Sweetwater Public Library discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
Book Discussions > February: A Classic

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kamiryn (last edited Jan 23, 2020 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kamiryn (bunnyblossoms) Looks like our very first book will be Little Women by Louisa May Alcott! A big thank-you to everyone who voted in our poll to decide. If you'd like easy access to a copy, you have a couple options:

- Reserve the library's physical copy (we only have 1 available, so keep that in mind! You'll also need to log in to your library account or call us to place a hold on the book.)

- Get the audiobook now on Tennessee READS (you'll need to log in to Libby or Overdrive with your library card number. If you've forgotten, give us a call!)

- Get the ebook for FREE on Project Gutenberg (they have a Kindle format, too!)

If you need any help finding, downloading, or reserving a copy, feel free to call the library at (423)-337-5274 and we'll help you the best we can!

Also, be sure to RSVP to our attendance!

Kamiryn (bunnyblossoms) You can discuss the book here at any point in time - before, during, or after you read the book!

I personally haven't read this title yet, but I'm excited to read it so I can watch the new movie that just came out! Books tend to be better than the movie adaptations, but I'll decide that once I've finished the book.

Do y'all plan on reading the book before seeing the new film? Or have you already seen it and want to read the book to compare the two?

Stephanie | 3 comments I will be re-reading it after 32 years since my last read. I will not see the 2019 film adaptation until doing so. I have sentimental attachments to the 1933 and 1949 adaptations, being that I love old movies. Katherine Hepburn will always be the standard for Jo, because I love both the actress and the character. I look forward to revisiting these “little women.”

message 4: by Kamiryn (last edited Feb 11, 2020 07:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kamiryn (bunnyblossoms) I finished the book this morning on my way to work, and I have to say, this one won't be a favorite. It was alright but the book's ideas and themes, while modern for the time they were written, feel incredibly outdated in comparison to the same ideas presented through the lens of today.

If I had to pick a favorite character, I'd go with Jo, because she was loud, outspoken, and deviated from the typical "genteel woman" of the late 1800s. (view spoiler)

The beginning of the book dragged for me, mostly because I didn't like the way the girls were presented and how they "fell from high society" (although they must've still been well-off considering they still had an in-house housekeeper and could afford luxury gifts and meals on holidays). I also listened to this as an audiobook, and I didn't find the narrator very enjoyable. She did give each character a unique voice and I could understand who was speaking in any given situation, but the narrator's voice itself lent an aristocratic tone that sounded very critical of everything around her.

All in all, the book was okay. Not spectacular, not horrible, just very... middle of the road. I'm glad to have read it just to say I have, but this isn't one of those books I would go back to and reread multiple times.

Stephanie | 3 comments I finished the book. I realized why I hadn’t read it in so long. It’s not a favorite. Jo is the obvious favorite sister for many readers due to her independent nature. I felt I was trudging along, especially in the beginning. Everyone ultimately finds their own versions of happiness and contentment despite sad and difficult times that all families endure no matter what time period or even station in life. I think it is one of the few cases where I enjoyed the dramatic interpretations on film more than the book, which pains me to say. It moved slowly for me. I did find a certain amount of satisfaction I the fact that Jo and Laurie did not end up together as would be expected to wrap the story up in a boringly tidy little bow. I’m glad I re-read it, but honestly twice in my life is more than enough.

message 6: by Meera, SPL Staff (new)

Meera Patel | 2 comments Mod
I literally could not finish the book because through the first chapter I never could get into it. Honestly, it was putting me to sleep. So here's hoping March book does not do the same lol