trying to avoid! So, I'm gonna start at the Mount Blanc (24 books) level this year, but with hopes of actually succeeding for once and moving to a higher peak. (This has literally never happened lol but I can dream.)

So far I'm at 0. I've read 6 books this year, consisting of 4 library books, one book I own but just got shortly before I read it, and one ebook I downloaded right before I read it.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments I also have a sub-goal that's relevant here, since it applies specifically to my TBR pile! I want to try to read at least one 700+ page book off my TBR pile each quarter. I currently have 27 books that are 700+ pages long on my TBR, so at this pace (if I don't buy any more) I would read them all in 7 years. As much as that sounds like a really long time, realistically my TBR is big enough to be measured in decades lol.

Some of them do require some pre-req reading. For example, I have the whole Dune series on my TBR, but only three of them are 700+ pages, so in order to get to those ones I'll have to read some other Dune books first. Therefore I will attempt to boost the priority somewhat of these earlier series books.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (cquan01) | 89 comments Wow! That’s a lot of books! Good luck making it through those 700+ ones!

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 81 comments Hi Lianne, I'm in the 1,000+ club of TBR as well. I didn't want to get there either...but it happens. Now I'm trying to at least hit net zero - read as many as come in this year, have yet to do that.

Good luck with all of your reading goals!

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy (wayamom8) Wow! My TBR is not quite as large but can relate to everything you are going through. We can do this! My issue is finding time. Busy work schedule and something at home is always needing to be done. I am going to be intentional in making time for my reading. We got this! Happy reading/ climbing!

message 6: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 218 comments I'm in that 1000+ TBR boat with you, Lianne! Most of the physical books I own I have not read yet!

message 7: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Feb 02, 2020 10:01AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments Thanks everyone! With your moral support I know I can succeed! :D

Pamela wrote: "Now I'm trying to at least hit net zero - read as many as come in this year, have yet to do that."
That is a good goal! I've never managed that one, either.

Last night I decided I wanted a start on this challenge, so I tackled a quick read off my TBR:

1. The Cool Kids' Guide to Summer Camp by R.L. Stine The Cool Kids' Guide to Summer Camp by Jovial Bob Stine (aka R.L. Stine) and Jane Stine (bought in April 2019)

I was a regular summer camper as a kid, and this goofy book brought back many fond memories!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments Some assorted statistics about my TBR pile, because I love data:

Current total: 1006

Number of books over a certain length (cumulative):
>1000: 3
>900: 4
>800: 12
>700: 27
>600: 49
>500: 92
>400: 197
>300: 370
which leaves 636 books that are under 300 pages.

When books were added to my TBR shelf:
2009: 358 (the year I joined Goodreads and added my existing collection)
2010: 105
2011: 44
2012: 120
2013: 43
2014: 51
2015: 89
2016: 40
2017: 57
2018: 58
2019: 42

So we'll see how these stats change over the course of the year! I love having numbers to track. :)

message 9: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 218 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Some assorted statistics about my TBR pile, because I love data:

Current total: 1006

Number of books over a certain length (cumulative):
>1000: 3
>900: 4
>800: 12
>700: 27
>600: 49
>500: 92
>400:..."

Oooh bookish stats are so fun!

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria | 35 comments Thirding the love for bookish stats! They're so satisfying...or frustrating, when they're not going the way you wish they would (aka more books coming in than being read!). Best of luck climbing! :)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 2. The Time Raider (Twistaplot #1) by R.L. Stine The Time Raider (Twist-a-Plot #1) by R.L. Stine (bought in September 2012)

My reading of the very early R.L. Stine books continues with this, his first gamebook! It was rollicking good fun. You get into your uncle's time machine and the first choice is whether to go to the past or the future. Either way (though I think especially the future) leads to a LOT of potential endings! I spent a good chunk of an evening going through every possible path and mapping them out (because I'm a nerd and that's how I do gamebooks).

Obviously this was not a long book, being under 100 pages. But, it does come out of my 2012 TBR, which is one of my bigger years! (Seriously, what was I doing in 2012?? Just like, taking wads of cash to used book sales and throwing it in the air??)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 3. 101 Silly Monster Jokes by R.L. Stine 101 Silly Monster Jokes by Jovial Bob Stine (R.L. Stine) (bought in May 2014)

Two TBR books in one weekend! I'm on a roll! Anyway these jokes were TERRIBLE lol. There was the odd good one here and there, but yeah, I'm glad R.L. Stine switched to mostly horror!

One joke I particularly enjoyed, however:

What do English sea monsters have for dinner?
Fish and ships!

*laughs hysterically*

message 13: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 218 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "(Seriously, what was I doing in 2012?? Just like, taking wads of cash to used book sales and throwing it in the air??)..."

Hahahaha!!!

message 14: by Maria (new)

Maria | 35 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "I spent a good chunk of an evening going through every possible path and mapping them out (because I'm a nerd and that's how I do gamebooks)."

You're not alone! I might have to check this one out; time travel + choose your own adventure = catnip for me, though I never got into Goosebumps as a kid.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments Maria wrote: "You're not alone! I might have to check this one out; time travel + choose your own adventure = catnip for me, though I never got into Goosebumps as a kid."
This one actually predates Goosebumps by quite a bit! I'm currently making my way through R.L. Stine's really early stuff, from the 80s. He did a few of these Twist-a-Plots as well as a few Indiana Jones gamebooks. But I do have a whole stack of Give Yourself Goosebumps for more choose your own adventure fun further down the line! :D

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 4. Horrors of the Haunted Museum (Twistaplot, #9) by R.L. Stine Horrors of the Haunted Museum (Twist-a-Plot #9) by R.L. Stine (bought in August 2012)

Another great gamebook! In this one, you're spending the night in a museum on a dare, because it's supposedly cursed. Depending on your choices, you may end up on an actual pirate ship or fleeing from an ancient mummy!

For whatever reason I'm finding this challenge SUPER motivating these last few weeks. I'm constantly browsing my TBR list now. I have starting compiling stacks of books from my shelves that I want to read soon. After having kind of a weak reading year in 2019, it's nice to be feeling so excited about my books again!!

Oh and if you're wondering why my challenge is so far exclusively R.L. Stine books, it's because they make up almost a third of my TBR! At the start of this year I had 1007 TBR books, of which 320 were in my R.L. Stine collection. So there will definitely be more! But don't worry, I'll read other stuff too. :D

message 17: by Petra (new)

Petra | 35 comments Ohh I see bookish stats and I'm sold (when I have time I will try doing the same thing with my tbr). Also love R.L. Stine and his Fear Street series, I have at least 10 of those on my shelf.

Good luck going forward with your challenge!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments Petra wrote: "Ohh I see bookish stats and I'm sold (when I have time I will try doing the same thing with my tbr). Also love R.L. Stine and his Fear Street series, I have at least 10 of those on my shelf.

Good luck going forward with your challenge!"

Thanks! :) If you have your TBR pile all on Goodreads it's pretty easy. I sort my to-read shelf by date added to get the numbers on books added each year, and by number of pages to get the number of big books. Just takes a little bit of counting (aided by choosing an appropriate number of items displayed per page).

message 19: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Feb 08, 2020 10:03PM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 5. Indiana Jones and the Giants of the Silver Tower by R.L. Stine Indiana Jones and the Giants of the Silver Tower (Find Your Fate #3) by R.L. Stine (bought in July 2014)

So far I haven't enjoyed the Find Your Fate Indiana Jones gamebooks as much as the Twist-a-Plot gamebooks. I found that this one had too many similarities between the various paths, making it feel a bit more repetitive (e.g. a strange figure appears but don't shoot! It's the man you've been looking for! Happened a lot). And then there was the one ending where an entire civilisation gets destroyed and Indy's basically like "oh no! ... Oh well, no one would've believed us anyway!" and it's like, all those people just died along with all their art and culture and way of life!! It's not about your museum!! But anyway. On to the next book!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 6. 101 Vacation Jokes by R.L. Stine 101 Vacation Jokes by Jovial Bob Stine (R.L. Stine) (bought in May 2014)

More terrible jokes, lol.

25% of the way to Mount Blanc's peak! I'll be upgrading to a higher peak in no time! :D

message 21: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Feb 16, 2020 03:54PM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 7. Indiana Jones and the Cult of the Mummy's Crypt (Indiana Jones Find Your Fate, #7) by R.L. Stine Indiana Jones and the Cult of the Mummy's Crypt by R.L. Stine (bought in January 2017)

Another Indiana Jones gamebook, this one involving a cult that's trying to bring mummies back to life. Having read a few of these now, I have questions about the canon, lol. In all of them, you are Indiana Jones' kid cousin who's staying with him for the summer, and your parents do NOT know that Indiana is bringing you along on some dangerous adventure. So my question is this: do these all take place in the same timeline? Are all these adventures in one summer? Or do my parents just keep sending me to stay with my obviously bad at babysitting cousin?! Or am I a different cousin each time, and word hasn't spread in the family??

Anywho, with that I finish the R.L. Stine books that I own from the 1980s! There are still a couple of joke books that came out in 1990, but overall, from here it gets a lot more horror-oriented!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 8. The Proposal (Animorphs, #35) by K.A. Applegate The Proposal (Animorphs #35) by K.A. Applegate (bought in 2009 or earlier)

It's been too long since I read an Animorphs! This was a Marco book, ghost-written but not terribly done. Deals mainly with Marco's emotional issues surrounding his mom (I won't say more because spoilers!). The ending is an OMG moment leading up to the side-book Visser, which I now need to read!!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 9. Visser (Animorphs Chronicles, #3) by K.A. Applegate Visser (Animorphs Chronicles #3) by K.A. Applegate (bought in June 2009)

The selection of Animorphs books I read as a child was probably rather unusual. I only read two of the main series books (#1 and #5), but I also read three of the four chronicles books. So basically I knew all the lore and none of the main storyline! Well, Visser was the only chronicle I didn't have as a kid, so I was excited to get to this one! You learn SO MUCH about Visser One in this book, a previously quite mysterious character!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 10. Friendships Don't Just Happen! The Guide to Creating a Meaningful Circle of GirlFriends by Shasta Nelson Friendships Don't Just Happen! The Guide to Creating a Meaningful Circle of Girlfriends by Shasta Nelson (bought in February 2013)

Reading this book, I couldn't help but compare it to MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best Friend. I read that book in 2012, at a time when I found myself needing to intentionally cultivate friendship, and as I have found myself in that position again I figured I'd read the other friendship book that's been sitting on my shelf for years. In comparison, Friendships Don't Just Happen felt a lot more like a self-help book and less like a fun memoir. It felt a bit repetitive to me, but I do like the author's Circles of Connectedness as a way to see what roles your friends play in your life. MWF Seeking BFF ended up having quite an impact on my life; we'll see if this one does too!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 11. The Mutation (Animorphs, #36) by K.A. Applegate The Mutation (Animorphs #36) by K.A. Applegate (bought in 2009 or earlier)

A very creepy Animorphs book! The Animorphs go chasing after a new underwater Yeerk ship and end up finding a mutated human civilisation on the bottom of the ocean. I spent a lot of time thoroughly creeped out by the fact that they were deep underwater, going through caves they could so easily get trapped in, demorphing in air pockets in these underwater caves. This was basically a horror novel for me lol. Really good!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 12. How I Broke Up With Ernie by R.L. Stine How I Broke Up With Ernie by R.L. Stine (bought in May 2011)

This book was ridiculous lol. It's about a girl who breaks up with her boyfriend but then he still just keeps hanging out around her and coming along on her dates and stuff. There were zero likable characters. It was a bit funny but also rather infuriating!

Hey look: I've reached Pike's Peak! :D At this rate I'll have scaled Mount Blanc by spring! It's funny; I was thinking recently that I must be close to my record for TBR books read in a year, but then I checked my blog and found that there were some early years (before I started working in a library...) when I actually read quite a few! My best year was 2012, when I signed up to read 40 and did not succeed, but did read 31 TBR books. Time to set a new record, methinks!

message 27: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 218 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "12. How I Broke Up With Ernie by R.L. Stine How I Broke Up With Ernie by R.L. Stine (bought in May 2011)

This book was ridiculous lol. It's about a girl who breaks up with her boyfriend but t..."

Woot already summitted Pike's Peak! Congrats! That book sounds a bit disturbing even though it's meant to be funny!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 13. The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6) by R.L. Stine The Sleepwalker (Fear Street #6) by R.L. Stine (bought in September 2009)

First Fear Street book in over a year! I love the way there are always multiple people that you could be suspicious of along the way, and in the end I'm still always surprised by at least some parts. (We'll see if that keeps up as I read more of the series!) I feel like The Sleepwalker had an extra layer of scariness in that the main character grew more sleep deprived as the story progressed, which made her worse at making decisions and also made her frequently doubt her own sanity.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 14. The First Journey (Alternamorphs, #1) by K.A. Applegate The First Journey (Animorphs: Alternamorphs #1) by K.A. Applegate (bought in July 2009)

Well that was not great lol. The two Alternamorphs books are gamebooks set in the Animorphs universe. They don't fit into the canon. In them, you play another kid who joined the Animorphs. Bizarrely, the book starts with an intro from Jake that makes it sound like you're joining them later, but then the first chapter has you at the construction site getting your morphing powers at the same time as the rest of the group. And then you don't know about the events of The Forgotten (book 11). So like, was I there or wasn't I?? Anyway yeah there are a lot of continuity problems, obviously, and it also isn't a great gamebook; you can almost read it cover to cover because each choice leads to one of the next few chapters, only one of which is ever successful. On the bright side, that meant it took a lot less time than the gamebooks I've been reading lately!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments So, because I've been obsessing over my TBR pile recently (I'm autistic and sometimes the most random things become all my brain will focus on, and right now, for better or for worse, this is it!), I've come up with more Mount TBR goals! Warning: This might be super boring to anyone who isn't me.

So, I already set the goal of reading one of my long (700+ pages) books each quarter (and I've got some planned out so that should work out this year at least!). I've got another one: one non-fiction book off my TBR pile each quarter. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, so what I have tends to languish on my shelf for all of eternity. Apparently I currently have 91 non-fiction books to read. Yikes! So, really I should read more than one per quarter, but I figure having that minimum requirement will at least get me reading them.

Anyone else have a neglected section of their shelves?

I'm also going to aim to get my 2010 and 2012 numbers under 100, while continuing to chip away at the mountain that is 2009. We'll see how that works out!

message 31: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 218 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "So, because I've been obsessing over my TBR pile recently (I'm autistic and sometimes the most random things become all my brain will focus on, and right now, for better or for worse, this is it!),..."

More goals are funnn! :) I'm pretty good about keeping up on my nonfiction because they're usually my audiobooks anyway and they're easier to slide into my TBR. My physical books in general are my problem. The convenience of e-books and audiobooks just blow my physical books out of the water! And take up no room. lol. So this year I'm really trying to get rid of some physical books. I have all sorts of genres, I don't even know what's being neglected. Probably the historical romance my mom gave me. lol. Short and easy, I should tackle those!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 15. Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family #1) by Melissa de la Cruz (bought in December 2012) (ebook)

Sometimes when I read ebooks I get the feeling that my experience would have been very different had I read the physical book, and this was one of those times. The reason is that I typically only read on my Kobo in bed. I always have one ebook on the go that I read at bedtime until I fall asleep (because then the Kobo goes to sleep and I don't have a lamp on). So, I read ebooks very slowly over a long period of time.

In this case, I think that actually made me like the book more! I feel like this book might have seemed too long in physical format (but it's hard to say). It felt like a slice of life story, even though it really isn't. It's hard to describe! Anyway, I liked reading this story in tiny bites over the course of almost two months.

Regarding ebooks on my TBR pile: The only ebooks I put on my to-read shelf are the ones I actually pay money for, which is rare. (I read a lot of public domain ebooks like Jane Austen.) So even though it's not on my physical pile I'm still counting this one since I spent money on it.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments I swear I didn't fall off the Mount TBR wagon! It's just that I honestly haven't finished a book in ages. I have way too many on the go, including three other TBR books. And with everything that's going on, my attention span is all over the place.

My Social Distancing Update!

I work in a school, and schools here have been closed to students for a week. I did go in to work to get a few things done on Monday and Tuesday, but have been at home since. And now it's actually spring break. They're already saying schools will be suspended past the original date of Easter weekend, so I likely have more than two weeks left at home. So far I've been making decent use of my time, catching up on some housework but also relaxing, watching Netflix. My reading has faltered though. Hopefully I can get back in the groove.

Anyway, I'm not sick, and no one close to me is sick, so right now I'm doing OK. My province (Manitoba) only had our first case on March 12, so we're still early in, but we were quick to close schools, cancel large events, etc. Even my usual June events have already been cancelled. So hopefully we're acting quickly enough that it won't get bad here.

I hope you all are doing OK.

message 34: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 218 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "15. Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family #1) by Melissa de la Cruz (bought in December 2012) (ebook)

Sometimes when I read ebooks I get the feeling tha..."

E-Books definitely count! And audio! And all that in between! :)

message 35: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 218 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "I swear I didn't fall off the Mount TBR wagon! It's just that I honestly haven't finished a book in ages. I have way too many on the go, including three other TBR books. And with everything that's ..."

A lot of shelter in place effects in the US have been extended, I believe. My state just went into it yesterday and will continue until May 4. The kiddos have already been out of school for 2 weeks and will continue remote learning until May 4. But we still don't think they'll will be going back to school until the fall. Glad you're safe and healthy and hopefully your province handled things quickly enough to stop the spread!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments Elyse wrote: "E-Books definitely count! And audio! And all that in between! :)"

Oh totally! I just mostly don't count them because it's rare that I actually spend money on them and them have them sitting waiting to be read, like I do with my physical books. Mostly I'm like "I'm gonna read Sense and Sensibility!" and then I download it from Project Gutenberg, so it never goes on the TBR.

Elyse wrote: "A lot of shelter in place effects in the US have been extended, I believe. My state just went into it yesterday and will continue until May 4. The kiddos have already been out of school for 2 weeks and will continue remote learning until May 4. But we still don't think they'll will be going back to school until the fall. Glad you're safe and healthy and hopefully your province handled things quickly enough to stop the spread!"

The timeline in Manitoba is still up in the air, but one thing I do know for sure at this point is that school is not going back in until September, which means I'm working from home for the next two months yet, and then going straight into summer vacation. It's a weird feeling!

But yes, I think things have been handled well here. At this point our number of active cases is going down each day, which is great to see! Just a few days ago we had over 100 active cases, and today we're down to 66! :) There are still new cases popping up most days but people are recovering faster than people are getting sick. If this keeps up we'll be in good shape!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments OK, finally I can list some books here again! Yesterday was Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon and I ended up reading only TBR books!

16. The Weakness (Animorphs, #37) by K.A. Applegate The Weakness (Animorphs #37) by K.A. Applegate (bought in 2009 or earlier)

17. Esio Trot  by Roald Dahl Esio Trot by Roald Dahl (bought in April 2019)

18. Phone Calls by R.L. Stine Phone Calls by R.L. Stine (bought in May 2011)

19. Interview with the Vampire Claudia's Story by Ashley Marie Witter Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story by Ashley Marie Witter and Anne Rice (bought in October 2019)

20. The Arrival (Animorphs, #38) by K.A. Applegate The Arrival (Animorphs #38) by K.A. Applegate (bought in June 2009 or earlier)

21. Haunted (Fear Street, #7) by R.L. Stine Haunted (Fear Street #7) by R.L. Stine (bought in April 2010)

22. Juliet Fisher and the Foolproof Plan by Natalie Honeycutt Juliet Fisher and the Foolproof Plan by Natalie Honeycutt (acquired pre-2009, possibly from childhood)

Now that's some progress!! And I still have 3 TBR books that I'm currently reading and have been for ages. I'll be on to the next mountain in no time.

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Schnorrbusch You're doing great, Lianne! I have over 1600 books and I wasn't sure I'd even make it up this mountain back in January. Now I am 3.5 books away from moving on the the next one.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments Kelly wrote: "You're doing great, Lianne! I have over 1600 books and I wasn't sure I'd even make it up this mountain back in January. Now I am 3.5 books away from moving on the the next one."

That's awesome! I'm hoping to keep this up and move up a couple of mountains before the year is done. This might be the first time I've actually met my initial goal in this challenge, actually!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 23. 101 School Cafeteria Jokes by R.L. Stine 101 School Cafeteria Jokes by Jovial Bob Stine (R.L. Stine) (bought in May 2014)

It's a good thing these joke books are quick reads, because the jokes are not very funny lol!

As I've mentioned, I'm reading the R.L. Stine books I own in roughly chronological order, and I'm currently in 1990. Recently for whatever reason I've been SUPER excited to get to the Goosebumps books, but I don't want to skip ahead of them. I have a list written out of the books that came out in 1990-92 so I can see what I'm supposed to read left, and I currently have 17 to read before I get to the first Goosebumps book. That's motivation! :D

message 41: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 218 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "But yes, I think things have been handled well here. At this point our number of active cases is going down each day, which is great to see! Just a few days ago we had over 100 active cases, and today we're down to 66! :) There are still new cases popping up most days but people are recovering faster than people are getting sick. If this keeps up we'll be in good shape!..."

That is very good to hear! New Hampshire seems to still be climbing in cases but living out in the country has its benefits, we're pretty isolated where we live.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 24. Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer (bought in February 2014)

I FINISHED A BOOK!!! Ugh, quarantine is killing my attention span. I actually really enjoyed this book, but it took me nearly two months to read. I hope I can turn this trend around for the summer. Just one more week and I'm out of a job until September! (Don't worry, this isn't too alarming. I'm a 10 month employee in a school so I'm always laid off for July and August. This year I'm just also laid off for June due to Covid cuts.) So, in theory, I'll have LOTS of reading time lol.

And with that, I reach the summit of Mount Blanc! I'm going to keep using this same thread; I'm just gonna move it over to the Mt. Vancouver folder. See you on the next mountain! :)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 25. The Silver Spear (The Violet Fox #2) by Clare C. Marshall Silver Spear (Violet Fox #2) by Clare C. Marshall (bought in October 2017) (ebook)

Another one in the small category of ebooks I actually paid money for, so I count them in my TBR. This one is one of several I bought from a Canadian author at Comic Con.

It's been a while since I read Violet Fox (the first book in this series), but I feel like they were very different. While Violet Fox was more of an undercover rebel surprises herself by falling in love with the prince kind of story, this one had practically no romance and was more of an oh crap everyone's attacking us we have to go on an adventure to find this ancient weapon kind of story, lol. Anyway, I enjoyed both, and look forward to seeing where the series goes next!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 26. First Contact by J.M. Dillard Star Trek: First Contact (graphic novel version) (got as a gift in December 2017)

It was nice to read something quick in the middle of my huge Stephen King book (plus others on the go).

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 27. Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8) by R.L. Stine Halloween Party (Fear Street #8) by R.L. Stine (bought in April 2010)

I read this one in a single evening; maybe I have my reading mojo back! :D

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 28. Curtains by R.L. Stine Curtains by R.L. Stine (bought in September 2012)

This is a stand-alone horror novel from 1990, though it reads a lot like R.L. Stine's horror series from the same time (Fear Street and Point Horror). It was good. I liked that (view spoiler) for a change.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 29. 101 Creepy Creature Jokes by R.L. Stine 101 Creepy Creature Jokes by Jovial Bob Stine (R.L. Stine) (bought in May 2014)

When I saw that my next R.L. Stine book was the last of the joke books, I had to take the opportunity to polish off a second one in one day! Just one more Fear Street book and I'll be done the 1990 R.L. Stine books.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 30. The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9) by R.L. Stine The Stepsister (Fear Street #9) by R.L. Stine (bought in 2009 or earlier)

1990: done! On to 1991! (Hey that rhymes lol.) I have 8 unread R.L. Stine books from 1991, consisting of 6 Fear Street books (including the first two Fear Street Super Chillers!), one standalone novel, and the first book in a weird series called Space Cadets.

message 49: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Aug 18, 2020 04:49PM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 31. Needful Things by Stephen King Needful Things by Stephen King (bought in January 2017)

FINALLY. I mean I liked the book, but wow, long. That took me 5 months. It was supposed to be my first quarter long book, and now the third quarter of the year is almost done lol. So it's pretty clear I won't be meeting that quarterly long book goal, but oh well. This was seriously my quarantine read, because I started it in March, right around when I got sent home, and finished it just a couple of weeks before back to school!

Now I'm way behind on all my reading goals, so let's hope I can make up some lost time in the fall!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 57 comments 32. Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #10) by Louise Rennison Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicholson #10) by Louise Rennison (bought in June 2010)

I started this series probably in high school, more than 15 years ago, and I just finally read the final book! What a great series.

I was looking at how long its been since I finished my last TBR book, and wondering how so much time has passed! But then I remembered that I moved in the last half of August and had very little time for anything else. Then it was back to school. But now I'm getting in a bit more of a groove, and also the read-a-thon is coming up!

« previous 1