YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Raven Tower
This topic is about The Raven Tower
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > The Raven Tower by Anne Leckie - Starting February 4th, 2020

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Twila (new) - added it

Twila | 940 comments For centuries, the kingdom of Iraden has been protected by the god known as the Raven. He watches over his territory from atop a tower in the powerful port of Vastai. His will is enacted through the Raven's Lease, a human ruler chosen by the god himself. His magic is sustained via the blood sacrifice that every Lease must offer. And under the Raven's watch, the city flourishes.

But the power of the Raven is weakening. A usurper has claimed the throne. The kingdom borders are tested by invaders who long for the prosperity that Vastai boasts. And they have made their own alliances with other gods.

It is into this unrest that the warrior Eolo--aide to Mawat, the true Lease--arrives. And in seeking to help Mawat reclaim his city, Eolo discovers that the Raven's Tower holds a secret. Its foundations conceal a dark history that has been waiting to reveal itself...and to set in motion a chain of events that could destroy Iraden forever.

message 2: by Twila (new) - added it

Twila | 940 comments Going to be starting this one a little later today!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments I am reading on my kindle and listening to it. I am having a hard time with the writing style. I am going to try to physical copy from my library.

message 4: by Twila (new) - added it

Twila | 940 comments I read a couple pages and tbh, I'm very worried. Does the second person narration continue for long? I really hope not, I can't stand it.
Is there anything wrong with the audiobook? I was thinking of switching over to that.

message 5: by Twila (new) - added it

Twila | 940 comments There are no chapters, which is sort of annoying, but I'm at around 15%.
I'm finally getting into it a bit. The writing style was killing me in the beginning and I couldn't focus on anything that was happening, but I'm starting to get into the flow now. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) (last edited Feb 05, 2020 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments There is nothing wrong with the audiobook just that I am having a hard time following along with the ebook. I am right there with you about the writing and I am crossing my fingers that it will change once the story really starts.

message 7: by Twila (new) - added it

Twila | 940 comments I'm at 37% now and it's just not getting better for me. Very little is actually happening and it's just so boring. I'm thinking of quitting, but I don't want to ditch you, lol. I'll try to continue to at least 50% and see if I can tough it out to the end.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments I am right there with you about quitting, so if you want to stop I am fine with that.

message 9: by Twila (new) - added it

Twila | 940 comments Alright then! It's just such a bummer. I had high hopes for this. I made it halfway, so I feel good about that, at least. I hope our next reads are better!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 701 comments I had high hopes too and I loved the cover of the book.