Archives 2020 > Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson - spoilers included

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
A place to discuss Son of a Trickster

message 2: by ❀ Susan (new)

I have to admit that I almost did not buy a copy of Son of a Trickster! I am ok with swearing and graphic language but really struggle with that “c”word which is sprinkled throughout the first chapter.

During the author event at Laurier University, I cringed hearing that word during the reading. The author shared that she herself does not swear much but her characters do! Lucky for me, I kept an open mind and got carried away with the infections laughter and engaging storytelling of Eden Robinson.

At the launch she was both jovial and teary. her laughing was infectious and she was quite emotional after hearing the glowing comments from her defender.

message 3: by ❀ Susan (new)

If anyone is interested in book 2 of the trilogy, it is on sale at book outlet - https://bookoutlet.ca/Store/Details/9...

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments @Susan, that makes me think of Leanne’s This Accident of Being Lost. She explains that she doesn’t say the word vagina because it means “sword sheath” in Latin therefore she only uses the c***. I loved her book on audio.

message 5: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Sarah wrote: "@Susan, that makes me think of Leanne’s This Accident of Being Lost. She explains that she doesn’t say the word vagina because it means “sword sheath” in Latin therefore she only uses the c***. I l..."

Thanks for this Sarah! I love it :D

message 6: by ❀ Susan (new)

LOL - that word just makes me cringe... but then i am one for proper terms for body parts also. :)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments @Susan as am I, I find medical personnel tend to prefer the correct terms.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne (artemis91) | 43 comments So I just finished this book last night... at 1AM. I couldn't stop reading! Jared is just so easy to want to follow... he's snarky and sarcastic, but also so kind. I couldn't help but want to see where he ended up. Especially once the magic started to expose itself to him. It took me a while to think about how this book brings Canada into focus, but then I interpreted the magic as the power that comes from knowing your heritage (in a knowledge is power kind of way). Its pretty clear Jared isn't connected with his indigenous history, or current indigenous events, but as his relationship grew with people who were connected, so too did the magic expose itself. I think I need to think more on that, but I thought it was an interesting way to think about the book.

message 9: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (joanna_g) | 33 comments I read this one a couple years ago, and remember enjoying it, but not much else about it. Wasn't sure whether or not I would do a re-read but now that I'm really getting into Canada Reads, I think I might have to!

message 10: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1195 comments I read Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson about 3 years ago and rated it 3 stars. I thought the book had a great central character and supporting cast. Unfortunately, after a while the bleak subject matter just wore me down. It is not that I hadn’t read a lot of Indigenous books prior to this read and understood the cause of the bleakness - Indigenous history, colonization and mistreatment. However, it seemed to go on and on with nothing new added. I felt like I was being hammered over the head by the same point again and again.

I did appreciate Eden's various descriptions of the spirit world in this book. It was something new to me and isn’t often found or integrated into books so I had been looking forward to learning something new. I confess to being confused by by the spirit stories at times and wasn’t sure if it was because the writing could have been tighter or caused my unfamiliarity with the topic.

I had read Robinson’s Monkey Beach about 5 years before and really enjoyed it. I thought the writing and characters were great and was fully engaged throughout in the relationships and plot of the story.

For this reason, I am planning a re-read of Son of a Trickster (not something I usually do) to make sure I do the book justice for Canada Reads, ensuring that my 3 star rating wasn’t my circumstances and head space that were the issue 3 years ago.

message 11: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) | 121 comments Oh wow. This book was something else. I started out not liking it and trying to figure out why, since everyone else seemed to like it. As I kept going, I became so attached to Jared. What a kid! He's his own worst enemy and yet such a good friend to so many. Including his mother. Watching good people become bad people due to addictions was so difficult for me. It hit too close to home, and I don't know if I am as loving as the people in this book. The way Jared kept paying for his father's rent ... this broke my heart. I am glad I finished it. I hope it does well in Canada Reads, I'm curious to hear what the panenlists say about it.

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne (artemis91) | 43 comments What do we all think this book brings into focus?

message 13: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (joanna_g) | 33 comments So I just finished a reread of this and enjoyed it more than my first read - went from a 3 star to a 4 star for me. I think last time I just felt that so much was unresolved? Like the things Jared was seeing never really built to anything. And maybe now that the sequel's out I feel better that it will go somewhere.

As for what it brings into focus, for me it's clearly about some of the challenges that many Indigenous people face today, but I think most particularly the idea of disconnection from cultural knowledge. Jared had no idea what was going on when things started appearing to him - he didn't seem to have any idea about who Wee'git was, historically. If he'd been more connected to his culture, things might have made more sense to him? For his family, it may just be because his mother has chosen to cut ties with everyone. I'm interested to see, from the synopsis of the sequel if he starts getting more information.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne (artemis91) | 43 comments Joanna -- I had the same thought about the disconnection from culture. I can't wait to read the next books!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments I gave this story 4 stars. @Joanna and @Anne I agree with you on the cultural disconnect. I just bought the sequel and can’t wait to start it!

message 16: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 279 comments I gave it four stars as well! Here is my review, without any spoilers: This novel was so unusual I'm not sure I can do it justice. It is wonderfully clever and creative and inventive. The dialogue is sharp and wickedly funny. Yet the story about an indigenous 16-year-old boy named Jared struggling with his dysfunctional family in a small British Columbia town is also very depressing. His mother is so violent that he literally fears she might kill someone. Drugs and alcohol are so endemic to the indigenous characters that they are basically part of the culture. When Jared wants his mother to stop using, her boyfriend tells him that he is disrespecting their traditions. Jared himself is high much of the time -- I don't think I've ever read a book in which vomiting is mentioned so frequently. Both he and the reader assume his hallucinations are drug-related, but it turns out that Jared has unwittingly tapped into the spirit world. It's a crazy ride, but I'm glad I went along for the great ending.