Play Book Tag discussion

January 2020: Thriller > Poll Ballot Tag - 11/22/63 - 5 stars for my first Stephen King!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 701 comments Team: Jade Dragons
State and Tag: Maine - Stephen King
Page: 1 of the TAG

Blurb: WHAT IF you could go back in time and change the course of history? WHAT IF the watershed moment you could change was the JFK assassination? 11.22.63, the date that Kennedy was shot - unless . . .

King takes his protagonist Jake Epping, a high school English teacher from Lisbon Falls, Maine, 2011, on a fascinating journey back to 1958 - from a world of mobile phones and iPods to a new world of Elvis and JFK, of Plymouth Fury cars and Lindy Hopping, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life - a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

With extraordinary imaginative power, King weaves the social, political and popular culture of his baby-boom American generation into a devastating exercise in escalating suspense.

Review: I have avoided Stephen King for as long as I remember as I really don't do horror so this 5 star review is not what I expected to give - I can't watch The Matrix or Pan's Labyrinth as they are both too scary for me (this may be due to my health problems - I stopped watching after the bodies in the blood pools for the first series of films, and the creature with no eyes for the second).

However after reading this book I think I may be able to tolerate some of his books. And even though it's my first book by him, even I can recognise the mention of Pennywise - he's such a well-known figure in popular culture!

Can you please recommend some more of his books? I love the Gothic genre and I've said above what level of horror is too scary for me!

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments You picked a good one for the first! The Green Mile is pretty good. I really like Misery but it is FULL ON so I don't know if it is for you. I've not read it, but his memoir On Writing gets rave reviews. The Mr Mercedes trilogy is good if you like crime fiction. He wrote a novel with Peter Straub, The Talisman, that I adored when I was younger. I wonder if I still would.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 701 comments Susie wrote: "You picked a good one for the first! The Green Mile is pretty good. I really like Misery but it is FULL ON so I don't know if it is for you. I've not read it, but his memoir On Writing gets rave re..."

Thank you! I've had The Green Mile and Mr Mercedes both recommended to me from another group, so will look into those (definitely interested in the trilogy as I love crime fiction)! I have 'On Writing' on my Kindle already (at one point I considered becoming a writer!) so that will be on my TBR at some point.

Misery has also been recommended to me, but by what you've said I don't think it will be for me.

message 4: by Joi (last edited Jan 23, 2020 04:08PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I've been wanting to read this for ages, but it's page count has me running scared!

I read my first Stephen King last year (maybe 2 years) with Mr. Mercedes. Hoping to continue that series this year.

message 5: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6183 comments It is a long book but a fast read. This is one of my favorite books of all time. I wouldn't say that I am a Stephen King fan either.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6001 comments Try Dolores Claiborne (spousal abuse is a main theme)

or

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (a bit scary as a young girl is lost in the woods ... but NOT horror)

Going back to his early days when he sometimes wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman:
Blaze (an homage to Stenbeck's OF MICE AND MEN)
The Running Man (game show contestant will win big if he can stay alive for 30 days ...)

message 7: by annapi (last edited Jan 24, 2020 03:32PM) (new)

annapi | 5068 comments I'm not a Stephen King fan but I enjoyed Firestarter, it's not so much horror as thriller - about a little girl with pyrokinetic ability.

Also there's his sorta-autobiography, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, which was excellent.

I liked 11/22/63 too though I thought it had a few flaws - gave it 4 stars.