What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Unbecoming
This topic is about Unbecoming
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. thriller. female author in last 10 years. Poor, smart girl southern town,artist boyfriend from good family and ruffian bestie steal painting from town's historic house, old guard dies. She disappears in europe becomes art/jewelry forger [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 2 comments Read it and believe it was written in the last 10 years by a female author. Starts in a charming small, historic, southern town. Female protag had a difficult relationship with her mom and step dad, there was a way younger half sibling or siblings. She was entrenched in the boyfriend's golden family. Greatly admired the mother and loved her etc. The boyfriend's best friend was sort of dark and silent and from a troubled home. At some point the girl and the best friend have an affair. The girl gets a scholarship to a great school - boyfriend's family may have even helped pay for her education. She goes off to college, that is when the heist takes place allowing her plausible deniability. In college she is taken under the wing of some player in art world. She becomes an art expert. Disappears in Europe with the stolen painting. Lives underground and works in an antiquities refurbishing/replacing/thieving syndicate. Lives under an alias in a rented room in a depressing house. She checks her hometown paper on-line from afar. The boys went to jail for the crime. Boyfriend got off light and best friend did not. He ultimately finds her in Europe.

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1204 comments Searching online I found a book that looks very promising: Unbecoming by Rebecca Scherm (I'm sorry, I can't add the link).

message 4: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 2 comments Mai wrote: "Searching online I found a book that looks very promising: Unbecoming by Rebecca Scherm (I'm sorry, I can't add the link)."

Meghan wrote: "Read it and believe it was written in the last 10 years by a female author. Starts in a charming small, historic, southern town. Female protag had a difficult relationship with her mom and step dad..."

Yes! That is it. Thank you both!!

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5075 comments All credit to Mai!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unbecoming (other topics)