Play Book Tag discussion

Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
This topic is about Die Trying
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll Tally] Die Trying by Lee Child - 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Jan 22, 2020 03:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Theresa | 6330 comments When I went to figure out if I had read this or not (even though I marked it 'read' here, there was no review or rating which was odd), I got sucked right back in and ended up re-reading it in a day! I give this a 4.5 star rating as a result, only losing a half star because I did not remember the plot details until I'd been enmeshed again in the story. Ultimately that did not matter to my enjoyment, but still, it should have stuck more with me from my first reading in 2017.

Reacher is just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and helps the wrong person. Chicago FBI agent Holly Johnson messed up her knee playing soccer, now forced to get around using a crutch. When she nearly falls while juggling door, crutch and dry cleaning as she exists the cleaners, Reacher, who is just walking by, helps her only to find himself kidnapped along with Holly. Thus within pages, you are in the midst of a well-orchestrated kidnapping. As the story progresses, you not only see what is happening to Holly and Reacher, but you also see the FBI team (rather bumbling), pathologists (pretty dang impressive) and systems (fail too often), Holly's dad General Johnson at the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial, and one scary sociopath of a villain.

I liked the somewhat deliberate, even flat, tone often used in the non-Reacher passages. It almost reads like excerpts from the FBI report that was no doubt filed. Reacher himself continues to engage as he once again puts his Military MP training to good use in the real world.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7249 comments Yea! I liked the first book in the series, and planned to get to number 2 when next I need a guilty pleasure read. Good to know it is worth the read!

Tien (tiensblurb) | 717 comments I've read only 3 of this series and I liked this one best!

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nice review.