Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Long Bright River
This topic is about Long Bright River
Group Read - Long Bright River > Group Read - Long Bright River 50%-75% Spoilers Welcome

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Spoilers welcome discussion topic #3 for 50% - 75% of Long Bright River. If the first to post please briefly summarize to guide the discussion and try to explain where the narrative cuts off if possible.

message 2: by Geri (last edited Jan 29, 2020 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Geri Section ends: When, at last, she opened her eyes, her expression changed quickly from disorientation to confusion to surprise to shame. And then just as rapidly her eyes filled with tears. “He told you.” She said. I said nothing in response. I wasn’t certain yet what she meant. She sat up and lowered her head into her hands. “I’m so sorry, Mickey.” Kasey was saying over and over again.

- Truman undercover sees a picture of Kacey that Dock shows him.

- Mickey goes to Dock’s place, an abandoned home.

- Dock shows up badly beaten. He tells Mickey he has no idea where Kasey could be. He also mentions Thomas, which Mickey takes as a threat.

- Thomas’ birthday party at McDonalds.

- Simon shows up with his wife and baby. His wife walks out. He tells Mickey he doesn’t know where Mickey lives.

- Mrs. Mann tells Mickey man who stopped by was tall, white, tattoo on neck, and wearing sweatshirt.

- Mickey is told she is under investigation. She is put on suspension.

- Mickey visits Truman. Truman reveals he knows about Simon. And tells her Simon has a “reputation” for doing that with other young women as well.

- Mickey is staking out Simon. She recognizes the house Simon drives to. It’s the house where Mickey first found her sister dead.

- The woman at the house, Rita, thinks Mickey is an addict just out of rehab. She takes addicts in when they need help. After showing Rita a picture of Kasey, Rita tells Mickey to leave.

- Truman tells Mickey her sister’s picture isn’t on the pimp’s phone anymore.

- Mickey is told that the culprit is found. It is Robert Mulvey Jr..

- Mickey kisses Truman. He tells her he is seeing someone, Sheila. He is trying to get back together with her.

- Mickey arrives home to find her son and babysitter not there.

- Thomas and Bethany are back. They went to mall with Bethany’s boyfriend in his car.

- Mrs. Mann gives Thomas a chess board. They have dinner and get to know each other. Mrs. Mann reveals she used to be a nun before she married her husband, Patrick.

- Glass pane close to door handle is broken at Gee’s house.

- Gee tells Mickey that 2 months ago Kasey came by and they argued. Next day someone broke into her house.

- Mickey discovers papers in the floorboards, checks and letters from her father, after Mickey thought he was dead. Gee tells Mickey that Kasey was expecting.

OMalleycat | 1448 comments I’m not even to 60% yet, so I squinted through Geri’s summaries because I just have to say, jeez, I didn’t even have to read for 30 more minutes before my worst worry about Mickey played out. Investigated by Internal Affairs! Ahearn is a rat but I wonder who’s watching her. I suspect Alonzo because of the details of what she left in his store. But why?

I left Mickey in the IA office because I had to jump on and say, OMG! So I don’t know what’s going to happen but at least she isn’t falling completely apart . . .yet.

message 4: by OMalleycat (last edited Feb 04, 2020 10:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

OMalleycat | 1448 comments For a perfectionist and closely guarded person, Mickey didn’t fall apart at IA’s report the way I thought she would.

I was sooo on edge when Mickey sneaked in Dock’s house. What was she thinking!?! Anything to find Kacey, I guess.

The birthday party was so sad and awkward that I cringed the whole time I was reading it. With that and her kiss with Truman I’m cringing and so sorry that Mickey is finally reaching out a little and getting cosmic thwacks for her effort.

Then Simon shows up. “Out of all the fast food joints in all the world. . .” It was too much of a coincidence and Simon doesn’t seem like the McDonald’s type but the rest of the book, so far, is so good that I give Moore a pass.

But the way Simon treated Thomas. OMG!

Why was the woman at the rehab house so hostile after finding out Mickey is Kacey’s sister?

Do we really believe Robert Mulvey is the murderer? I knew Mickey had met someone else with very light blue eyes, but I’d forgotten the guy at the murder scene. I thought it was the guy who whacked Truman. But did Mulvey do it or are the police using him to cover up?

Who’s the guy who knows where Mickey lives? I panicked when Thomas and the babysitter disappeared. After Matilda’s disappearance in Blood Orange I’m officially over my annual quota of disappearing kids.

Mickey’s suspension was a nice little interlude (once she gave up the freelance detecting). That and Mrs. Mahon being a source of connection and support gives me hope for Mickey.

Then she goes and finds the stuff about her father and realizes Gee has been lying her whole life. Mean spirited lying. I’m hoping Mickey can develop a circle of friends and cut off completely from her family. I’m not sure where Kacey could fit into that unless her disappearance is another try at getting clean—and it sticks this time.

Geri Yes, there were some suspenseful moments for sure! Mickey going into Dock’s house was one. And when the babysitter and Thomas went missing was another. I really couldn’t stand the babysitter! Another bad parenting decision by Mickey, holding onto a bad babysitter for so long. But I guess that led Mickey to get to know her landlady better. She was definitely a much needed warm and grandmotherly influence on Mickey and Thomas!

And Simon...yes, what a crappy guy! But I had to laugh at your , “Out of all the fast food joints in all the world. . .” Too true!

message 6: by Ann (last edited Feb 09, 2020 07:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Geri and Jan -- stressful is an understatement. I thought it was sort of sweet, and sad that Mickey was surprised and blindsided by the IA investigation turning towards her instead of the suspects she reported.
I suppose her police training makes Mickey unafraid to go into the abandoned houses, back rooms and Dock's house, but take your weapon!!!

OMalleycat wrote: "For a perfectionist and closely guarded person, Mickey didn’t fall apart at IA’s report the way I thought she would.

I was sooo on edge when Mickey sneaked in Dock’s house. What was she thinking!?..."

message 7: by Ann (last edited Mar 08, 2020 11:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Thomas's birthday party at McDonald's was such a traumatic experience for Thomas when Simon shunned him. What (if any) small glimmer of feelings Mickey felt for Simon must have been squashed for good. But Thomas, my heart broke for him.
At least one of the other two mothers was kind to Mickey.

Bonnie | 356 comments I am going to skip right to the last discussion since this section was so amazing I read until after 1:00 last night finishing the book. Mickey has really crap support systems. I am happy she's making friends with Mrs. Mann but sure wish Truman had panned out for her- despite being a lot older.

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Bonnie wrote: "I am going to skip right to the last discussion since this section was so amazing I read until after 1:00 last night finishing the book..."

Bonnie, when I saw there were comments on both the final threads I knew before I read your post that you had sped through the end of the book. I stayed up late too. It was compelling reading!

Kathryn in FL (kathryninapopka) | 8 comments Thank you ladies, I was sitting here reading your comments and totally agree with your observations.
I was taken aback that she was under investigation.
Then when she entered Doc's house, I thought she was crazy. I was on the edge of my seat.
That encounter with Simon had me wanting to slap him in the face! I just wanted to hug the stuffing out of Thomas when he was so wounded.

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Kathryn- Yes, yes someone needs to give little Thomas (and Mickey both) big hugs in general and especially after the McDonalds birthday party. That scene is still vividly in my mind weeks later. Mickey reached way out of her comfort zone to make Thomas’s birthday special and then Simon.

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Kathryn in FL wrote: ".. That encounter with Simon had me wanting to slap him in the face! I just wanted to hug the stuffing out of Thomas when he was so wounded"

Oh yes! It’s been a couple of months since I read this book and even still I cringe at the memory of Simon showing up at the birthday party. What a louse!

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I haven't commented till now because I am so far behind with reading this, and your comments have covered it all, nothing new to say. But pardon me while I me too:
-Mickey's suspension is a mixed blessing in that it stopped the crazy detecting;
- "ouch" and "ew" at the MacDonald's scene. Simon is such a scumbag. i can only hope that his jackassery (my new favorite word) is clear to his new age-inappropriate wife.
- Mickey certainly needs some friends/sources of support. I hope she is able to forge lasting, healthy bonds with Mrs. Mann, Truman, the mom of one of the kids who came to the ill-fated birthday party

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments One thing I didn't quite follow with the documents in the flooroards. Did Kacey place them there or Gee? If Kacey, how did she get them? If Gee, how did the girls not see them earlier if this was their hiding place?

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Carol: My distance-fuzzy memory thought Kacey found the documents somewhere else and in the hope that Mickey would find them someday, put them in the floorboard hiding place. I don't recall if we were told how she found them, but I assume Gee had them stashed somewhere.... am I dreaming it was somewhere in a basement? Kasey could have been snooping.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "One thing I didn't quite follow with the documents in the flooroards. Did Kacey place them there or Gee? If Kacey, how did she get them? If Gee, how did the girls not see them earlier if this was t..."

message 16: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Agreed Carol -- Simon was a serious scumbag. I like the description, jackassery!

message 17: by OMalleycat (last edited Jun 02, 2020 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Simon is such a scumbag. i can only hope that his jackassery (my new favorite word) is clear to his new age-inappropriate wife.."

Ah, one of the great things about about a very young wife is that she may have as-yet undeveloped skill at detecting jackassery.

One thing I didn't quite follow with the documents in the flooroards. Did Kacey place them there or Gee? If Kacey, how did she get them? If Gee, how did the girls not see them earlier if this was their hiding place?

I concur with Ann’s fuzzy memories. (Do two fuzzy memories bring more clarity or just a giant ball of fuzz?) Kacey hid the papers in the hidey hole in hopes Mickey would find them (wouldn’t it have been a lot more direct to just give them to her? Or if they’re not speaking, mail them? But that’s not how mystery plots are made!) I also remember Kacey finding them in a basement but I don’t remember why she was going through Gee’s papers.

Barbara K | 414 comments I’m equally fuzzy n the documents in the floorboards point, except that it seemed like a safe, maybe almost sacred, place to Kacey in her somewhat fractured existence.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments I can clarify the basement search but it wasn't explained until later in the book so I'll see if it gets covered in subsequent threads.

message 20: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Good to know Carol: This book stuck with me more than some others.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I can clarify the basement search but it wasn't explained until later in the book so I'll see if it gets covered in subsequent threads."