Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story that Helped Ignite a Movement by Kantor and Twohey, 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1389 comments "She Said" is the authors' chronicle of their painstaking efforts in unveiling Harvey Weinstein's decades-long sexual abuse of women. To date, over 80 women have made allegations against him. This week his court trial has begun. The journalists' work gave impetus to the #Me Too movement, which soon became a groundswell. Numbers of women stepped forward to speak publicly of their own experiences with sexual harassment and mistreatment. Prominent men in diverse fields have been outed as a result. The authors are careful to note that allegations of wrong doing need to be investigated and corroborated with evidence.

The book is not easy to read, enjoyable or exciting. At times, I plodded through it. Still, "She Said" is eye opening and powerful. It raised my consciousness ten-fold. Our society is forever indebted to these two investigating journalists, Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, as well as the courageous women who went on record to share their stories of sexual abuse.

I have been stunned by how wide-spread sexual harassment and abuse of women is and how it has been tolerated for so long. In this day of denigrating the press as purveyors of "fake news", this book shows us why journalists and a free press are so needed.

I hope to attend an upcoming authors' talk by Kantor and Twohey and meet them in person.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3400 comments Fascinating story and, as you mentioned, these women did amazing journalistic work... do you plan to read Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators also, or just this one?

Also, the trial starts for Harvey Weinstein and this mother fucker is walkin up in a walker... GTFOH. Fucking piece of shit!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments Meli wrote: "Fascinating story and, as you mentioned, these women did amazing journalistic work... do you plan to read Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators also, or..."

I hope he is using the walking because someone beat the crap out him in jail

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments I have this on my wish list. I am sure it is not an easy read, but I know it will be, as you said, a powerful read

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Joanne wrote: "I hope he is using the walking because someone beat the crap out him in jail."

He hasn't been in jail. He is out on $5M bail. Unfortunately. I believe he allegedly had back surgery not long ago.

message 6: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1389 comments I'm interested in all of your comments and hope you all get to read the book. It will be a miscarriage of justice if Weinstein does not get a serious sentence of jail time.

I don't plan on reading Ronan Farrow's book. For now, I'll look for something lighter to read.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm looking forward to reading this. I read Catch and Kill late last year and my mind is still boggling.

message 8: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1389 comments This is mind boggling. What a week! Weinstein is on trial and the impeachment proceedings are going forward.

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7428 comments Predators dominating the news. I really hope neither of them get off. Definitely a book I want to read.

Sexual harassment has been and in truth continues to be omnipresent. Just sickening. And while women have been the overwhelmong victims, gay men are struggling as well. A gay male friend of mine who is a CFO on Wall Street is experiencing it from the male CEO in his company, and I have finally persuaded him to hire a lawyer and do something about it because it is clear to me that the CEO is also setting the CFO up to claim financial chicanery if the CFO tries to bring a harassment suit.

What is it with men, power, and sex?

message 10: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Women are also not immune from being the aggressor....

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7428 comments So true.

message 12: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3400 comments Joanne wrote: "Meli wrote: "Fascinating story and, as you mentioned, these women did amazing journalistic work... do you plan to read [book:Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators|46650..."

Just trying to garner sympathy.

Of course, it is not just males, but statistically it is predominantly men. And I think it comes from a sense of entitlement throughout their lives... not always but there is a theme.

message 13: by Nicole R (last edited Jan 24, 2020 05:03AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I totally agree that it is statistically predominantly men. I had an interesting conversation recently though that by only focusing on men being the harasser/aggressor--usually in combo with a female victim--that it actually makes it less likely for male victims to come forward.

As few women as come forward, an even fewer percentage of men do regardless of whether it is a female aggressor or male aggressor.

Part of what encourages people to come forward is to acknowledge they are not alone. That, unfortunately, there are other victims just like them.

So, I just like to always mention that sexual harassment is not just male on female assault. It happens in all forms. M-F, M-M, F-M, F-F, and all forms of nonbinary interactions.

I never know who may be lurking behind the scenes reading that may benefit from even a general acknowledgement of their situation!

message 14: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3400 comments Totally true and I absolutely agree!

message 15: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7428 comments Nicole R wrote: "I totally agree that it is statistically predominantly men. I had an interesting conversation recently though that by only focusing on men being the harasser/aggressor--usually in combo with a fema..."

So true. One of the hurdles my CFO friend has struggled with is first acknowledging that he is the victim of sexual harassment, that even though he is CFO and therefore himself in a position of power and control, he is a victim without control or power in this. It is vety complicated and challenging.