Books on the Nightstand discussion

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2763 comments Mod
1. The dates for this year's Booktopia are Friday, May 1 and Saturday, May 2. Of course many of us arrive on Thursday night.

2. We can now sign-up by going to :https://www.eventbrite.com/e/booktopi...

3. The author line-up has not been announced, however, Stephen Kiernan acknowledged a bit ago that he would be one of the authors. His new book, Universe of Two will be released on May 5. I'm guessing, from past experience, we will be able to buy this book the weekend of Booktopia.

4. A wild guess on my part is who 3 other authors are https://www.facebook.com/photo.phpfbi...

5. The Inn at Manchester is accepting reservations at Booktopia rates. Hotel partners who have special rates for you good people: the Inn at Manchester, the Equinox, The Kimpton Taconic, and Hampton Suites.

6. Feel free to ask questions, I will do my very best to get answers.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Wolak (chriswolak) | 22 comments Thanks for posting this, Linda. Made my hotel reservation last week. Can't wait! The link in #4 isn't working for me. :(

message 3: by Linda (last edited Jan 22, 2020 07:48PM) (new)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

I tested, Chris, this one worked. Thanks for letting me know.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments so exciting!!! I can't wait. it's my favorite weekend every year.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 200 comments Bring back Asheville!!

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Jenny - now that I live in NC - I agree!! :)

message 7: by Linda (new)

On Facebook, Daffyd has been giving hints to authors who will be coming since he can't release the author list.

So far he's given us Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery by Rosalie Knecht Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery and Enter the Aardvark by Jessica Anthony Enter the Aardvark (which is presently a GoodReads giveaway.)

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Linda wrote: "On Facebook, Daffyd has been giving hints to authors who will be coming since he can't release the author list.

So far he's given us Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery by Rosalie Knecht [book:Vera Kel..."

I'm crossing my fingers the Ariel Lawhon is coming back!!!

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (pinkrain718) | 33 comments I'm devastated that I cannot attend this year due to a work trip. However I will be reading alongside all of you. Thanks for sending these tips along!

message 10: by Linda (new)

Nicole wrote: "I'm devastated that I cannot attend this year due to a work trip. However I will be reading alongside all of you. Thanks for sending these tips along!"

: > (

Katherine wrote: "Linda wrote: "On Facebook, Daffyd has been giving hints to authors who will be coming since he can't release the author list.

So far he's given us Vera Kelly Is Not A Mystery by Rosalie Knecht ..."

I told Daffyd that Ariel wants to come. We'll see.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Today's clue on Facebook led us to The Lost Book of Adana Moreau by Michael Zapata The Lost Book of Adana Moreau

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 553 comments Mod
Nicole wrote: "I'm devastated that I cannot attend this year due to a work trip. However I will be reading alongside all of you. Thanks for sending these tips along!"

Say it isn't so! How about your mom?

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (pinkrain718) | 33 comments Have no fear, Carol! Quite the Woulfe pack will be attending this year including my mom, sister and sister-in-law.

message 14: by Linda (new)

To bring all up to date, these are the authors and books that Dafydd has revealed so far:

Stephen Kiernan - Universe of Two
Mary Norris - Greek to Me
Rosalie Knecht - Vera Kelly Is Not a Mystery
Jessica Anthony - Enter the Aardvark
Michael Zapata - The Lost Book of Adana Moreau
Megan Giddings - Lakewood
Emily Bernard - Black Is the Body

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen | 293 comments Nicole wrote: "Have no fear, Carol! Quite the Woulfe pack will be attending this year including my mom, sister and sister-in-law."

YEAH for the Woulfe pack!!!!! But I'm still going to try convince you to dump your work trip :)

message 16: by Linda (last edited Feb 09, 2020 12:18PM) (new)

This appears to be THE list with publication dates:

Stephen Kiernan - Universe of Two (May5)
Mary Norris - Greek to Me (April 2, 2019)
Rosalie Knecht - Vera Kelly Is Not a Mystery (June 16)
Jessica Anthony - Enter the Aardvark (March 24)
Michael Zapata - The Lost Book of Adana Moreau (February 4)
Megan Giddings - Lakewood (March 24)
Emily Bernard - Black Is the Body (January 29, 2019)
Molly Pohlig - The Unsuitable (April 14)
Rebecca Dinerstein Knight - Hex (March 31)
Craig Popelars, publisher at Tin House

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments Thanks, Linda!

message 18: by Deb (new)

Deb | 92 comments Thanks Linda!!

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (thenovelbutterfly) | 101 comments I am all signed up!

message 20: by Linda (new)

Info on Booktopia shared on Facebook:

https://www.northshire.com/booktopia-...

message 21: by Linda (new)

From Northshire Books:

Dear friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I'm telling you what you probably suspected. We have chosen to cancel Booktopia 2020. With the CDC recommending a hiatus on all events of 50 or more people for at least the next eight weeks, Booktopia 2020 is firmly within that window. I will immediately begin issuing refunds (it's a slow process through Eventbrite, please bear with me).

On the bright side, every author (at least those from whom I've so far heard--and our friends and founders Michael Kindness and Ann Kingman) has been enthusiastic about livestreaming a special event for you. We are excited about what the digital program will have in store, and I look forward to announcing it to you in the future.

I'm thinking a lot about Northshire Bookstore's mission to build community, albeit a digital one. Follow us on social media, stay part of the conversation, stay part of our digital community of bibliophiles.

And please remember, we offer free shipping for orders through our website www.northshire.com and now over the phone too. And if you're local we've just started a program of curbside pickup!

In the meantime consider also supporting us through audiobooks at Libro.fm, by purchasing gift cards, joining our Selects Program, or becoming a Readers' Rewards Member.

And one last thing: have you heard of BINC, the Book Industry Charitable Foundation? They are a great program who help booksellers in financial straits. They are receiving an unprecedented number of requests for help--several every hour. In these times, if you are lucky enough to be in a position to donate, booksellers across the country need your support.

Thank you friends; I will miss you all.

And please, please be cautious,
Dafydd Wood

message 22: by Linda (last edited Mar 31, 2020 11:36AM) (new)

From Dafydd via Facebook:

We're adapting our event program for the new reality. Join us via Zoom every Thursday at 5 pm--starting this week on Thursday, April 2nd.
Northshire Bookstore's motto is "Building Community One Book at a Time." To support this mission in a time of social distancing event managers Rachel Person & Dafydd Wood will host a weekly Northshire Live virtual meetup featuring guest authors and the opportunity to be part of a wide-ranging conversation with other readers and book lovers.
The first virtual community gathering will feature Steve Sheinkin as our guest author. He will join the conversation remotely to talk about his most recent book Born to Fly and his current work in progress. Visit our website or check the first comment below for the Zoom link. See you soon!
Here is the schedule of events as it stands now:
April 2nd at 5 pm: Steve Sheinkin
April 9th at 5 pm: Janice Shade
April 16th at 5pm: Julia Spencer-Fleming
April 23 at 5 pm: TaraShea Nesbit & Kim Van Alkemade

message 23: by Carol (new)

A nice line-up of authors. Hope to attend some.
Thanks for posting this here Linda.

message 24: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Hi, all! We are going to do a Virtual Yankee Book Swap since we can't all be together this weekend for our normal YBS.

For those of you on FB - check out the Fans of Booktopia page for details. If you aren't on FB, please message me here on Goodreads and I'll send you info :)

message 25: by Linda (new)

Thanks to all of the interest, we will be doing a Virtual Yankee Book Swap in honor of Booktopia!!
TL;DR - if you want to participate, fill out this google doc form. Please pass this on to other Booktopians who may not be on Facebook or have them email me at katherine.sikes@gmail.com. Deadline to signup is Monday, May 4th, at 5:00 pm EDT. You must order or mail your book NLT Friday, May 8th.
https://forms.gle/i3QMYofKj9TXg2i56

On Monday evening, I will run an excel simulation to select names to decide who will ship to whom; I'll do a check to make sure nobody is buying for someone at the same address, or that there's not an obvious family pairing - otherwise it's all up to chance!
Purchasing from Northshire Bookstore is heartily encouraged! After all, we would normally all be there this weekend to purchase copious amounts of books - let's pretend we still are :) (I mean, we kinda need them to stay in business if we're going to have a shot at getting Booktopia back...)
The book you send can be new or gently used (but still in like-new condition), though you might want to resist the urge to send a popular book. If you are ordering a new book and there's room for a gift note, you can send a short explanation for why you selected the book you're gifting, or slip a note into a book that you are mailing yourself.
When receive your book, don't open it right away - we'll either set up a Zoom to open them together or start a new thread and people can post pictures of the books they receive.
Check back here - I'll edit this with other FAQ as they arise.
FAQ:
Q: How will I get the info I need to mail my book? A: I will email you Monday evening with a name and address. Make sure that you check your spam folders if you haven't received anything by Tuesday morning.
Q: Is my address safe with you? A: Yes, I promise not to share your address (either physical or email) with anyone other than the person sending you a book. (I also will refrain from sending you a glitter bomb or signing you up for a new religion or any other mail related shenanigans. It will be hard, but I'll refrain.) However, please note that I will have to share your mailing address with the person who is mailing to you, and I have no way of containing it after that.
Q: What if I receive a book I already own or have read? A: Doh! Well, unfortunately, it's a possibility considering the well-read crew that is participating, and the downside of a Virtual Yankee Book Swap is that there is no stealing so you won't be able to immediately change out your duplicate book. But there are many options to rid yourself of a duplicate book, including swapping with a local friend (following appropriate social distancing protocols, obvi); mailing it to me; donating to a library or school; mailing it to me; posting in the Fans of Booktopia page to see if anyone wants to swap with you; mailing it to me; or mailing it to me. ;)
Q: Can I post this googledoc on Social Media so everyone can join? A: Since we're sharing addresses (only with one person each, but still), it's probably best to keep this to our Booktopia community or limited other book lovers rather than posting to the public at large (such as on a blog, booktube, book twitter, or bookstagram account.) Please feel free to forward the googledoc signup to Booktopians you know who aren't on FB.
Q: When are the deadlines? A: You must submit the Googledoc NLT Monday, May 4th, at 5:00 pm EDT. You must mail or order your book NLT Friday, May 8th. If you cannot commit to mailing a book by May 8th, please do not sign up. You will have a very disappointed Booktopian on the other end, and really, haven't we all had enough Booktopia-related sadness this year?
Q: When will we reveal the books we got? A: I dunno. Heck, we just decided to do this thing Monday, I don't have it all figured out yet! (We've got about two weeks before anyone starts receiving a book, so we've got some time to figure it out. Feel free to drop some suggestions in the comments below.)

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 99 comments Linda wrote: "Thanks to all of the interest, we will be doing a Virtual Yankee Book Swap in honor of Booktopia!!
TL;DR - if you want to participate, fill out this google doc form. Please pass this on to other B..."

Thank you for doing this Linda! We all need something to look forward to right now!

message 27: by Linda (new)

Today, May 5, at 5 p.m. EDT, Northshire Books is holding an on-line meet-up to discuss the staff's favorite books (similar to "This Gift Card is Burning a Hole in my Pocket". Info in their newsletter. Any trouble getting on - I'll try to help, just let me know.

Starting Thursday, May 7 at 5 p.m. they will have sessions with should-have-been-Booktopian authors.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 99 comments Do I go on to their website to access this?

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 99 comments Signed up for the weekly events at Northshire Manchester. Hopefully I'll get the zoom info for later today! If not, there's always next time. Thank you for letting me know about it.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Karen wrote: "Do I go on to their website to access this?"

Karen, yes, but you have to hunt a bit, so I'm sending the newsletter to the e-mail address I've had for you (from 5 years ago). If you don't get that, or have changed your e-mail address, let me know.

message 31: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Oh my just saw this. Never been to a Booktopia . I guess I’m lazy. I’ll check their site. A tough part of the day for me because I’m the mom/cook at our home since my mom died and I cook around 5pm. Will this event get captured for streaming if I miss it? Thank you for your help.

message 32: by Linda (new)

Gerald wrote: "Oh my just saw this. Never been to a Booktopia . I guess I’m lazy. I’ll check their site. A tough part of the day for me because I’m the mom/cook at our home since my mom died and I cook around 5pm..."

Okay, Gerald, if you go to Northshire's website, look under "events" and the information is on that page, but, you have to read carefully to find the link. OR I can send you my newsletter for easier access. Just message me your e-mail.

I do not know if they will capture it. There is discussion about recording the actual author sessions.

I would encourage you to attend a Booktopia. I have not missed one and I have made so many good friends. It's the highlight of my year - and I know others feel the same way. You can not imagine the "high" we experience intermingling with like-minded readers and authors.

I understand about the timing. I've already told my husband that he's responsible for supper tonight.

message 33: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Linda thank you. My email is browstip@gmail.com
Thanks

message 34: by Linda (new)

Sent, Gerald.

message 35: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Miller | 808 comments Thanks Again.

message 36: by Linda (new)

Here is the list of books talked about during yesterday's Zoom meeting with the booksellers from Northshire:

https://www.northshire.com/blog/dwood...

message 37: by Carol (new)

Gerald wrote: "Oh my just saw this. Never been to a Booktopia . I guess I’m lazy. I’ll check their site. A tough part of the day for me because I’m the mom/cook at our home since my mom died and I cook around 5pm..."

This is a hard time of day for me also. My husband has always liked to have dinner between 5&5:30PM. Even in retirement we tend to stick to that routine.

I asked if he wouldn't mind if we postponed for the book talking and we did hold dinner. So, I did get to attend this one.

I believe Northshire stated these would be available to watch. I see our Linda linked to the blog post by Daffyd Wood recapping the books discussed.

Perhaps you'll join us one day at Booktopia.

message 38: by Linda (new)

If you are taking part in the virtual Yankee Swap, this was posted on Facebook. If post your answer here, I will make sure to get the info to the organizer AND let you know the outcome:

If you vote for Zoom, let me know if the comments if you prefer Friday, May 22nd 7:30 PM EDT; Saturday, May 23rd 2:00 PM EDT; or Sunday, May 24th 2:00 PM EDT. (The dates are so far out because a lot of shipments are being delayed right now - this should give everyone time to receive their books since everyone should be mailing or ordering by this evening.)

Zoom call - comment below which date(s) work for you
Voters for this option

FB thread where everyone opens on their own time and posts a picture of what they received
Voters for this option

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen Brown (khbrown) | 99 comments I'm no longer on facebook so I'd prefer the Zoom call. Slight preference for Friday, May 22 at 7:30 pm.

message 40: by Linda (new)

Karen wrote: "I'm no longer on facebook so I'd prefer the Zoom call. Slight preference for Friday, May 22 at 7:30 pm."

Gotcha!

message 41: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katsikes) | 171 comments Hi, everyone! For those doing the Virtual Yankee Book Swap:

Ok, zoom it is! It looks like preference was split between Friday night and Saturday afternoon for the Zoom but we had more who said they couldn't do Friday night. So let's plan for Saturday, May 23rd, at 2:00 PM EDT.
For those unable to join the Zoom, Linda has very kindly offered her services to compile the list of books and will post in here (Facebook) and on Goodreads.
Zoom info to follow (side note - does anyone have a paid zoom account so we aren't cut off after 40 minutes).

message 42: by Linda (new)

Hi, Virtual Yankee Book Swap participants!
By now I hope you all have received a fun bookish shaped package in the mail. If not, have faith - there's still a little time left before our big reveal zoom on Saturday!
The zoom info is below; a big thank you to Loretta for letting us use her zoom so we don't have a 40 min time limit. Please sign in and have your (hopefully still wrapped or unopened...) book nearby. After you've opened your book, the person who gifted it to you may choose to say a few words about why they selected that particular book. The goods news, though, is that there's no stealing - well, except for people are who co-located - I make no rules about inter-family book stealing ;)
For those who cannot make it - I am truly sorry we didn't have a time that worked for everyone. But we will compile a list of the books revealed in the zoom meeting and post a list on FB and Goodreads so you can see what others received and post your own as well.
Only a little bit longer - the anticipation is so great!!!! It's been *really* hard not to open that package yet :)

PS I have confirmation from everyone that books have been mailed or ordered, so if for some reason you haven't received your book by our Saturday zoom, please let me know - I can coordinate tracking information for you.

ZOOM INFO:
Topic: Booktopia Secret Santa
Time: May 23, 2020 02:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/98926386938?pwd=Nmd...

Meeting ID: 989 2638 6938
Password: 294626
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,98926386938#,,1#,294626# US (Chicago)
+16465588656,,98926386938#,,1#,294626# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 989 2638 6938
Password: 294626
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/adTn3r7E4U