CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2020 > February 2020: Read an Old Favourite

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3553 comments Mod
Hi all - this monthly read will cover off a BINGO square. Which Canadian old favourite are you planning on reading?

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 735 comments I was thinking about rereading Spelling Mississippi by Marnie Woodrow. I read it ages ago and absolutely loved it. It's set in New Orleans and I thought it might be interesting to reread it now that I live here and know the city much better than I did as a tourist.

message 3: by Story (last edited Jan 24, 2020 11:26AM) (new)

Story (storyheart) I'm going to re-read Station 11 and/or Edible Woman. Both old favourites.

Susan, Spelling Mississippi sounds good. I hadn't heard of it before.

message 4: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt | 114 comments I'm thinking of reading I Married the Klondike, which I read many years ago, about the time the TV series based on it was shown.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1637 comments I’m thinking about rereading Son of a Trickster for this square. I really did like it when I read it a couple of years ago.

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie Paradowski | 52 comments My first thought was Davies Fifth Business but do not have that one on my bookshelves so will do Tempest - Tost. Have many of his books which were all read in the 80's and recently find myself wanting to revisit this amazing author.

message 7: by Petra (last edited Jan 25, 2020 10:37AM) (new)

Petra | 671 comments Robertson Davies is a wonderful author. Of the books of his that I've read so far, I think Fifth Business is the best stand-alone and The Salterton Trilogy: Tempest-Tost; Leaven of Malice; A Mixture of Frailties is the best trilogy as a whole. I actually think the trilogy is best read as one long book.
It's nice to see Robertson Davies mentioned. That makes my heart happy.

I was considering Timothy Findley's Not Wanted On The Voyage but there's a long queue at the library for it. Is there a movie coming out or something? Why the long queue on an older book? LOL.

I think I'll reread one of Jack Hodgins books, either The Resurrection of Joseph Bourne or Spit Delaney's Island.

message 8: by Connie (last edited Jan 25, 2020 12:45PM) (new)

Connie Paradowski | 52 comments Petra you may be right about the trilogy. I have the three and may very well end up reading them all, which will not help with my bingo but will be great fun.

message 9: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Petra, do you have a thrift shop nearby? I always seem to see a copy of Not Wanted on the Voyage when I visit one.

message 10: by Petra (new)

Petra | 671 comments I do!.....and I hadn't thought about that, Storyheart. Thank you! I'll pop in sometime next week and see if they have a copy. I might get lucky.

message 11: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Storyheart - great suggestion!! I've found it also works if you telephone the used books stores in your neightbourhoold and ask if they have a certain book on hand. They will let you know whether they have it on hand or not....and the price.....and hold it for you if you ask. I moderate a book club that has more members than our book clubs in a bag and often supplement the books handed out this way.

message 12: by Petra (new)

Petra | 671 comments Connie wrote: "Petra you may be right about the trilogy. I have the three and may very well end up reading them all, which will not help with my bingo but will be great fun."

You won't regret it, Connie. But then, I don't think there's a Roberson Davies book that is regrettable. I've enjoyed each one I've read.

message 13: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Petra wrote: " I don't think there's a Roberson Davies book that is regrettable. I've enjoyed each one I've read. "

Ditto! I think I've read The Fifth Business trilogy at least 4x. Love it. The others are good too.

message 14: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 412 comments I really resist rereading books, I have so many I want to get to, but if I have to do it to get the BINGO done, I will go to either The Handmaid's Tale because I read this over 30 years ago , or Ru because I listened to this in audio, which I dont think did it justice.

message 15: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 538 comments I’m going to re-read “ Anne of Green Gables” for this square. My niece is getting to an age where she is curious about the book, and I haven’t revisited Green Gables in years.

message 16: by ❀ Susan (new)

So many great options! I was thinking about reading Medicine Walk but we may read Anne of Green Gables as we read across Canada for our in person book club this year.

message 17: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) I re-read The Edible Woman last weekend and today my library had a brand new copy of Bodily Harm so I'll go with the Atwoodian flow and read it too.

message 18: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 405 comments I reread The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. It is a 5+ star book for me. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫

message 19: by Mj (last edited Mar 18, 2020 02:56PM) (new)

Mj I am 2/3rds of the way through Ragged Company - a favourite fiction by Richard Wagamese and am loving meeting up with old friends again. Will be using it either for the B2 Bingo reread square or I4. I cry every time I read it.

@ Kathleen - I'm likely one of the every few who has not yet read The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill even once. Am reading it for Bingo - either B1 or O1. I keep taking it out of the library and not getting too far into it. Am really looking forward to finishing it and enjoying it this time. Hope my expectations aren't too high.

message 20: by ❀ Susan (new)

Loved both of those books @Kathleen and @MJ

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 405 comments @Mj -- I hope that you enjoy The Book of Negroes as well as I did. Sometimes we do have our expectations too high and are disappointed. It has happened to me more than once, but not with any thing written by Lawrence Hill. Sure hope your expectations are not too high, Mj. Maybe you better lower your expectations because I do not want you to be disappointed. 💕